PDA

View Full Version : New Boy

Ry's 84
04-16-2008, 01:38 AM
So I'm nwe to the sight just found it tonight while trying to locate new upholstery for my 84 stars and stripes. havent really figured out navgating the sight yet but loved looking at dichdocs restoration os his old stars and stripes. Anyway i could really use some help finding upholstery for my 84 so if anyone has any suggetions i would love to know about them.

if i get some replies i will get more infor of myself and my boats story along with some pics.

coz
04-16-2008, 08:24 AM
I'll bet if you started with the story and pics you'll get a better response. BTW: Welcome aboard.

wakeX2wake
04-16-2008, 10:17 AM
welcome aboard... looking forward to the results of the resto-... ^^^ what he said... there's a ton of EXTREMELY knowledgable folks on here

454Prostar190
04-16-2008, 10:59 AM
welcome aboard... looking forward to the results of the resto-... ^^^ what he said... there's a ton of EXTREMELY knowledgable folks on here

And...the people here love to help! I've been a member for about a year and have learned more about my boat than I ever knew! I've even learned some things that I wish I hadn't! :( Just kidding! Welcome aboard! Rick

flipper
04-16-2008, 11:01 AM
Welcome....you'll find whatever you want to know here.

TMCNo1
04-16-2008, 12:23 PM
Welcome! This guy in this post may be of some help, http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showpost.php?p=176680&postcount=
The colors and patterns for as old of a boat as you have may not be available today, but I'll bet most any local upholstery shop that does boats can get close.
Also, this thread, http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=5427, it has several tutirials and may have answers to other questions that may arise and it's stickied to the top of "General Discussion", otherwise, just ask away, someone will respond.

Ry's 84
04-16-2008, 01:29 PM
I'll get you guys pics on here today if i can figure everything out aright, shouldn't be a problem.

The sotry is a good one but fairly long and i'll post that tonight as well. I'm glad i found this place but how do you know were to post. I just picked the upholstery forum because I need upholstery which I think is going to prove to be a real challange.

M-Funf
04-16-2008, 02:03 PM
Welcome!

General Discussions is for most stuff that's not specific to one area. I agree with NO1 that you probably won't find skins for your boat, but a good shop should be able to make some.

You in Nor Cal or So Cal???

wakeX2wake
04-16-2008, 02:12 PM
there's tons of pics on here... you should be able to find some of your model boat... it will probably cost a bit but i would take the hull and some pics to an upholstery shop and have them measure or whatever and design your own interior... it will probably be cheaper that way and end up just as good since you're not matching to OEM (like i did this year already... to the tune of $320 for 1 seat)... if you want it to look original like i said i'd find some pics and match to that if not then design your own scheme w/ the upholstery shop... one day when i find my s&s resto- project i'm going to design my own interior w/ some different tweaks (honestly some rip-offs from x-series stuff) that i think will end up looking sweet

Ry's 84
04-16-2008, 02:37 PM
I'm in central Cali at a lake called Nacimiento also refered to as the Dragon becaues of the shape of the lake, I'll post that as well soon so you can see the lake. I have lived here my entire life.

Regarding the new skins, i took it to a local upholstry shop and they guy said $3500 maybe $4000, I thought he was out of his damn mind so I becan looking for the do it yourself kit, it's upholstry I thnk I could handle it for that kind of money.

M-Funf
04-16-2008, 02:39 PM
I went to Cal Poly, and was on their ski team. We ski'd Naci 3 days a week. Great place.

Sodar
04-16-2008, 02:45 PM
You been up to the lake recently? Whats the story on the water level? I heard they are draining it for dam repairs is that true? I have reservations at the resort for next month, but am thinking about cancelling.

M-Funf
04-16-2008, 02:52 PM
Looks pretty good to me...

http://www.nacimientoresort.com/resort.jpg

Sodar
04-16-2008, 03:00 PM
Looks pretty good to me...

http://www.nacimientoresort.com/resort.jpg

Last year at this time it was at 794+

flipper
04-16-2008, 03:07 PM
as close as it is, I've only been there once....a long time ago. Nice lake though.

dog paw
04-16-2008, 03:24 PM
I had my 84 S+S redone well over 10 years ago and the shop had to "make up" skins. Cost about half of what that place quoted you. They had a tough time finding material back then.

454Prostar190
04-16-2008, 04:57 PM
[QUOTE=Ry's 84]I'm in central Cali at a lake called Nacimiento also refered to as the Dragon becaues of the shape of the lake, I'll post that as well soon so you can see the lake. I have lived here my entire life.

I have a sister in law that works at Lake Nacimiento Rentals or something like that. Went there for a wedding a couple of years ago and it was beautiful! Rick

Ry's 84
04-16-2008, 05:10 PM
For those of you intersted in the lake...

Here are the facts I have received as a member of the Monterey County Water Resources Reservoir Operations Committee.

The current project underway at the Nacimiento Dam is the San Luis County pipeline project. It is expected to take two years to complete. There will be no additional water releases required for this project is what I'm told.

The second project, Salinas Valley Water Project, requires a spillway modification. This project is scheduled to start sometime this Spring. The predicted time to complete this project is also two years. The Monterey County Water Resources Agency has told me that the plan is that the lake can be at elevation 770-765 feet above sea level maximum during the project. The elevation as of 1 hour ago was 749' asl. They will continue to make releases during the Summer months as always. Where the levels have to be going into next winter -- who knows?

However, most lake users do not realize that until the spillway modification is complete, there is flood rule curve that has to be followed. If it is not followed, the Agency could be fined. For the month of January, the lake can be no higher the elevation 777' asl. February it starts ramping up to 781' asl, March 798' asl, then 800' asl is full. It unknown if the Agency will let it rise above 770 this winter or not.

If the lake is kept at or starts the season off at 770' asl, the lake has 4,289 surface acres and is 16.2 miles long. My feeling, when the lake is at that elevation, is a good one. The lake is still huge; there are some nice day beaches as well as extra vehicle parking. When the lake is full, there are none of those for most of the summer. Additionally, I have had a lot of residents ask me about the spillway modification. For example, are they raising the dam, widening the dam, and are they closing the road?

The spillway modification work that will be done is as follows. The top twelve feet of the high level spillway will be removed and replaced with an inflatable gate, so to speak. This will allow the dam to sustain a probable maximum flood by releasing more water out of the dam then can come into the lake. Right now it can't, and that is why there is the flood rule curve to keep that safety space in the lake during the winter months. Then the abutment walls on the sides have to be made thicker and taller. Then the flip bucket at the bottom of the spillway will be modified as well. The Agency is also predicting that the road will only be closed down to one lane most of the time, so it will be open.

Sodar
04-16-2008, 05:19 PM
For those of you intersted in the lake...

Here are the facts I have received as a member of the Monterey County Water Resources Reservoir Operations Committee.

The current project underway at the Nacimiento Dam is the San Luis County pipeline project. It is expected to take two years to complete. There will be no additional water releases required for this project is what I'm told.

The second project, Salinas Valley Water Project, requires a spillway modification. This project is scheduled to start sometime this Spring. The predicted time to complete this project is also two years. The Monterey County Water Resources Agency has told me that the plan is that the lake can be at elevation 770-765 feet above sea level maximum during the project. The elevation as of 1 hour ago was 749' asl. They will continue to make releases during the Summer months as always. Where the levels have to be going into next winter -- who knows?

However, most lake users do not realize that until the spillway modification is complete, there is flood rule curve that has to be followed. If it is not followed, the Agency could be fined. For the month of January, the lake can be no higher the elevation 777' asl. February it starts ramping up to 781' asl, March 798' asl, then 800' asl is full. It unknown if the Agency will let it rise above 770 this winter or not.

If the lake is kept at or starts the season off at 770' asl, the lake has 4,289 surface acres and is 16.2 miles long. My feeling, when the lake is at that elevation, is a good one. The lake is still huge; there are some nice day beaches as well as extra vehicle parking. When the lake is full, there are none of those for most of the summer. Additionally, I have had a lot of residents ask me about the spillway modification. For example, are they raising the dam, widening the dam, and are they closing the road?

The spillway modification work that will be done is as follows. The top twelve feet of the high level spillway will be removed and replaced with an inflatable gate, so to speak. This will allow the dam to sustain a probable maximum flood by releasing more water out of the dam then can come into the lake. Right now it can't, and that is why there is the flood rule curve to keep that safety space in the lake during the winter months. Then the abutment walls on the sides have to be made thicker and taller. Then the flip bucket at the bottom of the spillway will be modified as well. The Agency is also predicting that the road will only be closed down to one lane most of the time, so it will be open.

Very cool... its like being on the inside!

Welcome to the board and maybe sometime we can grab a beer up at Naci!

Ry's 84
04-16-2008, 05:23 PM
So as not to confuse anyone this e-mail is one I received in january updating me. I am not currently on the water board and the lakes current level is actually about 770 so it is higher than it was at that time and they will only drain it to 768 so i am told.

I also own a small winery called Nacimiento Cellars if anyone like wine, and i love to get together for beers eey change i get.

It takes a lot of beer to make great wine!

I'll get thoes pics of my 84 up tonight.