PDA

View Full Version : Does anybody trick ski anymore?

Gonzo
04-16-2008, 02:00 PM
I just thought I would ask. I did on the college team but only because I had to... I really hated those things but loved watching folks who knew what they were doing. I havent been on one since.

scottkirbysavage
04-16-2008, 02:08 PM
Howdy,
I bought a pair of Obrien's about 2 years ago. I ski on them everytime we get out. I am mainly into hydrofoiling now, so I dont use them as much as I like. Hell of alot of fun though!

trickskier
04-16-2008, 02:41 PM
I do but I am not as good as I used to be. Too old & fat to do toe turns like I use too..............;)

88 PS190
04-16-2008, 02:44 PM
I have one, and like most people I royally suck at it.

Trick skiing seemed to have almost died, but recently I think the image is improving. I think that when wakeboarding really took off, alot of individuals who would have been good trick skiers took to wakeboarding for the scene, the boat full of friends, boardshorts, and cool equipment.

While the trick skier on the lake was some old dude with his tackle hanging out of short spandex shorts, or some other similar horrific image.

Some of the younger guys now you couldn't tell them apart from wakeboarders unless they were on the water, I suppose you get that side of it improved so its atleast not unheard of and you'll get more people trying to learn it.

But man its hard to do anything on that.

76S&S
04-16-2008, 02:50 PM
Not since I got out of three event competitions.................20+ years ago.

wakeX2wake
04-16-2008, 02:55 PM
100x harder than wakeboarding and i'm not exactly the world's greatest athlete... i'm sticking to wakeboarding b/c it's a faster return on your time spent working on stuff... tricking is WWWAAAYYY more technical and fast paced and to be honest is more impressive to watch b/c everything is so quick...

to the general public wakeboarding is sexier b/c as previously mentioned the boat, the boat full of friends, the image (which i don't get too into i wear MC t-shirts or a polo shirt and a worn out AU baseball cap), and the cool gear. Also i'd have to throw in that it might look more impressive to the general public b/c it higher and they can follow what the rider is doing easier... never seen an 'O' trick done on a wakeboard and doubt i ever do...

etakk7
04-16-2008, 02:56 PM
I haven't been around the game for all that long, but one of my buddies was doing it one day. I found it to be incredibly boring to watch and time consuming because he was falling every time he tried to turn around. Maybe wakeboarding is too stimulating to go back to the older stuff, at least for me.

pilot02
04-16-2008, 02:57 PM
YES!!
I'm better on the slalom trick than 2, but I found that I slalom ski in the course MUCH better when I play on the trick pair on a regular basis..
They give you a great sense of balance and give you're legs a workout which I've found to really benefit me even when I'm going to the gym on a regular basis.. Kinda like free weights do vs. machines.

M-Funf
04-16-2008, 03:00 PM
I trick skied in college as well. Three events. I wasn't very good at it, but had to do it.

I had my trick ski(s) up until I sold my last boat. They were up under the bow and I forgot to pull them out. When I called and asked about them, the new owner said he didn't find them :mad:

Ah well...I probably wouldn't use them again anyway...

Hollywood
04-16-2008, 03:09 PM
Just like slalom skiing, you need to be proficient on 2 trick skis first or it'll take forever to progress and won't be any fun. My first WI run of the year on Saturday was on 2 trick skis!

trickskier
04-16-2008, 03:13 PM
And I can still foot too................;)

Upper Michigan Prostar190
04-16-2008, 03:14 PM
you should ask Trickskier, I think he trickskis.

trickskier
04-16-2008, 03:18 PM
you should ask Trickskier, I think he trickskis.
As usual, you're a day late & a dollar short.............. 33731

Gonzo
04-16-2008, 03:24 PM
Easy on the shorts, I still wear my birdies when I ski. For durability, freedom of movement and (most importantly) at my age I dont need the xtra drag out of the hole.

trickskier
04-16-2008, 03:27 PM
Easy on the shorts, I still wear my birdies when I ski. For durability, freedom of movement and (most importantly) at my age I dont need the xtra drag out of the hole.
LOL...................... 33732

uawaterskier
04-16-2008, 03:29 PM
I trick ski every day of the week that I can

wakeX2wake
04-16-2008, 03:31 PM
which is excactly why i still rock my banana hammock... sometimes i put on my short when i'm in the boat... i'm getting an american flag speedo for the 4th of july this year

Gonzo
04-16-2008, 03:34 PM
which is excactly why i still rock my banana hammock... sometimes i put on my short when i'm in the boat... i'm getting an american flag speedo for the 4th of july this year

LOL, Theyre not quite that short :banana: .... where the speedo smiley anyhow?

ProTour X9
04-16-2008, 04:11 PM
I learned to trick ski last year, yes very hard to do. My sister trickskis once maybe twice a year and can do 180s every time.

Somehow I imagine MariStar 210 will ring into this thread.

barefoot
04-16-2008, 04:18 PM
I don't own a pair of tricks, but if someone has them, I'll definitely put them on for a pull or two. I'm no good...I can do all the basic tricks and that's about it. The one thing I like is that the falls are a lot softer!

SkiDog
04-16-2008, 04:27 PM
wakeTN does trick skiing on Trick's platform!:D :D :D

trickskier
04-16-2008, 04:31 PM
wakeTN does trick skiing on Trick's platform!:D :D :D
Without trickski's I might add!!!

uawaterskier
04-16-2008, 04:35 PM
we play trickski horse sometimes...its a lot of fun. Get 2 people on tricks and go back and for matching tricks

Cloaked
04-16-2008, 07:00 PM
Tricks are for kids. Wake 180.

Jim@BAWS
04-16-2008, 07:06 PM
I do but I am not as good as I used to be. Too old & fat to do toe turns like I use too..............;)

Are you a TRICKSKIER or a SWIVEL SKIER ??? That is the question.

HA HA HA

Jim@BAWS

TOE TURNS...you sound like a filler act is a SKISHOW....let the water calm down and give the jumpers and barefooters some time to rest

HA HA HA

uawaterskier
04-16-2008, 07:31 PM
Tricks are for kids. Wake 180.
good golly batman that is a lot of air. I guess the judges never doubt that you get air under the ski lol

Bruce
04-16-2008, 07:56 PM
When I was younger we turned some tricks oops wrong thread!

sethro
04-16-2008, 08:22 PM
I trick just about every time out on the water. I ski with some very good trick skiers (some past and present record holders for their ages) and that helps quite a bit.

It really is a lot of fun, though takes quite a bit of practice and dedication.

Slinkyredfoot
04-16-2008, 10:36 PM
I did and still do to an extent..still have the origianla pair of Larry Penacho's (so) I learned on and break them out at least once a summer..

This pair are made of two beautiful sides of mahogany with a wide strip of white ash right down the middle..

I will post pics of these skis when I get to the lake in a week or so....These old trick skis are beautiful...thanks for making me think about this trick skiing...

Lennyp04
04-16-2008, 10:41 PM
There is a man across the lake from me that has a boat of another brand that can not be mentioned on this glorious site who tricks! And hes pretty good

trickskier
04-16-2008, 10:59 PM
Are you a TRICKSKIER or a SWIVEL SKIER ??? That is the question.

HA HA HA

Jim@BAWS

TOE TURNS...you sound like a filler act is a SKISHOW....let the water calm down and give the jumpers and barefooters some time to rest

HA HA HA
LOL.........Hey Jim................ 33749

uawaterskier
04-16-2008, 11:13 PM
its me and you versus the world

chrisbank
04-17-2008, 01:19 PM
We still trick ski quite often -
It's a nice way to slow things down and relax a bit after slalom/wakeboarding and barefooting....

Man, summer is way too short!!!

trickskier
04-17-2008, 01:30 PM
its me and you versus the world
I may be a Gator, but I've got your back on this one!!! :D