PDA

View Full Version : PLEASE HELP THE NOOB to buy

Spence
04-15-2008, 07:32 PM
I've been looking at a few different used (10+ years) open bow Mastercraft models to purchase. The 205's seem to be the way to go, but I have come across a 1990 TriStar for sale.

What are the pros and cons of buying a TriStar? Are they generally considered a solid model from MC?

I would be looking to purchase a tower for the boat. Any particular suggestions of what brand?

Is the wake going to be at all sufficient for amateur wakeboarding and if not, what are the best options for aftermarket fat sacs and is there room in a TriStar?

Any other advice or suggestions are greatly appreciated to help this noob get an MC for summer fun...

Thanks.

SkiDog
04-15-2008, 08:44 PM
Where in the southeast are you? Tri-stars are great boats, but I would lean toward the 205. Here's a pics of a friends 89 tristar that he's refurbing!

Covi
04-15-2008, 08:50 PM
Where in the southeast are you? Tri-stars are great boats, but I would lean toward the 205. Here's a pics of a friends 89 tristar that he's refurbing!

The 89' tristar has always been an appealing boat. Nice lines and goes through the water nice. Not bad of a slalom wake either.

Spence
04-15-2008, 08:56 PM
In Atlanta...

The Prostars are nice but the open bows get gobbled up right as they hit the market and its hard to find them for sale...seems sometimes a dealer will get one and jack the price way up but overall it seems tough to find the 205's...

That 89 is NICE!

SchuyHigh
04-15-2008, 10:55 PM
Dont know what you are looking to spend, but I hear Sham has a very nice 205 in Nashville.....thats close to home.

coz
04-15-2008, 11:22 PM
I've been looking at a few different used (10+ years) open bow Mastercraft models to purchase. The 205's seem to be the way to go, but I have come across a 1990 TriStar for sale.

What are the pros and cons of buying a TriStar? Are they generally considered a solid model from MC?

I would be looking to purchase a tower for the boat. Any particular suggestions of what brand?

Is the wake going to be at all sufficient for amateur wakeboarding and if not, what are the best options for aftermarket fat sacs and is there room in a TriStar?

Any other advice or suggestions are greatly appreciated to help this noob get an MC for summer fun...

Thanks.

Here's a couple on Atlanta craigslist

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/boa/620358579.html

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/boa/612947986.html

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/boa/609037260.html

I kinda favor the 205 too :D

Lennyp04
04-15-2008, 11:28 PM
its been said that the 205 is the best all around hull. We have a 07 x1 which is a 205v and the wakeboard wake is rated at one of the best in the industry becuase it is the original xstar whihc was the first boat used to land a 1080. The ski wake will have a hump but the wakeboard wake, when properly weighted is phenominal....I know I love it!

JohnE
04-15-2008, 11:34 PM
I had an '89 tristar 190 that I sold last year. I'd go with a 205 if given the choice between that and the tri. I had no complaints with the tristar, but from everything I read, the 205 dd will do everything a little better. If you are comparing the tristar to a 205V, then you need to decide if boarding or skiing are what you would prefer your boat to excell at. Although it might even be argued that the 205V ski's as well as the tristar.

Rich_G
04-16-2008, 04:08 PM

Wow, I've never seen a tower with that much front to back span. Seems like overkill and it would interfere with side access. Is it custom?

That's a really pretty boat and nice color scheme btw.

ProTour X9
04-16-2008, 04:18 PM
Tri-stars are great boats

Not from what I heard.:o :confused:

russlars
04-16-2008, 04:30 PM
I can't tell you about the tristar, however, I can tell you that a Direct Drive 205 is a great all around boat for skiing, boarding or barefooting. After I purchased my '99 I added a 2003 or 2004 MC zero flex tower that was a direct bolt on perfect fit with no modifications to the existing hull. The tower makes it a complete versatile package. :)

Cloaked
04-16-2008, 07:04 PM
In Atlanta...

...seems sometimes a dealer will get one and jack the price way up but overall it seems tough to find the 205's...

I am in boat salvage and recycling. I too jack the price of a trashed out Tri.... $3500 and I'll do any boat within 500 miles.

Nice looking machine, that 89 MC-Tri.

I'd lean toward the DD 205, just as personal prefence.

damaged442
04-16-2008, 09:07 PM
I think the Tristar is a decent overall boat. If you end up with an open bow, be careful burying the nose. You will get a bit of water in the boat. The wake will be OK for the amateur boarder. It has a nice lip in the 18-22 mph range. My bud throws back rolls behind mine with just me in the boat and no fat sacks. The wake gets much nicer when you stack in six more people, once again, careful with the burying the nose thing... If you want a huge wake, this probably isn't the boat. It works for me though. I also like the occasional slalom run, and it isn't too shabby there either. The 351 is a solid engine too. Good luck with your decision.

Spence
04-16-2008, 10:32 PM
I think the Tristar is a decent overall boat. If you end up with an open bow, be careful burying the nose. You will get a bit of water in the boat. The wake will be OK for the amateur boarder. It has a nice lip in the 18-22 mph range. My bud throws back rolls behind mine with just me in the boat and no fat sacks. The wake gets much nicer when you stack in six more people, once again, careful with the burying the nose thing... If you want a huge wake, this probably isn't the boat. It works for me though. I also like the occasional slalom run, and it isn't too shabby there either. The 351 is a solid engine too. Good luck with your decision.

So the 351 fires up pretty easy every season?

When and how often does the nose get swamped? Just when you have a boat full of people? Is it pretty much unavoidable when you have lots of weight in the boat?

Thanks.

damaged442
04-16-2008, 11:29 PM
Mine fires up with no problem!

The nose gets swamped when you aren't paying enough attention. Watch the wakes when you turn around to pick up your boarder or skier. It is definitely avoidable, just watch what you're doin and it won't be a problem.

Cloaked
04-17-2008, 12:14 AM
So the 351 fires up pretty easy every season?

When and how often does the nose get swamped? Just when you have a boat full of people? Is it pretty much unavoidable when you have lots of weight in the boat?

Thanks.
An electronic ignition will fire everytime. No problems. Best conversion kit I have ever spent money on (in several older boats).

The open bow will take on water where a closed won't (obviously) (unless it comes over the windshield for a lap dance). You will nose the boat with the extra weight in the front, unless indeed that you are aware of this when the water is rough, caps are up, or a roller is coming your way. Just keep the boat slightly accelerated, moving forward, and keep the nose up a bit. No big deal.

wakeX2wake
04-17-2008, 11:27 AM
see my signature... extremely clean boat and runs great... slalomns good and wakeboards well... really good w/ ballast... big boat w/ plenty of room... not tryting to "sell" but "inform"... decent price we're still losing huge but the price is fair i think... pm if interested