PDA

View Full Version : x-9 vs. x-7

Streak
04-15-2008, 03:49 PM
Can anyone give me a rundown on the ski-ability of the x-9 vs. the x-7. I am looking for a used ski/wakeboard mastercraft that I can ski first, then wakeboard second, ie. nice flat wakes, but a tower to board. Someone had once told me that the x-9 does not ski so well, so that's why I was more looking towards the x-7.
As well, are after market towers like New Dimension easy to install and sturdy for use.
Any info would be appreciated.

peason
04-15-2008, 04:01 PM
I have a 209 that is set up like an X-9. I am not a course skier and I find that the 209 skis pretty well. The wake is wider - simply because the X-9 is a wide boat. There is a pretty good hump @15 off. If you are wake boarding the wake is wider to jump as well - shortening the line length helps. I have had some pretty good riders behind the boat and they can do a lot with the wake that my 209 throws out. It is a family size boat that does everything we need well including barefooting.
The X-7 will be an outstanding slalom boat - that is what it was built for. As far as wakeboarding - I got to believe that it is not the best. I have slalom and barefooted behind an X-7 but never wakeboarded. There is not as much room in an X-7 and you do need to be more careful when picking up skiers that you do not get water over the bow- the same goes for the X-9, but not as severe.
The X-9 will also ride better in rough water due to the size and shape of the hull.
I would suggest you ski behind what ever boat you want to buy as part of the test drive. We wake board a lot more than I ever thought we would - so I am happy with the choice we made.

MCXSS
04-15-2008, 04:15 PM
I have an X-7 and find it to ski well. We also load it with 1600 lbs of fat saks and it makes a wake good enough to surf behind and good for beginner-intermediate wakeboarders. One note: the X-7 sits very low in the water. When adding weight you need to be very careful of your approach to waves and wakes to prevent them from coming into the boat. Also, the X-7 steers like it is on rails. I haven't found another boat that handles as well. It is pure pleasure do drive, even without anyone behind it.

Streak
04-17-2008, 06:20 PM
Can anyone give me some good info. Either buying an x-7 or x-9, would like to know how the 9 skis or is it more of a wakeboard boat. I am a skier mostly, but like to board from time to time. Like the 9 for the fact that it has more space, but am I going to be disappointed in the wake for the skiing - of course the 7 has the best wakes for skiing on the planet, but if the 9 is close to the 7, thinking I might be persuaded to pick up a 9.

Any thoughts....
Thanks all...

Sodar
04-17-2008, 06:27 PM
These threads have some useful info and opinions:

http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=4574

http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=7624

Sodar
04-17-2008, 06:31 PM
Merged....

BrianM
04-17-2008, 06:54 PM
Might want to consider the X14. Supposed to ski MUCH better than the X9 but still offer lots of room.

Edi: Oops. I see you are looking for used. Probably not going to find a used X14. May find a demo for a deal though.

moleson10
04-17-2008, 09:14 PM
I'm a skier but like to surf and board a bit. I put a mini tower on my 197 and it does pretty well with ballast. As mentioned, it's smaller and you've got to be careful with it as it will submarine it's own wake pretty good.

Can't help you with the skiability of the 209/X9. But, here's how I look at it. The 197/X7 is going to be really good at something. In the long run that counts for a lot. I've always regetted my compromises. Re-sale will also be better.

JohnE
04-17-2008, 10:14 PM
To decide what to buy, you need to define how descriminating you are with regard to the slalom wake. It's that simple. You won't get a better slalom wake than an X7 (unless you get a 197 or 190 without the weight of an X boat). But the X9 will offer a lot more room and a better boarding wake. FWIW, I recently switched from a 197 to an X14 and can say that the 197 offers very little room for anything other than skiing. Boating/ boarding is difficult.

Streak
04-17-2008, 10:17 PM
Thanks to all - great information - seems like x-9 has some hull issues, ie. early model (pre 2003) high speed porpoising, and wide / hard slalom wakes. Looks like I'm now leaning towards the x-7 (or 197 with a tower), but am a little concerned with the submarining issue with the lower riding nose of the x-7. Can anyone tell me if there is a drain or a way for the water to make it to the rear of the boat for the bilge to pump it overboard, or does this "boarded" water present a real problem...

Streak
04-17-2008, 10:20 PM
To decide what to buy, you need to define how descriminating you are with regard to the slalom wake. It's that simple. You won't get a better slalom wake than an X7 (unless you get a 197 or 190 without the weight of an X boat). But the X9 will offer a lot more room and a better boarding wake. FWIW, I recently switched from a 197 to an X14 and can say that the 197 offers very little room for anything other than skiing. Boating/ boarding is difficult.

How does your x-14 ski - I do love the seating arrangement... eventually, think I'd like to move into one...

OhioX14
04-17-2008, 11:32 PM
How does your x-14 ski - I do love the seating arrangement... eventually, think I'd like to move into one...

I realize you're not addressing me but I thought I would put my two cents in anyway.

We traded in an '06 X9 on our '08 X14 precisely because we were looking for a better slalom wake. We had the dealer put an X7 in the water at the same time as the X14 and we skied them back to back within 10 minutes of one another. The wakes at 34 - 36 MPH were so close to each other that it made our decision easy.

That said, your decision is probably going to come down to interior space vs. wake since you have stated that skiing is your primary sport. If you can, try to figure out how to ski both. If this is not possible, look at the X7 and see if you can live with the space, because if you can, you'll love the wake.

Good luck!

h2oskiier222
04-18-2008, 01:09 AM
I just bought an x7 and absolutly love it. There is a drain in the bow that drains into the bilge for the bilge pump to take care of.

moleson10
04-18-2008, 04:34 PM
Taking on water over the bow of an X7 is no big deal. Just alarming (and funny) to those not used to it. Most open bow boats have the same problem. The X7 is just a little worse because it rides very low in the water.

You do need to make sure you dry it out after. The water will get in the compartment under the spotter's seat so you need to remove your stuff and leave the seat up to let it dry out. Otherwise it will start to smell. Don't ask me how I know ;o)

And as mentioned before, with a 197/X7 you will have the best open bow slalom boat in the world, hands down, the best.

Sodar
04-18-2008, 05:28 PM
After a few times driving the boat, you will figure out how to avoid dunking the bow. Unless a real roller comes at you, that is completely unexpected, it can be avoided.

Ric
04-18-2008, 05:30 PM
Get the 197 . Here is one:D with a day left!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2005-MasterCraft-Prostar-197-Ski-Boat-Wakeboard-MCX-TWR_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ63686QQihZ004QQitem Z140224154808QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Sodar
04-18-2008, 05:36 PM
That is a gorgeous boat!

3 offers... wonder if any are close!

92 190 PS
04-18-2008, 05:38 PM
Streak I have the same concerns.

Room in the x-9 (brother has one) is second to none. Wake for wakeboarding is very good. Wake for skiing is much better than any other boat I've seen this size, but there is no question it's not a x-7. I have an 92 190 so we have my boat to slalom behind when we get the urge to get on a course, but we spend the day in his more often than not. I wouldn't hesitate to run the course on his boat with minimal weight on board though.....

If you're worried about submarining in the boat the x-9 isn't your answer either. Both boats will take water over the front if you're not under power and paying attention. Bottom line is you have to take everything into consideration and make the best decision for you and the family....Good luck..