PDA

View Full Version : i-pod contol

ps205
04-15-2008, 04:20 PM
Hi Guys,

I am sorry if this has been cover on this board before, but I will ask it anyway.

I have a 2000 Pro Star 195 with the factory Carion M5475 head unit. The current set up has a disk changer attached to it. Is there an I-pod contoller that I can swap out in place of the disk changer?

Thanks for any help.

wakeX2wake
04-15-2008, 04:38 PM
no... disk changer remote is most likely wired as a remote to your head unit... there are several products out there that you can use however...

Clarion IPod Interface (http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?Source=googlebase&ProductID=17441) is one of the easiest w/ the clarion system but i didn't like the functionality of it... there are several bluetooth products out there that will work... that's my :twocents:

wakeX2wake
04-15-2008, 04:42 PM
i think i'm going w/ the wireless bluetooth device b/c you can't improve the functionability of the interface on the iPod i don't think... if you can i haven't seen a mp3 player w/a better user interface

Chas
04-15-2008, 05:33 PM
Does the Bluetooth charge the Ipod? For long days on the water, that can be an issue.

I used to plug my Ipod into a cassette adapter (anyone remember cassettes?) but the sound quality was bad, and the Ipod would go dead by the evening if we spent all day out, and/or if I didn't fully charge the thing the night before. Oh, and we couldn't run it in the car on the way to the lake either or risk the battery dying. It was suggested that I simply buy a 12v charger for my Ipod, but I had hit my limit of extra wires, chargers, junk in the boat and car!! I wanted it to charge and play on one connection, and I needed to update from cassette anyway.

I finally bought a new stereo with an adapter. It not only charges the Ipod (now Iphone), it also puts the song info on the face of the stereo, and I could run a remote if I wanted to add one. For me, this is the best because I can wrap up the Iphone and stuff it into the glove box, where we ran the wire. That way it stays out of sight and safe/dry. The stereo gives us good control, song info, and if I do decide to add a remote I will have control of the whole system from there as well.

Win win.
http://akamaipix.crutchfield.com/products/2005/541/h541PXDP-f_LDpms.gif

This place (http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Category/GroupMenu.aspx?search=ipod+adapter&osp=&g=770)sells everything you need and about a thousand things you don't.

wakeX2wake
04-15-2008, 05:37 PM
the clarion interface will charge the bluetooth will not... the clarion interface will plug in to your boat and you won't touch the iPod... the bluetooth will just have an adapter plugged into it and it will not charge... you have to wire in a power cable for the bluetooth too but it just gives you wireless ipod control w/ good audio quality

76S&S
04-15-2008, 06:29 PM
I recently put a Harmon Kardon Drive/Play in my boat. It charges the ipod and you can put the controler and display where you like. Haven't had a chance to use it yet but it was a simple install. I got mine on ebay for less than a buck plus shipping.

Didn't figure I could go wrong for the price.

russlars
04-15-2008, 06:42 PM
I recently put a Harmon Kardon Drive/Play in my boat. It charges the ipod and you can put the controler and display where you like. Haven't had a chance to use it yet but it was a simple install. I got mine on ebay for less than a buck plus shipping.

Didn't figure I could go wrong for the price.
How exactly does this thing work? Does it broadcast over an FM signal or is it hardwired to the existing stereo? Where in your boat did you install it?

76S&S
04-15-2008, 06:53 PM
Three different install options:
Broadcast over FM - supplied
Antenna adapter connection - basically hardwired through the antenna. - optional
Accessory connector - I think like a CD changer. Optional, I think?

The unit itself is installed behind the pass. seat next to the amp. I mounted the display on the dash left of the gauges and the controller (ipod wheel thingamagig) to the right of the dash.

nmcjr
04-15-2008, 07:11 PM
I pulled my 5475 out and replaced it with the m475 + the cenet ipod interface. (the 5475 does not accept cenet) It uses the same remote and wiring harness so installation was very easy, ~20 min. All in all the m475 seems good and the use of the same remote was a big plus for me. I have seen that others do not like the Ipod interface, and I agree it is a bit clunky, but for me I usually pick a playlist and leave it--you can use the remote to skip songs, mute etc, which is really all i need.

Jerseydave
04-15-2008, 08:12 PM
On my '05 X-star with Clarion head unit (factory, not sure of model #) I just purchased the adapter from Radio Shack with the red and white RCA ends on it, plugged it into the back of unit (aux) and ran the single I-pod connector wire through the bottom of my glove box drain hole.
Works great, just have to change tracks on the I-pod itself, no control from the head unit or remotes.

Adapter from Radio Shack...............$12 :D

lav
04-15-2008, 10:27 PM
H K drive and play $15 http://www.overstockdealz.com/products.asp?id=DP1US&referer=google

MCXSS
04-16-2008, 05:20 PM
There are 2 versions of the HK Drive/play. The newest is the HK Drive Play 2. That is why the original is selling at such as low price.

wakeX2wake
04-16-2008, 05:41 PM
has anyone tried the bluetooth iPod adapters to know what kind of sound quality it delivers... i've got bluetooth capabilities on my truck for my cell phone and it's good but i wouldn't want to blare it all over the lake... then again my cell phone is a piece too... comments? resources? info?