PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Pump Install

SPLIFF
04-15-2008, 05:38 PM
It Would Not Let Me Post My Pictures. I Am Going To Install New Fuel Pump On A 1995 205 Prostar 350. The Fuel Pump Is About Six Inches Long Cyclinder Shaped About One Inch Wide, With 3 Connection One At The Top For The Fuel Filter And 2 On The Bottom 1 Coming Straight Down And The Other Coming Out Of The Straight One At A Angle.my Problem Is I Took The Old One Off Before I Got The New One And I Forgot How The Two Gas Hoses Connect Back. My Question Is Is It Possible To Hook Up Fuel Intake And Return Backwards? And Which Is The Intake And Which One Is The Return?i Will Try To Post Pictures Tomorrow. And One More Stupid Question On The Tank Where The Two Gas Hoses Are Located One Hose Has A Cutoff Lever And Other Is Painted Red Where The Hose Connects Which One Does The Gas Flow Out Of And Which One Does It Return On. Thanks And Sorry For The Long Thread.

jimmer2880
04-16-2008, 07:36 PM
I have a '95 PS190, but they should be the same.

If I remember correctly, the one with the check-valve/cut-off lever is the supply and the other is the return.

To answer your other question, yes, you can hook it up backwards. You should trace the line to be sure you get the correct line on the correct pump. If I remember Correctly, at the bottom of the pump, 1 line comes straight in, the other comes in at a 90deg angle. The straight line is the feed, the 90 is the return.

good luck. Be sure to turn your ignition off & on a couple times when you get the new pump on to prime it.

Also - when you take your old pump off, remove the compression fitting of the feed line and look inside the pump for a screen. On mine, it got clogged several times before I finally put an in-line filter on the fuel-line before the pump.

I say this, because your pump may not actually be bad, just clogged.

bigmac
04-16-2008, 10:35 PM
It Would Not Let Me Post My Pictures. I Am Going To Install New Fuel Pump On A 1995 205 Prostar 350. The Fuel Pump Is About Six Inches Long Cyclinder Shaped About One Inch Wide, With 3 Connection One At The Top For The Fuel Filter And 2 On The Bottom 1 Coming Straight Down And The Other Coming Out Of The Straight One At A Angle.my Problem Is I Took The Old One Off Before I Got The New One And I Forgot How The Two Gas Hoses Connect Back. My Question Is Is It Possible To Hook Up Fuel Intake And Return Backwards? And Which Is The Intake And Which One Is The Return?i Will Try To Post Pictures Tomorrow. And One More Stupid Question On The Tank Where The Two Gas Hoses Are Located One Hose Has A Cutoff Lever And Other Is Painted Red Where The Hose Connects Which One Does The Gas Flow Out Of And Which One Does It Return On. Thanks And Sorry For The Long Thread.

How did you manage to capitalize only the first letter of each word in your post? Very odd, and pretty distracting.

No offense meant, just an observation.

The medium is the message...

Marshall McLuhan

SPLIFF
04-17-2008, 12:53 PM
I have a '95 PS190, but they should be the same.

If I remember correctly, the one with the check-valve/cut-off lever is the supply and the other is the return.

To answer your other question, yes, you can hook it up backwards. You should trace the line to be sure you get the correct line on the correct pump. If I remember Correctly, at the bottom of the pump, 1 line comes straight in, the other comes in at a 90deg angle. The straight line is the feed, the 90 is the return.

good luck. Be sure to turn your ignition off & on a couple times when you get the new pump on to prime it.

Also - when you take your old pump off, remove the compression fitting of the feed line and look inside the pump for a screen. On mine, it got clogged several times before I finally put an in-line filter on the fuel-line before the pump.

I say this, because your pump may not actually be bad, just clogged.
thanks jimmer2880 for the help i did have it backwards now i have it the correct way the fuel is pumping to the filter, but is not coming out of the injectors very good, i guess my next step is try to clean them. the boat was sitting in a yard with no cover for four years before i got it, and i am learning as i go.

SPLIFF
04-17-2008, 01:04 PM
How did you manage to capitalize only the first letter of each word in your post? Very odd, and pretty distracting.

No offense meant, just an observation.

The medium is the message...

Marshall McLuhan
i really have no idea how i was capitalizing the first letter of every word when i was typing it was doing it automatically next time i will try to get it off that setting

jimmer2880
04-18-2008, 08:14 PM
Since it was setting that long, did you try letting a gallon, or so of fuel run through the rubber line before you hooked it up?

Was there any trash in the screen of your old fuel-pump? Remember, you need to pull that compression fitting off of the pump to see the screen. If it was sitting that long, I wouldn't be surprised if there is a ton of garbage from the fuel going bad in your rubber lines, that already clogged up your new fuel-pump's screen.

SPLIFF
04-21-2008, 12:53 PM
Since it was setting that long, did you try letting a gallon, or so of fuel run through the rubber line before you hooked it up?

Was there any trash in the screen of your old fuel-pump? Remember, you need to pull that compression fitting off of the pump to see the screen. If it was sitting that long, I wouldn't be surprised if there is a ton of garbage from the fuel going bad in your rubber lines, that already clogged up your new fuel-pump's screen.
thanks for the tip i will do that i really do not want to buy another pump.

jimmer2880
04-21-2008, 07:47 PM
thanks for the tip i will do that i really do not want to buy another pump.

I ended up with a "spare" pump because I didn't know about the screen when I replaced mine the first time. I had an aweful amt of garbage in my fuel lines for a season. I ended up cleaning it a couple of times that summer. Thank goodness it's not a very hard job after you've done it once.

JMann
08-13-2010, 05:00 PM
I'm on the phone with a friend now who 95 205 with the chevy 350 won't start after 2 years off.
It turns over but won't start. He has by passed the kill switch but says the wire is getting hot. He hears a pop behind the dash and the gauges stop working. He turns the key off and on and the gauges come back on.

Any advice would help. He is currently checking out the fuel pump.