PDA

View Full Version : PP Stargazer Problems HELP

jwroblew
04-20-2008, 07:20 PM
OK so I waited forever to get the new PP upgrade, due to the software upgrade they did not want to ship units, and then have to update them, understandable. Installed it easy because it was just an upgrade plug in the wires mount the GPS and they way I go, or so I thought. While calibrating the speeds, one pass the entrance gate mag. did not trip, I throttle down got ready to go again, look at the display, it was frozen at 28mph, which was strange since I was calibrating 36. Turned the boat off and all that happens is the LCD back light comes on but nothing else. Turned boat on and off several more times nothing. Any ideas it is a module for a servo motor and I did have the extra thing pluged into the servo cable. I would have put the old module in but I have already sold it. :(

BrianM
04-20-2008, 08:22 PM
Hmmm. Sounds like PP is having lots of issues with the updated modules. I got nothing for you. Call Gary at PP tomorrow morning and ask him for help.

EastTX and I are both on our second updated modules which have both had memory saving issues. Fortunately my un updated Stargazer mostly works fine. I currently have 3 Gazer modules in my possession all of which are not working correctly.

jwroblew
04-20-2008, 08:58 PM
Thanks Brian, I'll call Gary tomorrow.

I found this on the PP website which sounds like my problem
Condition:
PerfectPass green light in display is on, but no data on screen.

Solution:
Check to see if servo motor is powered, if not then the system does not
have adequate voltage or is poorly grounded and will not start. (Measure
voltage on PerfectPass power cable, which should be in excess of 12v).
Note: When key is off, the black knob on servo turns very easily. When
powered, knob is stiff and is difficult to turn.
If servo is powered and performs auto tighten rotation but Display has no
data, then Display should be changed.

Since my system did not perform auto tighten, I'll check voltage and see what it is...

east tx skier
04-20-2008, 09:26 PM
I've got two in my possession and one on the way. I say to myself, this time, it'll be perfect. Thank goodness for good customer service!

alletric
04-20-2008, 09:47 PM
I've got two in my possession and one on the way. I say to myself, this time, it'll be perfect. Thank goodness for good customer service!

Looking back, would you suggest the "upgrade" at this point in time?

east tx skier
04-20-2008, 10:44 PM
I like the system overall even before the update. The problem I'm having is not with the operation, but with how the system saves information. I think SG makes life a good deal easier from the driver's standpoint. As for the pull, I haven't had it in the course yet. On open water, if felt pretty much like I remember 6.5 ng being. My skiing feels really good this year, so it's not hurting it any that I can tell.

Farmer Ted
04-20-2008, 10:54 PM
what's up with all the GPS problems?

I was looking at Schitzers website earlier today and he's boycotting Zero Off blah blah blah

now everbody's got three master modules?

what ever happened to the tach, stopwatch, and calibrated elbow?

east tx skier
04-20-2008, 11:07 PM
Everyone or three people. Anyway, I'd complain, but I haven't even had a chance to hit the water, so I'm not out any time. Perfect Pass has been great to work with if I have to work on a problem with someone. So I really don't have much to complain about.

hokiecharlie
04-21-2008, 03:30 PM
Would these same problenms apply to an entirely new system or does it seem to be an upgrade problem?

jkski
04-21-2008, 03:35 PM
I got a chance to ski behind SG this past week and it was a great experience. The system provides a nice steady/constant pull through the course.

east tx skier
04-21-2008, 05:33 PM
Would these same problenms apply to an entirely new system or does it seem to be an upgrade problem?

We haven't determined the root of my problem yet. My first SG module worked great. As far as I know, the system save issue is only happening to three people in the country.

jwroblew
04-21-2008, 09:10 PM
I tell you what, when my system went dead after not even getting through the cal I was pretty pissed. Talked to PP today and they were pretty cool about the whole thing, they apologized and are over nighting a new master module, I should be up and running tomorrow. They really stand behind their product and great customer service.

I obviously did not get to ski behind it but it seemed to pull up to speed a lot smoother than the old system. I should know more tomorrow.

BuoyChaser
07-03-2008, 04:30 PM
I got a chance to ski behind SG this past week and it was a great experience. The system provides a nice steady/constant pull through the course.
I've now skied in tourneys behind a '08 Nautique with Zero Off and an '08 MC 197 with Star Gazer, and I had my best pull on the MC. It seemed to be very nice and soft going into the gates, compared to Zero Off feeling much hotter. Unfortunately I only skied one round on the SG and 4 rounds on the Nautique so it will be interesting to soon tell.

Fortunately I have both boat options to train/prepare for tourneys. Certainly need it to increase my confidence level at various sites.

I love 6.5NG but whenever you have in-experienced drivers pulling you with different boat gas, varied crew weight, head winds, tail winds, side winds there are still lots of variables in a sport where you're trying to eliminate as many variables as you can. Even with All Buoy timing and a surveyed course (within 12") the settings have to be tweaked as water temperature changes. Just nice to not have to worry about any of this, especially when I'm not in the boat or if I don't drive first. Nice to SKI FIRST and know that the pull is dead on!!! ;)

YEAHH FOR GPS!!!

east tx skier
07-03-2008, 04:52 PM
They really stand behind their product and great customer service.

They are second to none in that regard. I must have gone through 5 master modules before they finally changed how the system saves information to work around the system save problems I was having. As far as I know, that has since become the standard.

One thing I noticed is that in GPS slalom, the boat will accelerate in a tight turn. I emailed Gary about this because I suspected that the system tracks the position in a straight line, but gets confused when, all of a sudden, the boat isn't further down the straight line, assumes the boat has slowed down, and hammers the gas.

For once, my hair brained theory was correct. Gary said that you need to disengage SG by brining the throttle back past the set point when you initiate a turn. I typically do this anyway, but on our course lake, we have a very wide open area to turn at one end and have been making wider turns rather than slowing down past the set point.

Sodar
07-03-2008, 04:56 PM
I have the first version of SG. Should I upgrade now or wait longer? Are they still working on getting it right, Doug?

east tx skier
07-03-2008, 05:11 PM
Other than having a version for those without paddle wheels that doesn't require one, no, they are still on 7.0.5. Tell them you have a paddle wheel when you send it in as they initially claimed it was more accurate when I asked them about it.

I haven't messed with any of the update features most of which deal with fine tuning segment times and settings for "light" skiers. But as far as operation, ever since I got the system save problem solved, it runs like a top and has pulled times within tolerance every time I've taken it through the course with a skier no matter the speed.

Sodar
07-03-2008, 05:15 PM
I will call and see what the deal is. So the 7.0.5 is the orginal version and has not been updated?

I wonder if they have a system that has SG Slalom and SG Wakeboard. I have only used the SG twice since I got it and have not yet had it in the course.

east tx skier
07-03-2008, 05:23 PM
7.0.5 is the only update of which I'm aware. Original version I had was 7.0.4. My version of SG has wakeboard mode that takes input from both paddle wheel and GPS IIRC.

Sodar
07-03-2008, 05:24 PM
Hmmmmmm....

Sounds like a need to get my butt into my boat and learn about this thing.