PDA

View Full Version : Oil Filter!!!!!! Help!!!!!

BCBlazers
04-18-2008, 12:51 AM
I just bought my MC last March and haven't changed the oil yet, so i'm still a Newb. I need to change the oil this weekend and I need some help on the oil filter. Its a 2004 X-2 w/ the 350 MCX. Any help w/ this would be awesome and if you have any tricks about changing the oil or gettin her ready for spring, i'd appreciate it!!!

Thanks guys,
Forrest

88 PS190
04-18-2008, 01:02 AM
http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=18005

05 MCX should be the same.

If you look at your filter it should have some numbers on it, with that number any NAPA/Autozone/even wally world should have a filter that works. I agree with bigmac avoid the fram, but otherwise there are some good filters for not much money at any of those places.

(

djhuff
04-18-2008, 12:18 PM
When you take the old filter off, use a plastic bag around it so that when the oil drips out, it doesn't get all over your pretty bilge.

Filter should be a Penzoil PZ-3 or equivalent. Do a search on here to find out which one to use if you can't get a penzoil.

Don't worry about marine oil, just make sure it is CH-4/SJ approved. I've been using shell rotella t lately. It'll be with the Diesel oil.

If you are going to use the drain tube at the bottom of the oil pan, you need to get that engine good and warm before it will flow good. Not just water temp, you need to let it run a while to get the oil good and hot, otherwise it won't come out of that little tube (unless you want to wait a week for it to all drain).

Other than that, enjoy it, that is one of my favorite times with my boat. Just me and the boat. Kind of bonding time. One of the reasons why I do it 3-4 times a year.

vogelm1
04-18-2008, 01:32 PM
Plastic bag around the filter to catch oil is a good idea. I've used a cut down one-gallon milk jug with good results too. If you spill a few drops in the bilge, wipes up, no biggie. Just becareful of the carpet:cool:

fatladysingin
05-18-2008, 12:42 AM
is there a valve that opens up the pan into the drain tube?

When you take the old filter off, use a plastic bag around it so that when the oil drips out, it doesn't get all over your pretty bilge.

Filter should be a Penzoil PZ-3 or equivalent. Do a search on here to find out which one to use if you can't get a penzoil.

Don't worry about marine oil, just make sure it is CH-4/SJ approved. I've been using shell rotella t lately. It'll be with the Diesel oil.

If you are going to use the drain tube at the bottom of the oil pan, you need to get that engine good and warm before it will flow good. Not just water temp, you need to let it run a while to get the oil good and hot, otherwise it won't come out of that little tube (unless you want to wait a week for it to all drain).

Other than that, enjoy it, that is one of my favorite times with my boat. Just me and the boat. Kind of bonding time. One of the reasons why I do it 3-4 times a year.

Dottiesboat
05-18-2008, 12:53 AM
If the hose is secured above the skirt of the block you should be able to drop the hose out of the hole in the hull and take off the cap. Oil should run freely, if not check for a kink.

fatladysingin
05-18-2008, 09:43 AM
Thanks for your help!!

If the hose is secured above the skirt of the block you should be able to drop the hose out of the hole in the hull and take off the cap. Oil should run freely, if not check for a kink.

JohnnyB
05-18-2008, 09:53 AM
I buy CarQuest Gold filters (WIXX) which happen to be white in color. I take a sharpie and write the date and hours on the filter so I know when the oil was last changed.

bigmac
05-18-2008, 10:43 AM
Most cost-effective filter I've found is the Wix 51069 or the NAPA Gold 1069 (same filter). The Pennzoil filters are made by Fram - certainly would not be my first choice.

You'll see a rubber hose hooked to the upper part of the block with a brass end on it. You can unhook it and drop it through one of the hull drains and dribble it to the outside. Messy. I prefer to hook up a suction device using some adapters I picked up at the hardware store for a couple of bucks. No dribbling and I don't have the hassle of trying to feed the hose through the transom drain. No valves to turn - just remove the brass end and hook up the suction. Obviously, it the end of the hose is higher than the level of oil in the pan, oil won't come out until you hook up the suction.

The nice thing about suction directly to the hose is that you can change the oil with the engine warm without the hassle of hooking it up to a hose in your driveway, which is helpful because the engine should be at operating temp, or at least warm to change the oil. I just change engine and transmission oil in my boat lift after a short run across the bay.

JimN
05-18-2008, 11:24 AM
I hope that by saying you bought it "last March", you mean two months ago and not the March from last year.

TMCNo1
05-19-2008, 09:48 PM
Put some old towels under the filter location first and on the floor near the filter before you start and there will be no oil to clean up.