PDA

View Full Version : 1992 PS190 Stereo Install

prostar190jap
04-21-2008, 04:12 AM
I have a set of two tower speakers and two ten in subs. I have one amp to power the subs and the another amp to power the tower speakers. I trouble i am having is were to mount the subs and the two amps. My ps is closed bow. I also want to install another battery with a switch so that i can just run one battery for the stereo and one for the engine. If anyone has any suggestions or pictures that would be great.

BriEOD
04-21-2008, 05:40 AM
I'm sure there are some folks on here far more knowledgable than I am regarding this topic. However, in my old boat I did a big stereo/battery upgrade. Here are my thoughts:

1. I would put the subs in a box up in the bow. Additionally, I would construct some form of amp rack that you could affix to the side of the box, or use the box to support holding the racks vertical in lieu of having them down on the carpet (propensity to get wet). Alternatively, you could mount the amps/wires right under the observer seat. However, consider that this is a popular, and very easily accesible, area to store gear, towels, etc. I would go with the former rather than the latter.

2. Adding a second battery is a good idea. You can find battery boxes, mounting kits in any boat store/catalog. When I did mine I put a Perko (isloator switch) in with the second battery. However, if I had it to do over again I would have put in a relay. This would keep the batteries isolated when the engine wasn't running, but in parallel when the engine is running which allows the alternator to recharge both batteries simultaneously. Do a search on the site for Diesel and he has an extensive tutorial of how to install a relay, and specifically which one to purchase from your local auto parts store.

Good Luck