PDA

View Full Version : Nissan Murano

VOLFAN
04-16-2008, 07:48 PM
Do you guys think a Nissan Murano would do ok pulling a 03' X2?

I have seen several of the crossovers pulling boats, but was just wondering what you all thought. I actually seen one today pulling a X45 on I40 in lebanon. That makes me think we might be ok.

The wife and I are about to go crazy if we don't get to use this boat! She is wanting to bring it to CSM. She has not got to ride in it yet and I have only got to enjoy it once when I was out for the test drive.

VOLFAN
04-16-2008, 08:00 PM
I found this info
2004 MURANO TOWING DATA
Engine Type 3.5L V6
Transmission CVT
Maximum Trailer Weight1 (lbs.) 3,500
Maximum Trailer Tongue Load (lbs.) 350
Gross Combined Weight Rating (lbs.) 8,100
Additional RECOMMENDED Equipment4 Sway-Control Device

http://www.xterraparts.com/inst/2004NissanTowingGuide.pdf

dapicatti
04-16-2008, 08:04 PM
Well you could pull it, I am not sure you could stop it though.....

ORX-1
04-16-2008, 08:06 PM
The thing you should look at is the weight of the boat and the weight of the car. You want the weight of the car to be greater than the boat. Also I assume you know this but make sure you are using at least class II or III hitch. You might have some slow up hill climbs but it could prob do the job. I would really watch your transmission though, have it serviced from time to time.

coz
04-16-2008, 08:09 PM
I found this info
2004 MURANO TOWING DATA
Engine Type 3.5L V6
Transmission CVT
Maximum Trailer Weight1 (lbs.) 3,500
Maximum Trailer Tongue Load (lbs.) 350
Gross Combined Weight Rating (lbs.) 8,100
Additional RECOMMENDED Equipment4 Sway-Control Device

http://www.xterraparts.com/inst/2004NissanTowingGuide.pdf

That thing would struggle with that boat. Here's a thread that had a jeep with a 4.0 v-6 w/5000 lbs towing and see these replies. http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=21535&highlight=pulling+grand+cherokee Remember your weight your gear weight and drinks & stuff

mbtka
04-16-2008, 08:10 PM
I'm not sure what your x2 weighs but ours weighs about 3300 lbs not including the 1100 lb dual axle trailer. Add 40 gallons of gas and other things and your pushing close to 5,000 lbs. I see that the murano has a trailer rating of 3,500 lbs. Just the weight of the boat and gas alone is above your rating. I wouldn't take the chance.

ORX-1
04-16-2008, 08:20 PM
mbtka may be right. You don't want to drop the transmission and be out a car. I have an X1 same boat as your X2, and use to pull it with a v6 Explorer had did alright but could totally tell it was there. upgraded to a Tahoe and the ride is so much better.

VOLFAN
04-16-2008, 10:06 PM
Thanks for the advice... That is kinda how I felt and the reason I have not pulled it with it yet, but wanted another opinion.

I tug it around short distances on level ground with my lil toyota, but woul dnot dare want to pull it up and down the hills.

Guess the ole' boat won't see CSM until next year.

Eagle Lake Rebel
04-16-2008, 10:11 PM
No way would I use one to pull a boat. Brother-in-law has one and when it is pulling a jet ski you would think it was trying to pull & stop a much bigger load. Find a friend with a 1/2 ton truck or full size SUV and do a weekend swap.

Slinkyredfoot
04-16-2008, 10:24 PM
I had a great Ford pickup with a 4.6L six...I remember pulling a 98 205 home from Dale Hollow in the sothern hills of Ky and struggled to keep the speed at 55-60 mph uphill....I would always buy an V8 or more for my towing needs....

SchuyHigh
04-16-2008, 10:24 PM
My first response is no way. But after thinking about it (and having lived in TN) you have the worst terrain to even think about making an attempt. If you run out of options, and we make it to CSM, I have two trucks- 2001 2500HD & 2005 Z71. We may work something out if you get desperate.

coz
04-16-2008, 10:28 PM
Guess the ole' boat won't see CSM until next year.

That's not really a bad thing. CSM sounds like a major party and good time so leave the driving/towing to someone else and you do the partying and riding. :D

bigmac
04-16-2008, 10:29 PM
My wife is on her second Murano. Great vehicle. Absolutely no way it will pull an X2 safely.

WTRSK1R
04-16-2008, 10:30 PM
X2 SPECIFICATIONS
Length: 20'0

Add For Platform: 22' 1

Width Amidship: 94

Boat Weight: 3500 lbs

Fuel Capacity: 45 gallons

Depth At Transom: 27-1/2

Depth Amidship: 26-1/2

Draft: 27

Capacity: 11 persons or 1609 lbs

The weight above is without the trailer, and without gas. It appears that you have already realized that it wont quite cut it, but thought I would post the specs in case anyone else was thinking about pulling an X2 with a Class II hitch. Personally I would not do it unless it was a VERY short distance back and forth to the lake.

trunderw
04-16-2008, 11:16 PM
My mom has a murano AWD CVT V6 and based on how it towed their jetski I wouldn't to a real boat behind it.

lanier92prostar
04-17-2008, 12:38 AM
I wouldn't tow your boat behind it. It might have enough power, but not enough weight. If you decided to, make sure you use the sway control because that boat will take over the first time you are passed by a semi on the interstate. Alsp. give plenty of room to stop it because you won't be able to easily.

VOLFAN
04-17-2008, 07:27 AM
That's not really a bad thing. CSM sounds like a major party and good time so leave the driving/towing to someone else and you do the partying and riding. :D

That was kinda my thoughts on it!

We are just about to go crazy to get to use this boat! The wife says it is my mistress, beacause I am always going out to clean on it or do something to it. The wife hardly has gotten to even see it and I think she wants to get some time in it worst than I do!

School Skier
04-17-2008, 10:27 AM
I knew someone who pulled a 205 with a Blazer with a six in it boy did it struggle. I like and eight for pulling boats.

russlars
04-17-2008, 11:07 AM
My wife has an '08 Murano and I didn't even put a hitch on it. It is a great vehicle, but I wouldn't tow anything larger than a utility trailer with it. I just don't get the impression that it is a sturdy enough vehicle for towing something heavy, plus I am not sure how the CVT transmission would do pulling heavy loads.:twocents:

wakeX2wake
04-17-2008, 11:13 AM
rent a truck if you want to take it a long way... not expensive just don't tell them you're taking it on a long trip to pull a boat... as for less than an hour i don't see why your murano wouldn't pull it... best friend pulled a '93 PS 205 full eof clothes and furniture w/ a '01 jeep wrangler w/ 4" of lift and 33" tires on it 3 hrs from our hometown to oxford MS to school... ANYthing is possible w/ that kid... he watched what he was doing and didn't go fast and he was good

ORX-1
04-17-2008, 01:26 PM
If you rent a truck don't tell them that you are towing with it... Most places won't allow that. But you can't not use your boat this year! Get one of your friends to tow it for you and they let them ride for free! great deal for both parties.

VOLFAN
04-17-2008, 01:48 PM
I am just talking about pulling it to CSM. I keep it at the lake on a lift.

My concern was at pulling it that distance.

Again thank for all the advice. Sham and I will team up this year in his boat. Next year we will bring mine.

moleson10
04-17-2008, 04:38 PM
Volfan,

I had an 06 toyata rav4 v6 which has the identical tow specs and roughly the same power (a bit more than murano I believe @ 269hp) but a bit lighter in weight (rav = 3700 lbs). For one season I used it to pull my 06 197 which is similar, but probably a bit lighter than the x2. I used it 3 or 4 times to pull the boat 170 miles each way over the cascade mountains (3000-4000 ft) and many local trips.

Bottom line, it did it. Power was never an issue, in fact it wasn't even working very hard. But, you could tell driving it, that it was more weight than the vehicle could handle safely in extreme circumstances. I eventually sold it and that was one of the reasons but if I had to, I would do it again. If you're super safety minded or have a car load of people, don't consider it. If it's temporary and just you in the car, you can get by.

BTW, the rav had a class III hitch. I would not do it with a class II.

phecksel
04-18-2008, 12:51 PM
BTW, the rav had a class III hitch. I would not do it with a class II.

It exceeds Class II standards, which is a dangerous thing.

Towing near or at capacity is never comfortable. I towed an X45, ONCE, with an explorer, and it was tough. Bad part, had my wife tow it back to the dealer, and told her to just take it easy. She drove 55 the whole way, pulled into the dealers lot and they asked her to move it over there. She advised them, NFW, LOL.