PDA

View Full Version : Prostar 205 Extreme Pull to the right! Any Suggestions

205corvette
04-18-2008, 10:02 AM
Good morning. I just picked up a 1997 Prostar 205 series MasterCraft and just took it out on the water for the first time and it has an extreme pull to the right and is almost hard to steer to the left. Has anyone out there experienced this same condition and does anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you for your help!

Chad

wakeX2wake
04-18-2008, 10:06 AM
there are threads on here you can consult about sanding your rudder... i would recommed a very solid mechanical check over by trained eyes first however

205corvette
04-18-2008, 10:10 AM
Thanks for the heads up...I will go check them out. Thanks.

wakeX2wake
04-18-2008, 10:11 AM
might want to see if someone else monkeyed w/ sand the rudder... it's a possibility it just needs refurbed... i would seriously give your mechanics a good check over though

205corvette
04-18-2008, 10:42 AM
Good morning. I just picked up a 1997 Prostar 205 series MasterCraft and just took it out on the water for the first time and it has an extreme pull to the right and is almost hard to steer to the left. Has anyone out there experienced this same condition and does anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you for your help!

Chad

H20skeefreek
04-18-2008, 10:45 AM
If the rudder was ground, it'd pull hard to the starboard, but would still turn to port easily.

Ric
04-18-2008, 10:49 AM
I suggest you get out there and ski you animal!

mrprostar
04-18-2008, 10:56 AM
I went through the same thing when I first got my boat. EXTREME is a relative term and to anyone used to driving an inboard thinks extreme right turns are if you can't go left. Basically its normal.

205corvette
04-18-2008, 10:59 AM
The issue is if you take your hands off the wheel at all it will dive to the right. I have had a few MasterCrafts and have never experienced this type of handling

Ric
04-18-2008, 11:01 AM
seriously 205, your rudder has been "tuned" by a previous owner. Search that subject on this site, there are tons of entries about it. It's normal and popular for slalom course skiing, but if you hate it, you can neutralize the pull by tuning the rudder the other way.

Sodar
04-18-2008, 11:04 AM
It has been answered about 15 times now.... just use the search button or read the frequently asked questions!

http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=5427

Just grind the opposite direction and it will track with no pull. I see now reason why it would be hard to turn left. It should turn the same each way, just pull to the right. Perhaps your cable is a little tough. Here is how to remedy the pull to the right: http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showpost.php?p=107070&postcount=12

coz
04-18-2008, 11:04 AM

Thank you for your help!

Chad

This sounds like how an i/o works :confused: I havn't had to go there on mine but is there a steering dampner in there that might be bad? Actually this is a question too, is there a dampner?. I would check cables first then go from there, maybe you have play one way and tight the other. I'm more than sure you'll get an answer from someone shortly.

east tx skier
04-18-2008, 11:09 AM
The issue is if you take your hands off the wheel at all it will dive to the right. I have had a few MasterCrafts and have never experienced this type of handling

I would suggest that you leave it alone for a few outings and see if you get used to it. My last boat, a 93 205, had that kind of right hand pull and I'm working very hard to recreate it in my current boat.

Once you get used to it, you may find that you won't want one that handles any other way.

JR34
04-18-2008, 11:10 AM
My $ is on the steering cable needing to be replaced.

Ric
04-18-2008, 11:11 AM
My $ is on the steering cable needing to be replaced. how much are we talkin here?

east tx skier
04-18-2008, 11:13 AM
My $ is on the steering cable needing to be replaced.

how much are we talkin here?

I'll take a piece of that action.

JR34
04-18-2008, 11:20 AM
Let's go with $0.84 since my mechanical knowledge falls well short of most of the guys replying to this thread. ....I am just going off experience I had with my 01 190. This sounds exactly like our first time out especially the "hard to steer to the left part", which was remedied once the cable was replaced. A pull to the right is ok but it shouldn't be hard to steer left.

205corvette
04-18-2008, 11:53 AM
Thanks everyone. While it seems tracking to right is normal, it is the hard left steer that is concerning. I will start researching all the posts and suggestions. Thanks again!

east tx skier
04-18-2008, 12:28 PM
Let's go with $0.84 since my mechanical knowledge falls well short of most of the guys replying to this thread. ....I am just going off experience I had with my 01 190. This sounds exactly like our first time out especially the "hard to steer to the left part", which was remedied once the cable was replaced. A pull to the right is ok but it shouldn't be hard to steer left.

I'm taking my money off the table as I didn't see the hard to steer left part.

Ben
04-18-2008, 12:50 PM
Hw does it steer when you are not moving. If it turns freely, the cable is probably ok. If not, start with your cable.

As to the rudder tuning, I agree w/ETS, leave it for a while, you may end up liking it. Mine came that way (I prefer it now), and it is much harder to drive my friends boats through the course that don't have a tuned rudder.

The downside, as you indicate, is letting go of the wheel at 36mph is not a good idea....

east tx skier
04-18-2008, 01:12 PM
The downside, as you indicate, is letting go of the wheel at 36mph is not a good idea....

But then again, is that a good idea to begin with? :rolleyes:

Side note. My wife used to hate the combination of tense throttle return spring and right hand pull. Really, she just hated the throttle return spring. She'd try to get her hair out of her face while driving and either the boat would abruptly slow down or make a hard right turn (depending on which hand she used). Wasn't fun at the end of the rope either.

Ski Bum
04-19-2008, 12:52 AM
A turnament boat should have the rudder loaded. If you let go of the wheel it will spin out if loaded. Master craft will spin right. Correct craft will spin left. Due to a reverse rotating engine. So If you turn the other way that its loaded it turns a teek harder. If the rudder is not loaded the boat will dart around in the course. If you dont ski the course and dont like the pull grind the trailing edge of the rudder. If pulls right right and you want to fix it grind the left. A little at a time till you like it.

flat broke
04-19-2008, 01:38 AM
hey guys here is a rookie ? my mc 190 is my first like people boat I have. my other is a flatbottom V-DRIVE. so my ? is that when you look from the back of my mc the rudder vs the prop shaft the rudder sits to the left ? om my flatty the prop and rudder are in a prefect line together ? can anyone describe why it is like this ? thank you

flat broke
04-21-2008, 05:42 PM
bump..........

Sodar
04-21-2008, 05:51 PM
Welcome flat broke! Where in the west are you?

To answer your question, the rudder is offset to obtain a cleaner water flow over the rudder and help to keep the boat tracking straight by countering the prop torque.

What year and type of boat is your flatty? Motor looks pretty tall, I am guessing it is blown?