PDA

View Full Version : MasterCraft Cruise Control VS WakeBoard Pro

boatdad
04-17-2008, 08:17 AM
My 2006 X-15 came with cruise control and it's hard to control speed.Any tricks out there that I can use to control the speed better. Thinking about installing WakeBoard Pro but don't want to spend the $$$$$$. Help!!

TMCNo1
04-17-2008, 09:44 AM
Back in the day when we all had to walk uphill both ways, in the snow, barefooted for 7 miles and had no Cruise Contol, Wakeboard Pro, Perfect Pass, the boat drivers had to learn to control the speed with the throttle, taught it to their friends and family, generation after generation. Life is so hard today!

wakeX2wake
04-17-2008, 10:09 AM
i thought that all the '06s had wakeboard pro?... might want to double check that... i've got wakeboard pro on my x2 and it doesn't hold exactly on the speed (ie 22.5) but it's in the neighborhood close enough to not bother someone on a board... i was trying to stay out of the toy store then but i don't know of another speed control mechanism that MC used... there's always a really good chance i'm wrong

Roonie's
04-17-2008, 10:23 AM
i thought that all the '06s had wakeboard pro?... might want to double check that... i've got wakeboard pro on my x2 and it doesn't hold exactly on the speed (ie 22.5) but it's in the neighborhood close enough to not bother someone on a board... i was trying to stay out of the toy store then but i don't know of another speed control mechanism that MC used... there's always a really good chance i'm wrong

My 07 X2 only has the MC cruise control not wakeboard pro. Standard is the MC cruise control. It works ok for me. It always seems to go faster then slow down and go under the designated speed then finally settle out at the right speed. If I am the one boarding I wait for about 2 minutes until it has settled before I do my thing.

wakeX2wake
04-17-2008, 10:36 AM
awesome... i love learning... i don't think there's just a whole lot of difference in the two products to be honest... when i'm riding it really depends on how much throttle whoever is driving gives the boat in my opinion... the harder they throttle the "rougher" it will be on the rider to get settled in quick but the slower the longer it takes the boat to get set... kind of a trade off i guess for my setup in my opinion... when i'm driving i hammer it to get the most riding time b/c most of the folks behind my boat are pretty well seasoned and have been riding for a while

Chief
04-17-2008, 10:50 AM
I have the MC Cruise and once I figured out how to work it I'm glad I didn't spend the extra money because mine works fine. Holds a good speed and helped save my marriage. :)

BrandonKTM
04-17-2008, 11:09 AM
Back in the day when we all had to walk uphill both ways, in the snow, barefooted for 7 miles and had no Cruise Contol, Wakeboard Pro, Perfect Pass, the boat drivers had to learn to control the speed with the throttle, taught it to their friends and family, generation after generation. Life is so hard today!
AMEN. There is no substitute for good old fashioned hand on the throttle, feel the pull through your butt, driving and speed control. You think its tough on a Wakeboard, try trick skiing w/o cruise! Less experienced boat drivers should forget the cruise control. Learn how to drive w/o cruise,(Wives & significant others excluded from this as we know how PP has saved a few marriages ) use the throttle, maybe even figure out how to help your buddy get that last buoy w/ slight shift of the boat in the course.

wakeX2wake
04-17-2008, 11:15 AM
AMEN. There is no substitute for good old fashioned hand on the throttle, feel the pull through your butt, driving and speed control. You think its tough on a Wakeboard, try trick skiing w/o cruise! Less experienced boat drivers should forget the cruise control. Learn how to drive w/o cruise,(Wives & significant others excluded from this as we know how PP has saved a few marriages ) use the throttle, maybe even figure out how to help your buddy get that last buoy w/ slight shift of the boat in the course.

ehhh... ::mumbles:: biased drivers

ORX-1
04-17-2008, 11:57 AM
MC Cruise Control works great! I have it on my '06 and anyone that has a heart beat can drive as long as they can stear (and don't run me over on the pick-up)! Don't spend the extra money!

OhioX14
04-17-2008, 11:57 AM
Wakeboard Pro became standard on '08's with the VDIG. In my opinion, the Mastercraft Cruise on my '06 X9 was easier to operate and held the speed better than the Wakeboard Pro that came on my '08 X14.

dapicatti
04-17-2008, 01:25 PM
MC cruise seems to overshoot a little more than PP.

dapicatti
04-17-2008, 01:30 PM
We initially had problems with our MC cruise on our 06 X2, however it was most likeley driver error. We found that it does overshoot the speed you set by quite a bit if you aren't careful with the throttle. It took us some time to just see how far it over shot, and see if we could control the process a bit better. Sounds like more boat time to me:steering: :friday:

sand2snow22
04-17-2008, 01:38 PM
We initially had problems with our MC cruise on our 06 X2, however it was most likeley driver error. We found that it does overshoot the speed you set by quite a bit if you aren't careful with the throttle.:

If you just gun it and don't ease up on the throttle it will overshoot every time. I have found if you ease up to your desired speed MC cruise will not overshoot! Trick is you have to get to your desired speed otherwise it won't catch. A little practice, but I've got it dialed!

boatdad
04-17-2008, 02:45 PM
Can you tell me how to make it work? I thought I had it down but I guess not.

moleson10
04-17-2008, 04:21 PM
I use my MC cruise for surfing which is demanding for holding speed. I use the RPM set point instead of speed and it works quite well. If I use speed as a set point it doesn't work well at all. May be worth a try.

Jerseydave
04-17-2008, 08:57 PM

My '05 X-star has factory PP Wakeboard pro but sometimes the speed would "hunt" until it settled in.
Called PP and they sent me an updated chip for it. After I installed that the problem was solved. You may want to give them a call.

point1234
04-17-2008, 09:25 PM
I have an 06 x1 with MC cruise. One trick that I found is that you throttle up close to the desired speed and watch the RPMs at the same time. I would throttle up to 3200 rpms or something like that, and then throttle back slightly and the speed would lock right in. I found that the speed mode worked better than the rpm mode.

Chief
04-17-2008, 09:37 PM
Can you tell me how to make it work? I thought I had it down but I guess not.

While the boat is at idle and in netural hold the "on" button until you see speed lock flashing. Then use the + - button to set your speed and your set. As said in this forum find the area where the throttle would be without cruise and ease back on the stick until you get near so you don't shoot past your desired speed too far.

VOLFAN
04-17-2008, 10:17 PM
My boat has wakeboard pro and it is set at 19.5

It works well and stays between 19.3 and 19.8 from what little I have used it! I look forward to being pulled behind it. I may be end up eating crow, but I hope it helps my skills on the board. Plus I hope it saves my marriage! cuz of both parties complaining...

ProTour X9
04-17-2008, 10:17 PM

Amen! But do you mean walking barefoot, or barefooting on water??:rolleyes: ;)

vision
04-17-2008, 11:56 PM
We had MC cruise control on our 2005 X-2. We now have PP wake board edition on an X-star. While the PP wakeboard controls the speed tighter, the MC cruise control worked great for us. However, there was a learning curve. Unlike PP which kicks in prior to reaching the target speed, MC cruise requires that you go over the target speed to kick in. So as stated in other posts,

1) set the switch to SPEED for control mode,
2) set the desired speed before you start using the +/- switch,
3) make sure to turn the MC cruise ON ( I may have 2 and 3 reversed)
4) Pull up the rider and make sure you go past the desired speed. The harder you accelerate, the farther beyond your desired speed the boat will go before the MC cruise kicks in. It can go as much as 5 mph past your desired speed before kicking in. Do NOT back off the throttle if it over shoots the target speed. If you back off the throttle, you will immediately disengage the MC cruise. Just like tapping the brakes in a car with cruise control.

If you do not bury the throttle and pull the rider up gently, MC cruise kicks in around 2 to 3 mph over the target speed then slows down.

It will stay on until you turn the boat off. When you restart the boat, you must turn the MC cruise back on.

trunderw
04-18-2008, 12:18 AM
I just tell my fiance to speed up (thumbs up) or slow down (thumbs down) until the wake is totally gone, then I tell her to hold it with the ok sign. But then again, we don't have any courses on our lake so we just simulate the course :(

TallRedRider
11-06-2008, 01:22 PM
Can you turn the MC cruise on when you are already boarding? Like if you forget to turn it on before you throttle up?

One comment above was that the MC cruise did not work well in MPH mode for surfing...do others agree with that?

tr6coug
11-06-2008, 01:45 PM
No, it needs to be turned on before you start. I've always used it in MPH mode when surfing and it works fine. I've found that when you get up to speed and the MC cruise is controlling, it helps to push the throttle forward a bit.

btriantos
11-06-2008, 01:50 PM
If you want to get a little bit more precision out othe MC cruise, try it in RPM mode. The launch is a little scary, but once it settles, it stays locked pretty good. For the Speed mode, I found the choppier the water, and heavier the wakeboarder is, the sytem has some difficulty staying in the range. Until these systems can anticipate what the wakeboarder is about to do, and can sense all conditions, I think this is as good as it gets...IMO

MC X-15
11-06-2008, 01:55 PM
What is the difference between wakeboard pro and perfect pass, I believe my 08 X-15 with the VDIG has Perfect Pass. Or at least thats the control i have to regulate the speed

tcfila
11-07-2008, 03:28 PM
I had MC Cruise on my 06 X1. Once it got locked in, it would fluctuate 1.5 mph up and down. 3 mph is big difference.

I put in PP and it is so much better. My only complaint is that I didnt do it sooner.

wakedoc
11-07-2008, 08:18 PM
Have just had our 09 X1 for 2 weeks and can't get MC cruise worked out. For starters, it appears that we are missing the ability to select speed/rpm. The pictures I have seen have this selection in the middle of the three buttons,ours just has a blank plate there.

Also, how do you select the speed? When I turn it on, there is nothing to select speed with? The only way I have found to make it work is drive manually to the speed, hold it super steady and turn the switch to on, then make minor speed adjustments with the +/- button. Once this is set, it holds pretty well, but I wonder if it is based on rpm, as when starting again, the rpm won't go over what it was set at. I think it is entirely possible that I am just doing it completely wrong and will give a few people a chuckle, but any ideas? Anyone with an 09 that sounds similar to mine?