PDA

View Full Version : Ps 214

mess33
04-16-2008, 10:58 PM
I currently own a 97 205 with the LT1. I am considering upgrading. I want a DD as we ski more than anything else. I am looking at the 214 but am frustrated with ski storage. What I do not understand is why they did not build a decent compartment beneath the lounge area behind the drivers seat. The space is there but the cross support would make it a real pain to use as a ski locker. I looked at the X-14 and there is still space even with the ballast tanks. Again the cross support. Some very minor re-engineering could make that area extremely useful. The skis would be in the back where they belong. I am trying to avoid a tower for storage as I keep my boat in a boat lift.
Can anyone shed light on this or did MC drop the ball. They replaced the 209 which had great storage with this. I was hoping the 08 would have a minor design change over the 07 to correct this. It did not.

Mess::(

2RLAKE
04-16-2008, 11:02 PM
I've had a 197 and X9 and now have my favorite MC yet ... a X14. When i first picked up the boat i was worried about the storage. You know what, i have everyting I need in there. We do haul our wakeboards and skiis on the racks, but I can get the kids kneeboards and a ski under the observer seat ... but i am not a pack rat. We tend to rotate equipment on and off ... wakeboards come off for a morning slalom or barefoot run .. shed those and slap on the wakeboards ... the boat works very well ... much better slalom boat than the X9

mess33
04-16-2008, 11:17 PM
I probably am a packrat. I was hoping to get away from the tower. What do you put under the seat behind the driver? I currently keep my boom and extra beach towels along with some tools under the observer seat. I think the area under the observer seat in the 214 is larger than my 205.

erkoehler
04-16-2008, 11:29 PM
If you go with the PS214 not the x-14, then you get a ski locker in the walk thru to the bow. Plenty of room in there for the slalom skis.

OhioX14
04-16-2008, 11:33 PM
We traded our '06 X9 in on an '08 X14 and we love it too. I thought storage was going to be a deal breaker but we figured it out. We carry two slalom skis, three wakeboards, a wakeskate, two kneeboards, and all the usual ropes, gloves, vests, and safety equipment. I will say that with that load the tower is used for storage while underway otherwise the skis go under the observers seat and two of the wakeboards and kneeboards on the floor. The other wakeboard, wakeskate, and ropes under the seat behind the driver.

We keep ours on a lift without a canopy so the tower is a non-issue for us. We have friends who also have an '08 X14 and they have a tower with a canopy and have just gotten accustomed to folding the tower when they put the boat away. They did that with their X9 and they do it now with the X14.

mess33
04-17-2008, 12:03 AM
Has anyone put a boom on an X14 or PS 214?

erkoehler
04-17-2008, 12:29 AM
Has anyone put a boom on an X14 or PS 214?
PS214, I have a boom for our demo.

mess33
04-17-2008, 12:04 PM
If you go with the PS214 not the x-14, then you get a ski locker in the walk thru to the bow. Plenty of room in there for the slalom skis.

I know it has a ski locker in the front but if you are a family of skiers it is best to keep what you need for skiing in the back. It is not uncommon for me to have my 3 kids and 2 or 3 neighbor kids in the boat. Trying to store stuff in the area they occupy is a losing battle. Also I am leary about putting gear below deck level. I have seen some nasty underdeck storage areas.

My frustration is that they have created the space under the lounge seat but not a way to effectively use it.