PDA

View Full Version : tower light

cal2vin
04-19-2008, 08:09 PM
My new dimension tower came with a lighted ski tow but I have not yet wired the light into the system. Where could I go with the wire so that the light will come on when I switch on my nav lights? I have a 1996 Prostar 205

Farmer Ted
04-19-2008, 08:12 PM
My new dimension tower came with a lighted ski tow but I have not yet wired the light into the system. Where could I go with the wire so that the light will come on when I switch on my nav lights? I have a 1996 Prostar 205

look under the dash pod and find the wires that go to your NAV lights, figure out which ones are tied to the white light and splice into that

JohnnyB
04-19-2008, 09:17 PM
look under the dash pod and find the wires that go to your NAV lights, figure out which ones are tied to the white light and splice into that That's what I did with mine. The wire runs up the front starboard tower leg.

cal2vin
04-20-2008, 02:55 AM
yes I have found the wire coming from the light I am just trying to find a way to power it with the nav light system. The method described is what I had in mind so Ill give it a shot. Is there enough power in that line to power both lights??

Thanks

JohnnyB
04-20-2008, 08:55 AM
yes I have found the wire coming from the light I am just trying to find a way to power it with the nav light system. The method described is what I had in mind so Ill give it a shot. Is there enough power in that line to power both lights??

Thanks

I used a splice like this http://www.tessco.com/products/displayProductInfo.do?sku=27385&eventPage=1

The Nav system has several lights already and I have had no issues, personally, with adding the tower light, too.

The colors of the wire in 2004 for the NAV ckt were white w/black stripe (+) and black (-)...your color code is most likely different.

I realized when I had the kickpanel off yesterday to install my heater that there was an extra pair of nav light circuit wires hanging right near the front tower leg :mad: ...missed 'em when I installed the tower.

I made sure I tied it into the circuit that ran the Anchor lights so that it lights up with both the NAV lights and the ANC lights.

In finding the wire, you may want to stick a needle into what you believe is the (+) and measure it to ground with a volt-meter to make sure you have the correct wire.

moleson10
04-20-2008, 01:54 PM
I found that behind the driver floor kick panel there are wires for all kind of things and they are labeled. The dealer that installed the tower on my 197 apparently didn't know this and just spliced into the wires that ran to the stern anchor light. But I found a set of wires labeled for the tower light.

Your boat may be the same way.