PDA

View Full Version : 197 Mini-Tower questions

JerryS
04-19-2008, 11:14 PM
Just brought home my 07' TT 197. This one has the zero flex flyer mini-tower. Although I'm pretty much a slalom skier and don't own a board....I'm really loving the utility of the mini-tower. Being able to tow the kids and recreational skiers from the tower really frees up seating. Usually that is the only time a 'crowd' is in the boat as well. The 2 slalom racks combine with the rear locker to get everything off the floor.
I'm not a fan of the full towers aesthetically, and the 2008 mini-tower is slowly growing on me. I've always thought the zero flex flyer mini's lines flow very well with the boat.

Anyways, my questions....

The top of the fwd tower bar has button head allen bolts in it. They go all the way across the tube. They don't seem to have any function related to the bimini. I'm wondering....what are they for?

The braces that run between the forward and rear tube - across the top - have slots in the bottom. What are these for?

Does MC make a special mini-tower speaker/light can? Are there any aftermarket ones available to fit the JL's. I see the cans on ebay now and then - but I'm not sure they will mount on the zero flex mini-tower.

Is the tower anodized? I'm just looking for a way to clean the tower and shine it up - what does everyone use?

Thanks!

Ric
04-19-2008, 11:18 PM
dont know what the screw holes and slots are really for, probably light bars or speakers... soap and water cleans up the tower nice and I've been told it's anodized, but I don't know how they do it after fab & weld.

vogelm1
04-20-2008, 09:18 AM
Someone on here suggested WD-40 for cleaning the tower - it does work very well, and shines it up great. Sprayed some on a rag and wiped down all the parts.

It will leave a noticeable "film" (not that greasy or anything) but it comes off with a dry towel.

JohnE
04-20-2008, 09:24 AM
It was Monte who suggested the WD40. I have a buddy who also uses WD40 on his fishing tower on his Carolina Classic, and it works well. I will be trying it on my tower soon.

The new mini tower is much improved over the older version. Mostly because when you stand up from the observer or driver seats, you don't hit your head on the tower any more. They have "pushed" the tower back further. Mitch hit his head so hard on my mini tower last year that I thought he dented it.:D

Sodar
04-20-2008, 11:10 AM
Just brought home my 07' TT 197. This one has the zero flex flyer mini-tower. Although I'm pretty much a slalom skier and don't own a board....I'm really loving the utility of the mini-tower. Being able to tow the kids and recreational skiers from the tower really frees up seating. Usually that is the only time a 'crowd' is in the boat as well. The 2 slalom racks combine with the rear locker to get everything off the floor.
I'm not a fan of the full towers aesthetically, and the 2008 mini-tower is slowly growing on me. I've always thought the zero flex flyer mini's lines flow very well with the boat.

Anyways, my questions....

The top of the fwd tower bar has button head allen bolts in it. They go all the way across the tube. They don't seem to have any function related to the bimini. I'm wondering....what are they for?

The braces that run between the forward and rear tube - across the top - have slots in the bottom. What are these for?

Does MC make a special mini-tower speaker/light can? Are there any aftermarket ones available to fit the JL's. I see the cans on ebay now and then - but I'm not sure they will mount on the zero flex mini-tower.

Is the tower anodized? I'm just looking for a way to clean the tower and shine it up - what does everyone use?

Thanks!

The mini-towers do flow with the lines of the 197, much better than a full size and really does add a lot of function to the boat.

I too have the button heads on my tower. I was told that they are indeed for the tower speakers and lights. I guess you can find any '04 or older tower cans and they will work on the tower, but with those speakers, it will bring the tower height down to about 4'! :)

The tower is anodized. I have found that a good cleaner wax, like Sea Power works well at cleaning the bugs and grime off, followed by a coat of carnuba. For really tough bugs/grime I use a magic eraser and they come right off. I have used WD-40 on anodized fishing towers in a salt environment, to help prevent pitting, but I do not think it is necessary in freshwater and I do not like the grimey feel it leaves and the fingerprints you get, every time the tower gets touched. :twocents:

JerryS
04-20-2008, 09:34 PM
Thanks for the replies. I need to grab some more magic erasers. I'm trying to get rid of the bugs and some spots. Here's a pic of the spots.

http://members.aol.com/ctseaplane/Spots.jpg