PDA

View Full Version : Wakeboarding behind a Stars and Stripes Prostar 190

CODY_YARBER07
04-20-2008, 11:36 PM
Hello. I have a 1983 Mastercraft Stars and Stripes. I used to only slalom but now I have taken a liking to wakeboarding. The wake that this boat produces is made for slalom and I understand that but I was wondering if anyone could help me make this wake a little bigger and more wakeboard friendly. I included a pic of the boat and a pic of my cousin wakeboarding. I got a new board and that helps but we would like a little more height.

http://a431.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/00783/03/45/783445430_l.jpg

http://a400.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/01460/99/38/1460458399_l.jpg This is as high as we can get

H20skeefreek
04-21-2008, 12:18 AM
If you want a great wakeboarding wake from that vintage boat....sell it and by a Nautique slalom boat......lol!

cbryan70
04-21-2008, 12:20 AM
The wake is fine. it is not huge but great to learn on. A couple of my friends have proven the point by throwing 540's front flips back flips scarecrows whirrlys you name it.

H20skeefreek
04-21-2008, 12:25 AM
The wake is fine. it is not huge but great to learn on. A couple of my friends have proven the point by throwing 540's front flips back flips scarecrows whirrlys you name it.
Yeah, I know it's actually fine. We occasionally take my boat on public water and wakeboard. It's just not a GREAT wakeboarding wake, it was made to throw no wake.

D3skier
04-21-2008, 12:27 AM
I'd start with a couple fat sacs and adjust from there... possibly add a tower for more height.

shredit21
04-21-2008, 12:27 AM
A few ways to get a bigger wake would be throwing some sacs in there. Since its DD and the weight distribution is pretty even right now( im guessing) push it towards the rear, although don't forget about putting some up front where you can. Buying a pylon extension is a good idea too, or a tower if your pretty ambitious. It's pretty much touch and go, figure out where the weight produces the best wake at your chosen speed, and how far back you wanna ride. I've got a 92 Prostar, and it just took time to fine tune the weight distribution on it, and we use about 70 feet of line, at about 20-22. Any further the wakes washy, any more weight and the boat takes a while to get on plane, and any faster the wakes too small. So basically just experiment, or throw down 100k for an X-Star. I wish I could! Hope this helped man.

Chas
04-21-2008, 12:36 AM
I got all kinds of grief over the thought of putting a tower on my S&S. And I have to confess that your boat looks a whole lot better than mine...

I found a Skylon pylon extension with some nice board racks, carrying case and all the cables and hardware for very little money on Craiglist. I think I paid $200, might have been 3. I have yet to try it out, but I have seen many of them out on the lakes and rivers over the years.

H20skeefreek
04-21-2008, 01:12 AM
I got all kinds of grief over the thought of putting a tower on my S&S. And I have to confess that your boat looks a whole lot better than mine...

I found a Skylon pylon extension with some nice board racks, carrying case and all the cables and hardware for very little money on Craiglist. I think I paid $200, might have been 3. I have yet to try it out, but I have seen many of them out on the lakes and rivers over the years.
I would def. not add a tower to that great looking boat. Get an extended pylon, they work great!

fintek9
04-21-2008, 01:24 AM
I agree with H2O, Older boats like yours are classics. no tower needed! the pole can be put up and down in no time and doesn't take the ambiance away from the classic look. Most to all towers just don't look good on those. Sacs a must for more wake.

SunCoast 83
04-21-2008, 03:05 AM
NO TOWERS!!!!

I run with a Fly High pylon and a Fat Sac, its not gi-normous, but it gets the job done. Use some type of sleve or old gym sock to protect the black paint on the original towbar. Great looking boat by the way....

tph
04-21-2008, 03:35 AM
We have the same boat. Our kids are always looking for more "pop".

Three things seem to help:

1) Extended pylon increases "hang time"
2) More friends in the boat for ballast
3) Experiment with the line length to find a sweet spot in the wake

flat broke
04-21-2008, 05:38 PM
I have a 89 PS and run a skylon pole and have run 500 in the back and side sacs at 540 it took too long to get going only with 2 people in the boat. I am going to try now the 2 side sacs and then adding weight in the front because it only wanted to plane out at higher speeds faster than needed to board. it will take a while to fine tune and see what works. but I have found I just need a different boat! waiting to pay off the D-MAX so I can get a X2 :)

wakeX2wake
04-21-2008, 06:04 PM
skylon extension... DO NOT PUT A TOWER ON YOUR S&S... few fat sacs (about 1200 pounds should get it right)... then learn to hit the wake harder and faster and w/ more control... you'll learn to go higher and carry into the flats... wakeboarding good isn't about the wake it's about the rider... it helps to have a larger wake to learn trick but it doesn't matter after you learn them... i've seen a whirly thrown behind a '93 PS 205 w/ 3 people in it on a 70ft line w/o perfect pass

Jerseydave
04-21-2008, 07:00 PM
Another vote for NO TOWER, go with a skylon pole.

Try 2 side sacs first, go from there.

coz
04-21-2008, 08:22 PM
Like everyone said, go with the pylon first and you're guaranteed to see an improvement in just that, it also lets more people in the boat which is alot cheaper than sacs because everybody loves a boat ride or pull. So you may not need the sacs afterall :D

justflyem
04-23-2008, 04:23 PM
I have the fly high fat seat in the back which is about 1200 pounds and then i bought a couple small fat sacks 280 each. Usually have one in the bow or if I have enough people I just leave the regular boat seat in and fill the small fat sacks. This boat will throw a decent wake, just needs weight. Mine is an 85 S&S and all I do is wakeboard. but as someone said before, if you are pretty good, it is possible to do some small tricks like tantrums or 360 with the boat empty. I also got the skylon pylon, with the bimini made for it to fit through it with board racks.

hydro-therapy
04-23-2008, 06:55 PM
Just add a Skylon, 1200 lb fat sac rear seat, and 32' off, 2000 rpms and hang on! PS: DON'T STOP REAL FAST :D :D :D

dbdaddy
04-23-2008, 08:12 PM
I have a 93 prostar 190. when i took up wakeboarding, i got two fat sacs, one on either side of the motor, and a skylon. thats all it took. the skylon actually looks real good, and does its job well. the wake is huge at wakeboarding speeds. my sacs are 550 lbs apiece.....nice boat by the way.