PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know where the 197 submarine video is?

defender1009
04-21-2008, 11:27 AM
Trying to find that video of the powerslide gone wrong in the red 197, but it looks like it's been taken off youtube. Just wanted to show it to my father-in-law.

Anyone know where else I could find it?

454Prostar190
04-21-2008, 11:34 AM
I've been looking for it too, for months, and I think that the original poster removed it! I agree.... That was a great video to share!

Chas
04-21-2008, 11:39 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68AOltMu768

coz
04-21-2008, 11:43 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68AOltMu768

I'm reporting that guy for abuse :confused: it would have been better if they ended up swimming and the boat went down. I hate to see people do stupid stuff like that.

Chas
04-21-2008, 11:46 AM
I sure wish there was more info - it seems the boat is running (in reverse) when it finally popped up. Notice water going over the bow. I would love to know if the engine kept going, and if he was able to motor back to the dock as the pump(s) emptied the water out.

Would the water level get high enough to flood the starter? I bet his stereo is toast - soggy toast, but toast.

defender1009
04-21-2008, 11:50 AM
Thanks Chas!

6ballsisall
04-21-2008, 11:53 AM
I thought I remember reading or hearing something about the boat was/is for sale. ICBW though

Maristar210
04-21-2008, 11:53 AM
What's the diplomatic immunity policy of Iranian residents?

Upper Michigan Prostar190
04-21-2008, 11:58 AM
I saw a 197 almost get swamped once. bigtime!!!! not a pretty sight.

454Prostar190
04-21-2008, 12:09 PM
Thanks Chas! Like I said, I have been looking for this for months! Rick

fintek9
04-21-2008, 12:19 PM
No kiddin! My nephew ask about this yesterday and couldn't find it. Cool thanks Chas.

David4MCSammyDuvall
04-21-2008, 01:36 PM
Jeez. How did that happen ???? I wanted to know what caused the boat to go under the water. I watched repeatly and couldnt figure it out. Please tell me how did that happen so I can avoid this happen to my baby MC. Pretty scary !!!!

defender1009
04-21-2008, 01:55 PM
Jeez. How did that happen ???? I wanted to know what caused the boat to go under the water. I watched repeatly and couldnt figure it out. Please tell me how did that happen so I can avoid this happen to my baby MC. Pretty scary !!!!

Just be sure not to hit the "dive button" before going into a turn.....it's located just below the bilge pump button. :D

What I heard though was that it was just bad coinidence---the guy hit a roller right as he was going into a power slide, and the speculation was that he threw it directly from forward into reverse, which made the "bow down" action wayyyy worse.

If that's the case, sounds like the roller was bad luck, and the reverse action was driver error. Either way, it's gotta be one in a bazillion odds that this would happen to the average boater.

uawaterskier
04-21-2008, 02:14 PM
II would love to know if the engine kept going, .

you can tell the engine isn't running. Look at what the driver does with the throttle afterwards. It doesn't look like it is going anywhere anytime soon.

Chas
04-21-2008, 07:10 PM
I saw that - but I guessed that he might be revving the engine in neutral. No sign of movement - other than the boat is moving backwards which could be accounted for by the fact that the nose went deep and then came back to the surface.

Anyone know who or where this took place? There is very little info on the vid itself.

88 PS190
04-21-2008, 07:19 PM
I believe the agreed on process is that as the boat let go on the surface of the water it hit a few rogue rollers and the driver cut back on the throttle, coming back out of drive into reverse and killing the engine while suddenly driving the bow under the water.

When it resurfaces you can tell the driver is fiddling with the throttle out of embarrasment so as to have somehting to do with his hands... Remember he just sunk that boat in front of alot of people.

coz
04-21-2008, 07:33 PM
I believe the agreed on process is that as the boat let go on the surface of the water it hit a few rogue rollers and the driver cut back on the throttle, coming back out of drive into reverse and killing the engine while suddenly driving the bow under the water.

When it resurfaces you can tell the driver is fiddling with the throttle out of embarrasment so as to have somehting to do with his hands... Remember he just sunk that boat in front of alot of people.

It's real easy on a jetski, hard turn with a little hop with weight foward and you'll bury the nose. Kind fun on a jetski but not in my boat please. I have a story of a 19ft Hallet floating bow up down the colorado river and all my friends, seat cushions, coolers and everything was floating right next to it hoping it wouldn't go to Jones's locker. But that's for another thread. :D

Chas
04-21-2008, 08:15 PM
Here's another YouTube vid that has nothing to do with MC, but it is a scary thing for any boat owner to watch....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDhwlomKUyM&feature=related

Plymouth Family Guy
04-22-2008, 09:39 PM
Anyone know who or where this took place? There is very little info on the vid itself.

This took place on a lake in Minneapolis, Minnesota last summer during a show by a local water ski team. I was not at this show, but have attended many of their shows at the same lake. The show was being filmed by a local TV station which is why the entire incident is caught on film and in such high quality. If I remember correctly, the problem was that the driver hit a roller right as he was about to do the power turn. Others up in here in Minneapolis might have more information.

Lennyp04
04-22-2008, 09:48 PM
Here's another YouTube vid that has nothing to do with MC, but it is a scary thing for any boat owner to watch....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDhwlomKUyM&feature=related

I like how the guy in the bow of that boat reacts by flayling his legs around as the hit that big roller as they head toward it!

Gonzo
04-22-2008, 10:05 PM
What I heard though was that it was just bad coinidence---the guy hit a roller right as he was going into a power slide, and the speculation was that he threw it directly from forward into reverse, which made the "bow down" action wayyyy worse.

If that's the case, sounds like the roller was bad luck, and the reverse action was driver error. Either way, it's gotta be one in a bazillion odds that this would happen to the average boater.

I agree.... the woman tells it all, look at her hands. She is bracing for a power slide. Plus any dry woman that knows the drivers about dip the front in will duck she didnt duck down at all as if expecting water over the shield.

just my 2cents.

EricB
04-22-2008, 10:09 PM
I don't believe the video of the boat being submarined was a "spin gone bad".
First, the drivers hands were not in the apropriate position for a turn. Second, the observer was wearing a vest. And third, the boat was going backwards at the time of the dunking.
If the throttle is thrown hard enough into reverse at that speed, the engine will not stall but rev and go into reverse. This will cause the back of the boat to lift. Momentum will continue to move boat forward yet cause the nose to dive. Continuing in reverse after the dive will cause the water to drain out the front and drain rapidly (but obviously not completely).
Boat is a show team boat (hook on pylon) and is registered in Minnesota (MN 9658 JW) with the local Minnesota Dealer's large decals on the side.
I hope whomever bought it has an extended warranty.

EricB
04-22-2008, 10:09 PM
First, the drivers hands were not in the apropriate position for a turn. Second, the observer was wearing a vest. And third, the boat was going backwards at the time of the dunking.
If the throttle is thrown hard enough into reverse at that speed, the engine will not stall but rev and go into reverse. This will cause the back of the boat to lift. Momentum will continue to move boat forward yet cause the nose to dive. Continuing in reverse after the dive will cause the water to drain out the front and drain rapidly (but obviously not completely).
Boat is a show team boat (hook on pylon) and is registered in Minnesota (MN 9658 JW) with the local Minnesota Dealer's large decals on the side.

coz
04-22-2008, 10:18 PM

Me and my wife just sat here and kept playing in back and start/stop and now it looks to me like the guy thru it in reverse :confused: the guy is doing something funky before it happens, I dunno :confused:

EricB
04-22-2008, 10:23 PM
Drivers hand may of slipped off the steering wheel....

uawaterskier
04-22-2008, 10:29 PM
I don't think anyone in their right mind would try to do that to a boat on purpose...I still think it was going to be a powerturn that happend to have a few rollers get in on the action

Gonzo
04-23-2008, 12:36 AM
I don't think anyone in their right mind would try to do that to a boat on purpose...

This sounds more like a challenge then an insult... lol. 8p ;)