PDA

View Full Version : Master-Craft Trailer Guide Covers

bobbyB
04-17-2008, 06:19 PM
Ok, so I have just reread the "forum rules" and am going to try to approach this in an acceptable way.

So about 1 month ago I ordered a pair of the MasterCraft trailer guide covers and recieved them shortly thereafter. Installed on boat trailer and was pleased.....so far, so good.

First trip out to the lake I splashed the boat and left it at the dock so I could redo the bunks on the trailer. On the way home I started to notice a part of the nylon cover starting to flop in the wind????? By the time I got home (15mins from lake) one of the covers had come 3/4 of the way off of the padding and the other side was starting to come apart too. The seams were simply "blowing" apart in the wind. I went to a portion of the cover that was intact and tried to pull on the seam...it came apart surprisingly easy. Not good.

I contacted MC to see what we could do about this and they responded right away and have made good effort to rectify things. Here's the part that I do not get.

I was told by a rep of the company that "One note, we do advise not trailering with the guide covers on." Huh??? I asked for clarification and was told "We’ve had instances of the trailer guide covers blowing off, and suggest trailering without the covers to avoid this." It was at this point that I respectfully told them that that was the dumbest thing I'd ever heard of.

So, is it just me, or does this sound nuts? There's got to be another one of you guys out there who has these....had any problems with them???

B

chico
04-17-2008, 06:41 PM
Gotta get covers made by Brenda at IN TOW.com.Mine are 3 years old and are made from sunbrella.

Hammer
04-17-2008, 06:58 PM
I've got the MC covers and have NEVER removed them. Starting to come apart a little but they are 6 years old.

TMCNo1
04-17-2008, 07:08 PM
I got 2 pair I have run for 15 years when we travel on long trips with the boat/trailer, to protect the chrome guidebars from sandblasting, truck grease, bugs, etc. and neither pair have come apart. May just be better quality then vs now. I've even taken the fabric off the insulation and thrown them in the washing machine with no problems.

bobbyB
04-17-2008, 07:27 PM
Gotta get covers made by Brenda at IN TOW.com.Mine are 3 years old and are made from sunbrella.

hey chico

I tried that site (and a couple of variations of it) and can't seem to get a hit. Could it be something different??

B

russlars
04-17-2008, 09:59 PM
I have the MC guide covers on my trailer and had a problem with them sliding up on the rails at highway speeds. My solution was to run another cable tie around the cable ties at the bottom of the covers and around the cross member at the bottom of the trailer guide. This keeps them from sliding up on the highway and from floating up when launching. I have had no problems with seams coming apart and mine are 3 years old.

scottkirbysavage
04-17-2008, 11:49 PM
Howdy,
Got them last year and have had no problems. Just got damn bug guts on em!

ORX-1
04-18-2008, 10:59 AM
had a set for two seasons, no problems. one slides down sometime on the freeway but thats about it. Did mastercraft send you a new set?

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk192/greggrossi_2008/Boat004.jpg

wakeX2wake
04-18-2008, 11:03 AM
mine stay on... i slide the down to keep them from coming off the top at highway speeds and slide them up when loading and unloading

mbtka
04-19-2008, 12:34 PM
We've never had any problems with ours. We've had the same ones for 9 years.

SunCoast 83
04-19-2008, 10:34 PM
I have had a set for 3 years now and are almost as good as new. They do tend to slide down the poles at highway traveling speeds. I think MC should chalk it up and send you a new pair. Obviously they were defective in some manner.

bobbyB
04-21-2008, 12:20 AM
had a set for two seasons, no problems. one slides down sometime on the freeway but thats about it. Did mastercraft send you a new set?

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk192/greggrossi_2008/Boat004.jpg

After they told me I needed to take them off while trailering, I then told them I thought that was pretty dumb....since then they haven't been sending e-mails back to me. I'll give them a few more days to settle down and then I'll try to call and see what they are proposing.

bobbyB
04-21-2008, 12:26 AM
I have had a set for 3 years now and are almost as good as new. They do tend to slide down the poles at highway traveling speeds. I think MC should chalk it up and send you a new pair. Obviously they were defective in some manner.

Sounds like the worst problem anyone has been having is having them slide up or down while heading down the road. The one's I got simple blew apart at the seams while going down the road. I asked them to give a test yank on a posible replacement set before they sent to me...haven't heard back if they even tried this.

I probably pissed them off when I told them I thought it was stupid to have to take them off while going down the road. If I did, then I guess my customer service isn't going to be to great.

ProStar Slalom
04-21-2008, 06:43 AM
You're not alone. I just got my set in the mail; they suck! The nylon covers are a very thin material, and one of them wasn't even sewn together for the last 1 1/2 inches on one end. They must have switched their manufacturer over the past few years. The set I bought in 2002 was much higher quality.

SNATCHEM
04-21-2008, 07:45 AM
This is very concerning because only today I have asked my local Dealer to order two guides for me from Mastercraft.
I will await with interest to see the quality as Mastercraft claim to be the best - these accessories should be no exception!

bobbyB
04-21-2008, 11:03 AM
You're not alone. I just got my set in the mail; they suck! The nylon covers are a very thin material, and one of them wasn't even sewn together for the last 1 1/2 inches on one end. They must have switched their manufacturer over the past few years. The set I bought in 2002 was much higher quality.

Have you contacted MC about them? What are they offering to do for you?

I'm with you about the quality of the new nylon....very thin. The covers I've seen in the past have all fit fairly snugly around the foam...these new one's are pretty sloppy fitting.

cbryan70
04-21-2008, 11:12 AM
just call erk and get some they make

ProStar Slalom
04-21-2008, 03:47 PM
I haven't contacted MC yet, but I'll be sure to send some hate mail soon. We'll see if the fact that I own 3 MasterCrafts carries any weight...

brucemac
04-21-2008, 05:30 PM
are we talking about the one's from the online MC store? if so, i'm glad i read this thread. i almost bought a pair last week prior to picking up my new-to-me boat. believe it or not, i was actually a little suprised at the price (surprised they were reasonable), so much so that i questioned their quality and did not order. granted they shouldn't really cost more than that, but i'd pay more if they were of good quality. i actually wonder if maybe the online store's are different than the guides you'd get if you bought a new boat? at any rate if anybody knows the scoop, or knows where to get one's that are of lasting quality (with the logo), please let me know or pm me. i have guides now, but they're just black and blank. it would be nice to have the one's with the logo on them.

bbeach
04-21-2008, 05:33 PM
Mine don't say Mastercraft on them, but I've had them on my trailer for 8-9 years now and no problems.

Roonie's
04-21-2008, 05:52 PM
I have ones from my dealer that say their name on them and came with new boat 07. They have held up to 3800 miles of towing last summer without a problem all at highway speeds. They still look new without any problems. I was also considering getting ones from the online store as a backup but after reading this I won't.

bobbyB
04-21-2008, 06:51 PM
are we talking about the one's from the online MC store? if so, i'm glad i read this thread. i almost bought a pair last week prior to picking up my new-to-me boat. believe it or not, i was actually a little suprised at the price (surprised they were reasonable), so much so that i questioned their quality and did not order. granted they shouldn't really cost more than that, but i'd pay more if they were of good quality. i actually wonder if maybe the online store's are different than the guides you'd get if you bought a new boat? at any rate if anybody knows the scoop, or knows where to get one's that are of lasting quality (with the logo), please let me know or pm me. i have guides now, but they're just black and blank. it would be nice to have the one's with the logo on them.

Yeah they are the one's that they sell on the site-

bobbyB
04-21-2008, 07:00 PM
Below is the e-mail I recieved from them regarding mine blowing apart.

Thank you for your email. I am very sorry to hear that your guide covers are pulling apart, and I will research this. A new pair will be sent out at no cost today, and I will go back and make sure that they are not pulling apart at the seams. One note, we do advise not trailering with the guide covers on.

Here was my reply

Did you try to pull apart the seam on the another one yet? If you find that it pulls apart at the seams, then I really don't want to hassle you with sending out a new pair. If this is the case, I'll just ship back to you, throw away or ????...you let me know.

" We've had instances of the trailer guide covers blowing off, and suggest trailering without the covers to avoid this." Realize that I have the utmost respect for the name MasterCraft and the quality that is associated with it, so don't take this personally; but that the dumbest thing I've ever heard of. I don't say that out of anger or disgust, but rather a feeling of disbelief that that MasterCraft thinks that statement seems "acceptable". When I buy a MasterCraft product I expect nothing but the best, and am willing to pay for it; but no MasterCraft owner out there is going to take those covers off b/c it might rip or blow away. Every MC owner out there that I know of flies your company name with pride. Why would we be taking a trailer guide cover off that has the MC name on it?

The scenario would go like this:

Drive to lake without covers on. BTW- this will look totally "bayliner" having just a foam pad for a trailer guide!
Pull into boat launch and quickly put my covers on.
Splash the boat, day on the lake and take it out.
Take covers back off
Drive home and park in garage
Put covers back on to dry in garage.

Does this not seem silly? I realize that you are taking care of complaints and trying to deal with them, so print this e-mail and take to whomever you need to get them to fix this problem.

Sodar
04-21-2008, 07:19 PM
Pretty silly response, but a response, none the less!

Here is what I have done to stop them from riding up or falling down or blowing off. I took the rubber end cap off the tip of the guide posts. I then put the guide cover on and stuck the cap over the edges of the fabric.

Here are some pics...

TX.X-30 fan
04-21-2008, 08:41 PM
I got some all black ones, that lettering gets on the rail and is a biatch to get off.

TX.X-30 fan
04-21-2008, 08:43 PM
Is the # on there an on the water tow service?? :D

Tim2ski
04-22-2008, 12:26 AM
Just bought a 2003 Prostar 197 to replace my 89 Prostar 190. I bought 2 new covers and before I got 100 miles down the road they were both flapping in the breeze like two flags. The new ones are made of a parachute like material as opposed to the ones I took off at the dealership which are more of a type of canvas. I just mailed what was left of the covers back to the dealership. I will follow up with a phone call to see what the dealer plans to do. He said he has had his for several years and never had a problem.

SNATCHEM
04-22-2008, 07:47 AM
Very Funny bobbyB!
Need a good laugh tonight.
Just hope Malibu owners are'nt laughing at me as I do the change over of Mastercraft Guides on the Boat ramp while everybody is waiting to launch!

O2BESOHUGE
04-22-2008, 09:31 AM
A Black Zip Tie Around The Top Solves The Problem...

O2

loeweb
04-22-2008, 09:45 AM
I would think one around the bottom would be better. Air is probably getting in from the bottom and working the pad off not the top

bzmillerboy
04-22-2008, 11:01 AM
Funny I came across this thread because my original reason for visiting the site today was to get the store customer service phone number so I can get my trailer pad covers replaced. I just bought mine a week ago and the first 2 minutes (literately) on the highway they were completely ripped off and flapping in the wind. I would have lost it but the elastic band around the bottom was the only thing holding it on. I'll let you know know how they respond and if they replace them for me, hopefully the next pair last longer than 2 minutes.

I know they are not made by mastercraft but it stinks for a product that has the mastercraft name on it not to carry mastercraft quality.

russlars
04-22-2008, 11:15 AM
I would have lost it but the elastic band around the bottom was the only thing holding it on.

I am curious. Do the covers you are all having problems with have elastic at the bottom? The ones I purchased a couple years ago have a zip tie at the bottom and I they seem to be holding up well. Maybe they have changed the manufacturer or design on them?:confused:

bobbyB
04-22-2008, 11:19 AM
I am curious. Do the covers you are all having problems with have elastic at the bottom? The ones I purchased a couple years ago have a zip tie at the bottom and I they seem to be holding up well. Maybe they have changed the manufacturer or design on them?:confused:

The new ones have an elastic band at the top and bottom; however the elastic really doesn't work all that well....kinda like the elastic on a pair of 3yr old tighty-white's:(

flipper
04-22-2008, 11:30 AM
I've had mine for about four years with no problem. One thing I did do to be on the safe side is roll up the sleeve, cut the foam a little, put a hose clamp on to hold the sleeve in place, and rolled back down to cover up the clamp. Works great, and you don't see anything.

SNATCHEM
04-24-2008, 09:47 AM
bzmillerboy,
Why would Matercraft allow their name to be on something like this when the product is obviously inferior ?
I dont know about you but I have always trusted the name!
I really dont know whether I should cancel my order or not!
Please keep us up to date with progress of your complaint.

bobbyB
04-24-2008, 11:09 AM
Ok. So last night I got a replacement set of covers in the mail. I was actually surprised to see them sitting on the front deck, b/c MC hasn't been responding to my e-mails. I've asked them repeatedly to let me know if they "test pulled" on a set before they set them out. No responce, and then a new set shows up. Don't know whether to be ticked or not??? On one hand I'm happy they sent out a replacement set; but on the other, the lack of comunication is frustrating. :mad:

The one interesting thing is that when the new covers came, there was a white sticker that was on the plastic wrapping that said something like: "As some of these covers have blown off, MasterCraft recommends not trailering with the covers on." Stupid! This tells me that if the seams rip out again and it blows away, that MC isn't going to cover it...."We told you not to trailer with the covers on!...not our problem!"

At this point I don't even want to open the plastic and try them. I've gotten a bad taste in my mouth about this product, and have about gotten to the point that I just don't want them on my trailer anymore. What do you guys think about this whole thing??:confused:

KnoxX2
04-24-2008, 11:34 AM
Bobby- I understand that you are very frustrated and I can see why. However I just read this thread through and am thinking to myself. Wow that is some great customer service that MasterCraft has shown. I mean you contacted them about a problem and they responded to you by replacing the product. I am sure that MasterCraft dose not make these and I know that when they are ordered online they are drop shipped from the Company that has the contract for the Pro Shop. I know a lot of other company’s would have responded by saying there is no warranty for your purchased product. Just my opinion.

Suggestion: Take the new covers to a alterations shop and have them double stitched.
Hope this helps!!!!!

bobbyB
04-24-2008, 12:27 PM
Bobby- I understand that you are very frustrated and I can see why. However I just read this thread through and am thinking to myself. Wow that is some great customer service that MasterCraft has shown. I mean you contacted them about a problem and they responded to you by replacing the product. I am sure that MasterCraft dose not make these and I know that when they are ordered online they are drop shipped from the Company that has the contract for the Pro Shop. I know a lot of other company’s would have responded by saying there is no warranty for your purchased product. Just my opinion.

Suggestion: Take the new covers to a alterations shop and have them double stitched.
Hope this helps!!!!!

If you look closely you'll see that I did say that MC responded right away....that was never a prob. They also sent out a replacement pair...once again "two thumbs up".

Here's what's got me bent:

I assume that anything with the name MC on it should be high quality.
As testified by others about this product, it is of poor quality.
Tried to throw out a cover-up statement about not trailering with the coves on.
Ask them to test it before sending...never hear back about it.

Ok yes. I've got a brand new pair sittin on the work bench....be happy right? Bottom line, I'm just not happy about this whole sitch. Knox- I realize that you suggest taking the "make the best of it" approach, and I normally do just that, but why should a person have to take a product and go modify/fix it so it works like it's supposed too:confused: That's like getting your new boat and them saying, "Here's your new boat Mr. Jones. Oh, and by the way, we suggest you have the holes in the bottom repaired so it will float."

Alright...I guess I'm just on a product quality rant.....I'll get over it......Ok, I'm over it......for now!

brucemac
04-24-2008, 01:53 PM
hee hee

pretty sure mastercraft contracts out that whole merchandising arm anyway. so technically yes, it is their problem, but whoever has that contract is the one who's getting the inferior product made. it almost makes me wonder if there's actually two kinds. one's that come on the trailers that are bought new, and these "after market" cheapies. at any rate, not the end of the world, but i can see how you would be frustrated. i'll live with my black blank one's for now. maybe they'll change them. if anybody ever buys a pare and they work great, let me know. i would like to own a pair some day, but i'm not going to pull them off when i trailer, that part is silly.

fwiw, i bought some goodies from the store and ended up getting a box of 15 40th hats the next day. they were intended for MC of Arizona. :)

i called up and they sent call tags. i did get my goodies promptly though and the order was complete. happy camper.

bzmillerboy
04-25-2008, 09:24 AM
3 days have gone by for me and no response from the customer service to my email. I sure hope a new pair show up on my front door as well, but some communication would be nice as well as professional.

bzmillerboy
04-25-2008, 09:35 AM
I just called the customer service phone number to seek out an update. The lady I spoke with was very nice and helpful, and said they had already took note on my account that new trailer pad covers would be sent to me (but I never received an email notifying me of this). She explained they recently switched to a new vendor and have had several issues with the covers. They are sending all of them back to have them fixed and done properly. Once they receive them back they will replace the faulty ones customers have received. Understandable, and happy they are willing to replace them!

TMCNo1
04-25-2008, 10:01 AM
I just called the customer service phone number to seek out an update. The lady I spoke with was very nice and helpful, and said they had already took note on my account that new trailer pad covers would be sent to me (but I never received an email notifying me of this). She explained they recently switched to a new vendor and have had several issues with the covers. They are sending all of them back to have them fixed and done properly. Once they receive them back they will replace the faulty ones customers have received. Understandable, and happy they are willing to replace them!

There is something I don't understand!
TT Admin has given us the info to contact the ProShop people, http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showpost.php?p=461469&postcount=26 to complain, order, followup, resolve problems, yet TT Admin/MC Boat Company/Marketing Dept. apparently has never informed the ProShop people to communicate with us. This should not be a one way street, now should it?
Why do customers have to beg for information, WHY??????????????

peason
04-25-2008, 10:20 AM
Take the covers off to trailer the boat. That has got to be the dumbest thing I have every heard of - obviously the people responding, launch thier boat once a year and never have to trailer it anywhere. Or better yet they don't even have a boat let alone a MasterCraft.

TMCNo1
04-25-2008, 10:46 AM
Bad news is not good news!
Upset, confused, disappointed customers do not mean new customers, it means those that are having problems spread the word faster than happy customers and new or repeat customers think twice before purchasing the first time or purchasing again. We are not talking about pennies on the dollar, back room, under the counter junk here, but supposedly quality stuff sold by/for MasterCraft with their name on it, representing the worlds foremost watersports boat manufacturer. This business, of installing a note, printing on the package or whatever, about not towing with these guidebar covers, because of poor quality/worksmanship is uncalled for!
Seeing all this going on after being online for only a little over two years, I feel sorry for those that are not online who need, want MC stuff, no matter what it is and have to deal with antiquated forms of communications!

flipper
04-25-2008, 11:32 AM
Bad news is not good news!
Upset, confused, disappointed customers do not mean new customers, it means those that are having problems spread the word faster than happy customers and new or repeat customers think twice before purchasing the first time or purchasing again. We are not talking about pennies on the dollar, back room, under the counter junk here, but supposedly quality stuff sold by/for MasterCraft with their name on it, representing the worlds foremost watersports boat manufacturer. This business, of installing a note, printing on the package or whatever, about not towing with these guidebar covers, because of poor quality/worksmanship is uncalled for!
Seeing all this going on after being online for only a little over two years, I feel sorry for those that are not online who need, want MC stuff, no matter what it is and have to deal with antiquated forms of communications!

Well put...that's how I ended up on here. I wanted some MC stuff to go with my boat, and could find it anywhere. My dealer didn't carry much of that kind of stuff at the time. Not to mention if you ask them anything, the only answer they ever have is "bring it down, and we'll look at it", which means more money.

bobbyB
04-25-2008, 12:24 PM
I've been researching putting a new sound system on my boat lately. My search led me to another boat forum where they had started a thread on a problem with the Wetsounds WS-420 unit. A representive from Wetsounds logged onto this other site and addressed the problems that they were having. Here's the responce:

Hey Guys,

Sorry been out of town. We have had a few EQ's that have had some noise issues. We have produced 1000's of them and have run into a small batch that seems to have some noise issues. A lot of the times, there is some noise in the system before and a line driver will amplify the pre existing noise. But the small batch seems to be on the mic side. For those that have the noise. Try unplugging the mic and let me know what that does. If you have a problem, e mail gyver@wetsounds.com and he can get you a new one swapped out. So don't worry, I am on it and we stand behind all of our products 100%.

Tim
Wet Sounds

This is a fantastic example of great customer service. Admit there's a problem and commit to fix/replace so it works as intended. After reading this I've decided to get the WetSounds speakers...Customer support!

Harold- You hit the nail on the head...why do they think it acceptable to take this kind of approach??? Communication Communication Communication This is the basis of customer service! Tell us you have a product that has issues, and that your on it, and that you'll stand behind the product 100%. Not a cheese ball disclaimer sticker put there to cover-up a bad product.

Now I'm all wound up again.......I need a beer.

SunCoast 83
04-27-2008, 01:29 AM
I guess Master Craft is selling 70k boats with $5 accessories.....remove covers while towing???

OhioX14
04-27-2008, 11:13 AM
I'm not impressed with their T-Shirts either. I purchased three for Christmas presents (all different designs and styles) and every one of them are the poorest quality shirts I've seen in a long time. The fabric is so thin it doesn't appear that they'll last past a couple of wash cycles without falling apart and/or shrinking excessively. In my case I'm not going to hassle trying to return them, I'm just not going to ever buy from them again.

In sales you only get one chance to make a good impression and keep a customer and lousy product quality isn't a good start.

brucemac
04-27-2008, 11:36 AM
ohio, i'm with ya on the white basic one's, i was a little disappointed. the blue master's shirt is nice though.

TMCNo1
04-27-2008, 11:39 AM
Years ago, I did business with a gentleman who ran a body shop/custom paint/upholstery shop and would take in customers jobs after giving them a verbal quote and when finished would charge them as much as 50% more than he quoted and did shoddy work on top of that! I asked him why he would do them that way after he charged the customer 100% more that what I charged him for work I did for him on his customers vehicles. He said, "Look how many 10's of thousands of customers there are out there and if I only do business with a customer one time and he never returns, I still will never run out of work"! Six years later, he shot himself in the head, cause his business went belly up when he ran out of suckers! I'm just sayin'!

ProStar Slalom
05-28-2008, 08:58 AM
Well, it took a few weeks and a few emails, but MC came through for me by sending a new pair free of charge. I'm still not happy with the quality of the product, but a little needle-n-thread work with the first set, combined with a replacement set on hand....I should be good for awhile. I did recommend to Kathy at the pro shop that she consider switching manufacturers....