PDA

View Full Version : Water Exiting Through Drive Shaft??

SchuyHigh
04-20-2008, 08:48 PM
Just ran new boat in drive for first time. Noticed that a great deal of water was pouring out where drive shaft enters hull. I have owned 3 direct drive boats and never noticed this before. I have some ideas, but open to an tech's feedback.

Roonie's
04-20-2008, 08:58 PM
it's normal. It helps cool the drive shaft.

SchuyHigh
04-20-2008, 09:02 PM
it's normal. It helps cool the drive shaft.

I had a '91 Prostar190 & a '97 Supra, neither did it? Was there a "change" somewhere along the line, or was something wrong with those 2 boats. If there was an improvement, was it in the packing?

TMCNo1
04-20-2008, 09:07 PM
It is part of the function of the dripless shaft seal and cools the unit and the cooling water exits around the shaft. Your previous shaft log did not have a tube running to it either, did it?
It should like like or simular to this and you can see the tube carrying water to the unit,

Roonie's
04-20-2008, 09:09 PM
I think it is something like 10-15 drips a minute from your shaft when in gear. If you are getting more then you can tighten the bolt more. Having more dripping doesn't hurt anything that I know of. Look in your owners manual as it should have some info on it as well as recommended drips per minute.

TMCNo1
04-20-2008, 09:12 PM
I think it is something like 10-15 drips a minute from your shaft when in gear. If you are getting more then you can tighten the bolt more. Having more dripping doesn't hurt anything that I know of. Look in your owners manual as it should have some info on it as well as recommended drips per minute.

I think he is refering to the dripless shaft seal on a '06.

ski_king
04-20-2008, 09:14 PM
edit. nevermind......

Roonie's
04-20-2008, 09:15 PM
I think he is refering to the dripless shaft seal on a '06.

Ahh yes disregard previous comment.

It helps cool it as already stated. If there is water dripping in the hull then get it fixed but water coming out of the shaft is good and means it is working correctly.

SchuyHigh
04-20-2008, 09:18 PM
I did not know until now that this boat had a dripless seal. When I priced a CorrectCraft 206 against this boat, the dripless package was a healthy $$ upgrade.
Thanks for the help!
I almost forgot......dang that boat sounded good. And to think the wife almost talked me into a larger cruiser that would dound like her VW.

TMCNo1
04-20-2008, 09:24 PM
I did not know until now that this boat had a dripless seal. When I priced a CorrectCraft 206 against this boat, the dripless package was a healthy $$ upgrade.
Thanks for the help!
I almost forgot......dang that boat sounded good. And to think the wife almost talked me into a larger cruiser that would dound like her VW.

You made the better choice and it is std. equipment on MC's now!:cool: :toast: