PDA

View Full Version : check engine alarm

ttu
04-19-2008, 07:01 PM
okay, took the 07 x2 out today with the rtp engine. boat was running great and then i opened her up. above 4600 rmps the boat hesitated.
when i backed off some it ran fine.

son got in to wakeboard and the check engine alarm came on. Had dealer do the winterizing.. checked both the oil and trans fluid and they were full. However, the fluid in the tranny was a neon yellow green color. Called dealer and they said that was normal:confused:

Anyway tried the 3 start cool down to see if it would reset the codes and it did nothing. Oh and by the way all gauges read normal in re: to oil pressure, temp and voltage.

any ideas before i take the boat back to the dealer.

thanks guys!!!!

bigmac
04-19-2008, 07:26 PM
They told you that neon yellow-green transmission fluid was normal?

ttu
04-19-2008, 07:40 PM
mac, yes.

also they stated that the "engine alarm" was just for the engine. if it was a tranny issue, it would read that.

Confussing thing i have always checked the fluids everytime out and the tranny was always a oil color..

Sodar
04-19-2008, 07:49 PM
mac, yes.

also they stated that the "engine alarm" was just for the engine. if it was a tranny issue, it would read that.

Confussing thing i have always checked the fluids everytime out and the tranny was always a oil color..

Not true. According to the mechanic there are two things that the transmission can cause a check engine light....
Overheating and something else I do not remember. If you look on the trans casing, you will see a black and grey wire running into the sensor.

88 PS190
04-19-2008, 08:36 PM
They told you that neon yellow-green transmission fluid was normal?

I've seen neon yellow-green transfluid.

Normally in transmissions such as automatic late model Audi's which are the type with no fill tube, and you fill through a thing in the bottom while checking transmission temp, and you fill till it over flows at the correct temp...

Never seen it in a conventional transmission.

bigmac
04-19-2008, 08:46 PM
Specs call for the transmission fluid in that 1.5:1 V-drive to be 15W40. That's how it was shipped from Indmar. MAYBE the dealer has special information that Audi transmission fluid would be a better idea than what Indmar recommends, but I'd sure be suspicious.

Neon green...sounds like antifreeze to me. What's it taste like? Does your dealer winterize with antifreeze?

Sodar's right...transmission overtemp will trigger an alarm and a check engine light, but your multi-function display in the tach should display "TRANS". Even so, a check engine light, poor performance, and neon green-yellow fluid in the transmission...hmm.....

ttu
04-19-2008, 10:03 PM
mac, sorry didn't taste it:rolleyes:

guess let the dealer look at it.

thanks guys for the help so far.

ttu
04-20-2008, 11:09 AM
any other ideas????

ttu
04-21-2008, 09:44 AM
well taking boat back to dealer to have it checked out.:mad:

Roonie's
04-21-2008, 11:17 AM
I just checked my transmission oil on my 07 X2 and it is the color of new car oil (light amber/yellow). The neon yellow green trans oil sounds a little iffy to me?? Good luck.

bobx1
04-21-2008, 01:23 PM
Stick your battery on a charger over night. I had a check engine situation with warning buzzer and all gauges looked fine. It ended up being a low voltage issue. You may also want to disconnect the re-connect your battery. I have an 07 X1 with RTP.

bigmac
04-21-2008, 02:01 PM
Stick your battery on a charger over night. I had a check engine situation with warning buzzer and all gauges looked fine. It ended up being a low voltage issue. You may also want to disconnect the re-connect your battery. I have an 07 X1 with RTP.

I agree, that's a good idea. But I sure would still want to know about that neon green-yellow fluid in the tranny. That ain't right.

ttu
04-21-2008, 02:05 PM
leaving the office after the secretary get's back from lunch to go and get the boat up at the lake, then tow it to another lake (dealer). about 70 miles each way.

will let you know what i find out.

oh and thanks for the input..

ttu
04-21-2008, 08:37 PM
guys, got back from dealer w/o boat.

dealer mechanic (super nice guy) hooked up the laptop to the engine to download codes.

came back as a throttle by wire error. ( ?????)

also had him look at the trans/vdrive fluid and he thinks somehow water got in there.

only problem i have had with any water in the bilge was when the jhose broke last labor day.:cool:

they will let me know what they find.

ttu
04-28-2008, 09:49 AM
went and picked up the boat yesterday.

they said the alarm was something to do with the throttle by wire. they cleared all codes.

there was water in the tranny/vdrive. he said they flushed it 3 times and took the boat out for a hour and everything was fine.

i asked "how did water get in there" and he had no idea.

hopefully everything will be fine.

thanks everyone for your input.

bad thing was on saturday the weater was 80 degrees and very little wind. yesterday 60 and 20mph north winds:mad:

wakeX2wake
04-28-2008, 10:20 AM
i had the light coming on every time i ran it but everything looked good from a guages and sounds standpoint... i dumped a bottle of Lucas injector cleaner in the tank before this weekend... the check engine light had be coming on everytime i cranked the boat but after i poured the injector cleaner through it it came on the first time i cranked the boat and didn't come back on all weekend

ttu
05-05-2008, 10:52 AM
now my son thinks it has something to do with him.

he gets his board on, in the water and then the same thing again. engine alarm comes back on.

ran the boat probably a hour before the alarm went off and everything was fine.

checked all fluids and everything looked good and all temps were good.

now i am really getting pissed.

johny123
06-01-2008, 10:19 AM
has the problem been solved?

curious to hear what it was

ttu
06-01-2008, 02:12 PM
johny, turned out to be something with the tbw. service manager work on it by himself and replaced all the sensor's.

put approx 15 hrs on it since the repairs were done and everything has been fine.

JimN
06-01-2008, 03:45 PM
If you have closed cooling, the oil cooler may not have been drained and then the water froze, causing a leak in the cooler. Have them check that, under pressure. It can be checked in place. They would need to put a cap on each end, one with a Shrader valve for using compressed air to pressurize it. If the pressure drops off (tire gauge), it's leaking, somewhere.

bigmac
06-01-2008, 04:56 PM
If you have closed cooling, the oil cooler may not have been drained and then the water froze, causing a leak in the cooler. Have them check that, under pressure. It can be checked in place. They would need to put a cap on each end, one with a Shrader valve for using compressed air to pressurize it. If the pressure drops off (tire gauge), it's leaking, somewhere.
JimN makes a good point. Do you have closed cooling? Generally, AFAIK, there are only two main ways water gets into the transmission -- through the oil cooler or bilge water infiltrating the transmission seals. I'm sure there are other possibilities, but those two things would be my bet.

I can't get away from your description of neon yellow-green "oil" in the transmission. Still sounds like antifreeze to me, which would certainly be explained by a defective transmission cooler either in a closed-cooling system, or an open-cooling boat with defective tranny cooler that was winterized with antifreeze.

gwpowell
06-02-2008, 08:15 AM
johny, turned out to be something with the tbw. service manager work on it by himself and replaced all the sensor's.

put approx 15 hrs on it since the repairs were done and everything has been fine.

What is the "tbw". We have been having trouble with our alarm going off also. We have had it to the mechanics twice, they only seem to be able to guess at what it is. I was suspecting it was the sensors and not an actual motor problem. What sensors did your mechanic replace?

bigmac
06-02-2008, 08:35 AM
TBW is throttle by wire. Your engine throttle is controlled by a servo on the engine receiving info from your throttle handle rather than from a directly-attached cable. But, that's just one of many, many devices your engine computer monitors, any one of which might throw a trouble code and trigger the check-engine alarm. Rather than guessing, your dealer ought to be able to scan the computer and find out what that trouble code is, at least providing him with a place to start.

JimN
06-02-2008, 10:27 AM
"We have had it to the mechanics twice, they only seem to be able to guess at what it is. I was suspecting it was the sensors and not an actual motor problem"

By any chance, does anyone remember me saying that if a dealer searches and searches for problems and just starts replacing parts by the barrel, that they might need to go to service training?

It's not rocket science but if the guy working on it doesn't know how to find electrical problems, he's not going to be effective in servicing the new engines and control systems. I'm not going to dump on the dealer but he needs to suck it up and go to training, because whatever he would pay for a tech (or himself) to go for training, he would have made up on this tbw job. MC doesn't pay for dealers to use the "shotgun method" for servicing boats and I would bet that he'll be getting a phone call about the warranty reimbursement form that shows him replacing all of the sensors and spending 15 hours on something that probably shows 3 hours to diagnose and repair.