PDA

View Full Version : 87 fuel filter replacement

trunderw
04-16-2008, 11:21 PM
So I bought a new fuel filter from skidim a while back and I plan on putting that in soon. So, how the heck do I do that? The thing looks like an oil filter without the metal wrapper so it's just a papery looking tube. Is there pressure on the fuel filter? Can I just open it up and place this in? And how do I open it up? Help appreciated! Thanks

stuartmcnair
04-16-2008, 11:38 PM
you have a fuel filter in the housing where the fuel line goes to the carb...if you look at it you will see how to remove it. Make sure to clean that bowl out well before you put the new one in. There is also a fuel / water seperator on the other side mounted to the floor that you take the nut off from the top and drop it down.

trunderw
04-16-2008, 11:42 PM
So do I need to buy anything for the fuel/water separator? I've seen it mounted just beside one of the engine mounts (driver's side).

87 TriStar 190
04-16-2008, 11:45 PM
I have an 87 I bought new and have only changed the filter twice. 946 hours on it. Plan to do it again this spring. I'm going by memory here, so someone may have better advice than I have. Put a drip tray under the filter before you start so you will catch any fuel that drips out. Look under the filter bowl with a mirror to make sure, but I think there's a square nut attached to the bottom of the bowl. Put a wrench on it and turn it off. Just clean it out and replace the filter element. Clean the mating surfaces and install the gasket, which comes with the filter. Turn it back on and snug it up. Don't over tighten it. Remember to remove the tray with spilled fuel. I was worried about priming to fill it with fuel again, but just crank the engine and it will fill and start quickly. At least mine did last time. Good luck and let me know if I'm close to being accurate.

87 TriStar 190
04-16-2008, 11:49 PM
Mine has an orange filter bowl and it's on the passenger side. If there's another separator, I've missed it all these years. Any pictures?

trunderw
04-17-2008, 09:56 AM
My boat is at the marina where I store it. I'll bring the camera with me this weekend when we go. I'm not sure what the other thing is, I'm not all that savvy with these engines (or any engines for that matter). The fuel filter that I am sure about definitely is on the passenger side towards the front of the motor. That's what my filter replaces. But there is another object of slightly larger size that resembles the fuel filter housing on the driver's side near the side motor mount below the deck level.... Thanks for the input ya'll

TMCNo1
04-17-2008, 10:16 AM

The gold housing in the lower LH corner along the stringer is the water seperator filter and under the black cap is a big nut that you turn to drop the canister that contains the filter element. Hold the cansiter till it drops loose and don't spill it. Place a pan or towels to catch any dripping gas as mentioned above. Replace the filter/gaskets and tighten back up good and snug and wipe everything up. You should also have a small filter element under the fuel pump you need to replace too. http://www.skidim.com/ can hook you up with the parts and/or probably your local dealer, fuel seperator, http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=R080008 and fuel pump filter, http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=3943, just call to be sure! Run engine and check for leaks.

mayo93prostar
04-17-2008, 10:40 AM
Harold, you are too cool. I love the caribeaner holding the oil drain line up on the alternator bracket. another one of harold's innovative ideas.

TMCNo1
04-17-2008, 12:32 PM
Harold, you are too cool. I love the caribeaner holding the oil drain line up on the alternator bracket. another one of harold's innovative ideas.

That way it is above the oil level in the pan and for whatever reason it should never leak into the bilge. The newer boats had/have a simular feature to clip the line up on the engine, so,............................................I made my own!:D

trunderw
04-17-2008, 11:20 PM
TMCNo1: That's the other thingy I was talking about. How often should I replace the water separator?

TMCNo1
04-18-2008, 05:55 AM
TMCNo1: That's the other thingy I was talking about. How often should I replace the water separator?

I changed ours after 14 years and there was no water in it, but I'd check the owners manual, mine says every 100 hours, but since we don't use our boat, 14 years is good enough for ours! Is that overkill?

coz
04-18-2008, 09:57 AM

The gold housing in the lower LH corner along the stringer is the water seperator filter and under the black cap is a big nut that you turn to drop the canister that contains the filter element. Hold the cansiter till it drops loose and don't spill it. Place a pan or towels to catch any dripping gas as mentioned above. Replace the filter/gaskets and tighten back up good and snug and wipe everything up. You should also have a small filter element under the fuel pump you need to replace too. http://www.skidim.com/ can hook you up with the parts and/or probably your local dealer, fuel seperator, http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=R080008 and fuel pump filter, http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=3943, just call to be sure! Run engine and check for leaks.

Dang #1 your bilge looks like a 09 not an 89, drop some food in there and don't worry about the 5 second rule because it ain't gonna get dirty in there. Nice :D

TMCNo1
04-18-2008, 12:53 PM
Dang #1 your bilge looks like a 09 not an 89, drop some food in there and don't worry about the 5 second rule because it ain't gonna get dirty in there. Nice :D

I do need to polish it up a bit!:rolleyes: :D

stuartmcnair
04-18-2008, 11:18 PM
where do you find all of those...and I can't believe I am giving you this opening...nut, screw and bolt covers...

oh boy...here it comes :rolleyes: :D

TMCNo1
04-19-2008, 01:59 PM
where do you find all of those...and I can't believe I am giving you this opening...nut, screw and bolt covers...

oh boy...here it comes :rolleyes: :D

Dempsey Industries, I know I've posted before on it, somewhere you may try a search. www.dempseyind.com