PDA

View Full Version : Charging problem with 04 X2

taylormade
04-15-2008, 10:37 PM
Hi there, first time/long time. I'm having a small problem with my electrical charging system and was wondering if someone could help. My volt meter on my dash is showing 12-13 volts instead of it's typical 14. I've scraped the terminals off of both batteries (Perko and negative terminal on the block too) but it's not charging anymore than 12.5V at idle. When I give it some gas it'll go up to 13, but never more than that. If I idle for more than 2 minutes, the battery alarm comes on. I've checked the voltage coming off the alternator leads while the boat's running and it's only putting out 12.8V. I know it sounds like an alternator problem, but is there any chance that I'm missing something else? Thanks in advance.

boofer
04-16-2008, 12:34 AM
The only other thing I would check out is the battery. You can take it to just about any auto parts place for a free check. If it is not the battery, you can remove the alternator and take it to a auto parts place for an exam.

rspiecha
04-16-2008, 03:25 AM
How about putting one of those hand held charging/battery tester on the battery and see what is going on. Even some of the newer battery chargers will have test for the operation of alternator.

Rob