PDA

View Full Version : Water heater install question

mitch
04-20-2008, 11:14 AM
Hey Guys! have a question on wiring a water heater for my camp. It's 240V. Old one had just a red and black. I had the red from the heater connected to house black and the black from the heater connected to house white, and grounded to metal. New one is 3 wire yellow blue and black. Would I connect the yellow to house white and the blue *and* black to house black? Thanks for any help!!!!!

lav
04-20-2008, 11:58 AM
can you post some pics of new water heater wiring? should only have two wires for single phase dont know what the yellow would be for unless it is three phase (yellow still doesn't fit BLK RD BLU is generally low voltage and BR OR YEL is high) . Do all the leads coming out of new HWH go to heating element or does one go to metal casing(aka ground), is there a timer or some other form of control in the circut ?

mitch
04-20-2008, 12:03 PM
I'm on dial up at the camp, so I can't post a pic. Just saw a notation on the heater that said, if using a 2 wire connection, connect black and blue to one line and yellow to the other line- It did not specify which line, but I thinking I'll go w/ my gut ;) Thanks for your reply!!

JohnnyB
04-20-2008, 12:07 PM
Your 240V house wiring should have a red, black, white and ground. The red and black should be your two hot wires (each is 120V to neutral and 240V between the two), they come off of the two phases coming into your panel and should come off of a 2-pole breaker, one off of each phase(prefferred) or two individual breakers, one off of each phase (not preferred, may check to see what your local code says about this). The white should be your neutral and ground will either be bare conductor or green.

Not knowing the specifics, I have some concerns:

1) It sounds like your old heater was not 240V. Evaluate how the power was connected at the breaker panel.
2) As far as color codes, what I mentioned above is the typical standard for 240V for the household side. Consult the instructions on your new water heater to determine the color connections based on where the power is coming from.
3) Be cautious of the current conductor size and breaker size. If the heater is old or if it was not 240V, they most likely are not adequate.

JohnnyB
04-20-2008, 12:09 PM
What is the brand/model of the heater. We might be able to pull up the manual on-line and help more....right now its hard to advise.

lav
04-20-2008, 12:09 PM
no problem it doesnt matter which wire(black and white) you hook up they both carry the same voltage. Bare wire goes under green ground screw,hope this helps. Good luck Greg

JohnnyB
04-20-2008, 12:54 PM
no problem it doesnt matter which wire(black and white) you hook up they both carry the same voltage. Bare wire goes under green ground screw,hope this helps. Good luck Greg

Be cautious here....read the manual and understand what each wire color is for.

lav
04-20-2008, 01:32 PM
johnny typically in residental they only run a 10/2 wire because there in noneed for a neutral (white wire) in a 240v circut and that is why mitch only has a blk and white NEC states that white needs to be phased properly but no one does it in residential . he is just replacing a HWH so the two wires he has is the correct voltage and they go to the same double pole 30a breaker in the electric panel.

mitch
04-20-2008, 04:09 PM
I have hot water *and* no leaks from soldering - woohoo!!!!! Also had ice out on the lake today and the boats were out right away..... Thanks again guys!