PDA

View Full Version : Black Interiors in Convertibles?

shepherd
04-18-2008, 01:48 PM
Why do they do that? Does this only sound like a dumb idea down here in Florida?

Willski
04-18-2008, 02:57 PM
Seems like a bad idea anywhere to me.

wakeX2wake
04-18-2008, 02:59 PM
i love it... means you can't take girls w/ big butts for a ride in the car b/c they've got too much butt and legs to fry on the seats

Upper Michigan Prostar190
04-18-2008, 03:11 PM
Wow. if this thread isnt a thought provoking thread. I think I will head over to the teak oil and impeller threads for a while.

BrianM
04-18-2008, 03:22 PM
I don't have a convertible but I do have two black vehicles with black leather interior and sunroofs. My wifes cars has a very large sunroof that goes over the front and back seats. I love the black interiors. Shows less dirt and wear and cools down just as fast as any other color interior. I don't care what color the interior is if it has been sitting in the sun it is going to be HOT.

6ballsisall
04-18-2008, 03:24 PM
My Audi had black interior. No big deal, especially after I tinted the windows a bit.

BrianM
04-18-2008, 03:25 PM
tinted the windows a bit.

Yeah the tint definitely helps. My wifes car is done 20% on all windows. My Avy is 5% on the fronts and 5% over the top of the factory 20% in the rears.

LKNMC
04-18-2008, 04:03 PM
it may get hot but it looks so good

east tx skier
04-18-2008, 04:04 PM
I've owned a convertible and one was enough. My current Honda is the first car I've had with cloth seats and I've gotta say that I have no regrets in that regard, especially in the summertime.

04-18-2008, 04:04 PM
wanna know why shep? because it looks cool. not temperature cool, but Fonzy cool. thats why.

BrianM
04-18-2008, 04:36 PM
first car I've had with cloth seats and I've gotta say that I have no regrets in that regard, especially in the summertime.

I take it you haven't fumbled a drink or had a kid or dog puke on the cloth seats yet. Leather is just so much easier to clean up. I have had cloth on all cars until the two I have now and now that I have had the leather I won't be going back to the cloth.

Covi
04-18-2008, 05:43 PM
I had a black on black leather volkswagon cabriolet. never minded the black leather. In fact it does cool down very fast.

shepherd
04-18-2008, 06:02 PM
wanna know why shep? because it looks cool. not temperature cool, but Fonzy cool. thats why.

But not Bandit cool.

I wasn't expecting an educated answer from you UMP, because I know the sun rarely shines up there in your part of Canada. :cool:

coz
04-18-2008, 06:06 PM
Why do they do that? Does this only sound like a dumb idea down here in Florida?

NO! try black in 116 degree Arizona heat :eek3: I have black stripes on mine and oooooooo! they get hot :eek: your not alone :D

04-18-2008, 06:19 PM
But not Bandit cool.

I wasn't expecting an educated answer from you UMP, because I know the sun rarely shines up there in your part of Canada. :cool:

I dare you to step over to the darkside and say that! 8p

I have black interior in my convertable. it gets hot in the summer, but its not bad. but it sure looks cool as can be on the car.

shepherd
04-18-2008, 06:29 PM
I dare you to step over to the darkside and say that! 8p

I have black interior in my convertable. it gets hot in the summer, but its not bad. but it sure looks cool as can be on the car.

It's been a long time, but you may see me over there tonight. I can take an on-line ***-whupping as well as the next guy! :D

What are you driving UMP? I love convertibles. I haven't had one in over 15 years (1970 Mustang). Driving one with the top down is like riding around town in your boat. :steering:

shepherd
04-18-2008, 06:35 PM
I want a convertible tow vehicle. Someone needs to come out with a full size truck or SUV with a convertible top.

BrianM
04-18-2008, 07:02 PM
NO! try black in 116 degree Arizona heat :eek3: I have black stripes on mine and oooooooo! they get hot :eek: your not alone :D

I lived in Tucson and had a '73 Porsche 914 with NO A/C and black vinyl interior. It got a little warm. :rolleyes:

6ballsisall
04-18-2008, 07:54 PM
I take it you haven't fumbled a drink or had a kid or dog puke on the cloth seats yet. Leather is just so much easier to clean up. I have had cloth on all cars until the two I have now and now that I have had the leather I won't be going back to the cloth.

TRU DAT! I"ve had leather in all our cars for years, even before having kids. It cleans better and I think more comfortable. No cloth interiors for me.

JKTX21
04-18-2008, 08:15 PM
Has to be mid-color leather for me! Dark greys and dark tan. Too dark is too hot and too light gets stained.

TMCNo1
04-18-2008, 08:17 PM
I want a convertible tow vehicle. Someone needs to come out with a full size truck or SUV with a convertible top.
Your ride is waiting!

BrianM
04-18-2008, 08:30 PM
Your ride is waiting!

Those were not quite full sized but that Dakota would pull a Prostar 190 just fine. I remember when those convertabile Dakotas came out. Only sold them for a couple of years.

Just restore an old K5 Blazer '76 and earlier the entire top came off not just the rear section.

shepherd
04-18-2008, 09:23 PM
Your ride is waiting!

I remember those! That's what gave me the idea. I heard they had leakage problems.

Actually, I was thinking about something new. The closest I could find was an Avalanche with a sunroof open and all the windows (including the back window) down.:love:

03 35th Anniversary
04-18-2008, 10:01 PM
I had a 2002 WS6 Trans Am with T-Tops and it had black leather int. and it would get HOT!!!!!! So I could just imagine a convertible. With black int.

h2oskifreak
04-18-2008, 11:49 PM
Any convertible is hot w/ leather. I have one w/ tan leather and had one w/ cream. Even the light is hot when you leave the car for just a short time. I can't imagine what black would be like. I think the only way to even possibly make black work is to have some sort of covering (towell, etc.) to place over it when you get out. Leather is still the way to go, cloth is hard to clean and looks cheap, just my opinion. I have 6 cars 3 w/ leather, 3 cloth, leather is better.

Aric'sX15
04-18-2008, 11:56 PM
double post.

Aric'sX15
04-18-2008, 11:56 PM

Our 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited does the trick. we just put a new soft top on, and it should pull the boat just fine. (just haven't tried)
http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa23/AricBrabec/IMG_0545.jpg

FrankSchwab
04-19-2008, 12:48 AM
I spent 4 years driving a Miata out here in Phoenix with a black cloth interior.

Never had a problem with the seat temperatures. The Miata seats were actually cooler if I left the top down than the leather in my Explorer. They heated up with Sunlight in 115 degree ambient; the Explorer heated up with sunlight in 150 degree ambient.

/frank

shepherd
04-19-2008, 07:08 AM
Our 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited does the trick. we just put a new soft top on, and it should pull the boat just fine. (just haven't tried)

Man, that thing look like a tank!

I like it. :D

djhuff
04-21-2008, 08:47 AM
I had black leather in my mustang conv. Really wasn't that bad. We would just park it with the top up and the windows down and there was no problem. Sure it was warm, but no worse than anything else. The hottest part of those seats was the chrome seat belt buckle. That thing would leave a mark!!!

BrianM
04-21-2008, 09:21 AM
The closest I could find was an Avalanche with a sunroof open and all the windows (including the back window) down.:love:

On nice days this is awful close to having a 4 door convertible truck. Beautiful day today. I might just take my back window out. :cool:

shepherd
04-21-2008, 01:37 PM
On nice days this is awful close to having a 4 door convertible truck. Beautiful day today. I might just take my back window out. :cool:

We came "this close" to buying one of those last year (you can't see, but my thumb and forefinger are 1/4" apart :rolleyes: )

But we bought a boat instead! :D

JBaker
04-21-2008, 03:58 PM
I spent 4 years driving a Miata out here in Phoenix with a black cloth interior.

Never had a problem with the seat temperatures. The Miata seats were actually cooler if I left the top down than the leather in my Explorer. They heated up with Sunlight in 115 degree ambient; the Explorer heated up with sunlight in 150 degree ambient.

/frank

How did that Miata work out for you?