PDA

View Full Version : Local sound system installer says it can't be done

bobbyB
04-18-2008, 03:14 PM
I made bet with my son....now it's starting to look like I'll be putting tower speakers on the boat in the near future....ahh shucks:D

I've read alot of the threads on site about system installs. Thank you to all who have taken the time to post on these, as it is a wealth of info.

Here's the issue: I want to be able to control the sound level seperately between the tower speakers and the cabin speakers. Local installer didn't know how to do this???? This must have been done before! He did throw out this idea of using a fader switch simular to what is used to control a "in house sound" system. Does this kind of switch work for this? Anything better? :confused:

bullit4888
04-18-2008, 03:27 PM
The simplest way to do this would be to just use the fader on stock stereo and wire the front output to the amp that's running the boat speakers and wire the rear output to the tower amp.

An even better solution would be to install a wetsounds WS-420. It gives you ultimate control between the boat and tower speakers

wakeX2wake
04-18-2008, 03:31 PM
The simplest way to do this would be to just use the fader on stock stereo and wire the front output to the amp that's running the boat speakers and wire the rear output to the tower amp.

An even better solution would be to install a wetsounds WS-420. It gives you ultimate control between the boat and tower speakers

exactly... anyone been able to hook up a wetsound equalizer w/ one amp?

fintek9
04-18-2008, 03:40 PM
Yep, I put an EQualizer into my system and use it's fader to control output to the tower amp/ speakers.

bobbyB
04-18-2008, 04:43 PM
An even better solution would be to install a wetsounds WS-420. It gives you ultimate control between the boat and tower speakers[/QUOTE]

That's an interesting product...thanks for the heads-up:cool:

SouthWaker
04-18-2008, 04:57 PM
Buy an amp with a an external power control. There is probably a better name for these but look around and you will see what I am talking about. Alot of Kicker and RF amps have them.

bobbyB
04-18-2008, 05:05 PM
exactly... anyone been able to hook up a wetsound equalizer w/ one amp?

The boys at the local shop say you can come off the head unit, thru something like the WS-420 unit, back to the 4 channel amp. From there 2 channels would run the cabin speaker and the other 2 would go to the tower....seem to make sense?? This senario leaves out any sub.

fintek9
04-18-2008, 05:13 PM
ahhhhh, subs should have their own amp anyways.

bobbyB
04-18-2008, 05:19 PM
ahhhhh, subs should have their own amp anyways.

Agreed...the sub will run off of it's own amp. My question is: can you run the cabin and tower speakers off of one 4 channel amp?

corey
04-18-2008, 05:24 PM
This is a pretty basic install, find a new sound guy.

123src
04-18-2008, 06:15 PM
Where are you in the NW? Portland Metro Area? I can help you with a very competent installer.

TX.X-30 fan
04-20-2008, 02:16 PM
Agreed...the sub will run off of it's own amp. My question is: can you run the cabin and tower speakers off of one 4 channel amp?

Not loudly. ;)

bobbyB
04-21-2008, 12:28 AM
Where are you in the NW? Portland Metro Area? I can help you with a very competent installer.

I'm about an hr north of Seattle