PDA

View Full Version : For those intrested in aviation

gigem75
04-15-2008, 03:32 PM
Some might find this list interesting. This is a list of aircraft my Dad was checked out in:
PT-13,17, 19 Stearman
BT-2 Douglas
BT-13 Vultee
AT 6a 6c 6d 6f North American
AT-7 7B 7C
AT-11
AT12 Sercsky? two place P35
AT-23A Martin B-26
A10-A
T33A Lockheed
B17 C-D-E-F-G Boeing
B18 & B18A Douglas
B24 d h g j Consolidated
XB24j Consolidated (one of kind si\ngle tail)
B25 d h c j n North American
RB25 d
B26 F Martin
A26 C B Douglas
B29 XB29 YB29 B29A KB29 Boeing
LB30 British B24 Consolidated
B47 B E Boeing
B50A Boeing
B52 C D F G
A20B H G Douglas
SA 10A 10B Consolidated
L3b 3c Piper
L4a
L5 E Stinsion
C47 D A Douglas
C 74
VC 78 Cessna
C 82A Fairchild
T38 F5 northrop
F47D 47N Republic
F80 A B C Lockheed
F82E F North American
F84 B D E Republic
F86 A North American
KC-135A Boeing
KC97 Boeing
U3 B Cessna 310
YG18 A Curtis(glider)
F9 Boeing (B17 Photo)
YB 40 (B17 Gunship)
P38F 38 L Lockheed
PB4y-2 Consolidated (NAVY)
C45 F Beech
P51D N North American
C46 D Curtis
C54 D G M E Douglas
T39 A North American
Piper Cub
Piper Arrow
Aeronca Champ
Taylor ACraft
Luscombe
Fairchild Gullwing
Beech Bonanza
Baron
King Air
Piper Senaca
Piper Appache
Cessna 150 172 182 425 401 441
Lockheed |jetsatar
Citation S 2
Decalathon
Northrop A 17 & A
Martin B10 & B

point1234
04-15-2008, 03:35 PM
WOW that is a pretty impressive list.

Streak
04-15-2008, 03:39 PM
is your dad a pilot for an airline

dsoby
04-15-2008, 03:43 PM
Quite a list. He must have have quite a few hours.

oldriver
04-15-2008, 04:18 PM
Awesome,no easy task there.

Upper Michigan Prostar190
04-15-2008, 04:22 PM
I bet Gene wouldnt approve of this.

MYMC
04-15-2008, 04:39 PM
Awesome list...

VOLFAN
04-15-2008, 07:24 PM
I went to the air shown Smyrna, TN this weekend. That will make anyone want to fly!

Hrkdrivr
04-15-2008, 10:59 PM
How did he get checked out in all those?!? Test pilot?

gigem75
04-16-2008, 03:30 PM
Actually he's resting comfortably at Arlington now. He got around quite a bit and flew anything he could. My uncle who was a B-29 instructor in the Air Corps told me the old man picked him up in Dallas in a B-25 and after they took off he gave it to his brother who had never flown a B-25 but what the hell, they're all the same and he crawled up in the nose and slept off a hangover. They lost an engine over the Rockies around Denver and my uncle thought they should land there. He woke my dad up and he said "hell no they'll take my airplane away from me". They made it on to Dugway Proving Ground (google it). That's where he was flying P51's testing lobbing cannisters of mustard gas into caves in the sides of mountains in case we had to invade Japan. So guy namend Tibbits asked him if he wanted to join a mission, he asked what, said he couldn't tell him so he declined. He's already spent a year in the South Pacific on Guadalcanal flying B-17's. At one point he was in charge of a maintenace depot and had to check out every plane that they did maintenance on which is how the list got so long. He ended up his 30 flying B-52's for the flight pay and Deputy DO for Second Air Force.

puck_11
04-16-2008, 03:56 PM
Damn, thats cool! The glory days of aviation, a lot of our older sim instructors have a big list of aircraft flown, but not nearly as extensive as that. Nowadays, you'll probably only fly one fleet aircraft in your career. But they're so complicated now that it takes a long time to check out in an aircraft. Back in Chuck Yeager's day, a check out was more like a walk around of the a/c and a walk through of the checklist...unfortunately we lost too many aircraft that way.

trickskier
04-16-2008, 04:06 PM
Excellent story, thanks for sharing!!!
B-17 IMO the plane that WON World War II for us!!!

gigem75
04-16-2008, 04:46 PM
looks like a G model with the 50 cals on the tail, could be wrong and won't mind being corected. Speaking of Chuck Yeager, my Dad knew him and they were in gathered in a tent with a wood stove at Chanute sp? Field in the winter and it was damn cold. Yeager walks in the tent opens the door to the stove and throws a handful of 50cal rounds in. Needless to say the tent was evacuated with great speed while the stove basically selfdestructed. I always wondered if that was true or not but I never ever knew my old man to exagrate anything. I do know that they used to pull up sharply when releasing (practice of course) nuclear weapons from a B-47 and throw the device forward but it put so much strain on the airframe they had to give that up.

trickskier
04-16-2008, 04:59 PM
Ever been inside a B-17? They're not as big as they look. The tail gunner has to lay on his stomach and crawl back to the tail gun. You can't stand up to fire the side guns and there's a thin piece of wood in the bomb bay that goes from the cockpit to the main fuselage. Everything is METAL if you hit your head it's going to HURT!!!

KnoxX2
04-16-2008, 05:11 PM
Excellent story, thanks for sharing!!!
B-17 IMO the plane that WON World War II for us!!!

Thanks Rick we in the Air Force feel that way too.;) :D

gigem75
04-16-2008, 11:28 PM
I really think the 17 has a sentimental appeal and I won't argue that one bit cause I feel the same way. However from a techincal standpoint the B-24 carried a heavier bomb load, had greater range and was produced in greater numbers. I'll still go with the 17 though because before they switched to 24's in the South Pacific they had a couple of engines shot out or just plain quit and during a night bombing raid which most were there they ran into a thunderstorm and go lost and couldn't find Catus so they had to ditch. They swam to an island and were offered a ride in a canoe by some natives and he politley declined but they did pass on the info and were picked up by a PBY the next day. So if it had been a 24 I might not be here typing this story.

ogrover3
04-16-2008, 11:33 PM
impressive list! went to sun n fun last weekend and saw the usaf thunderbirds very awesome! just curious are there any other pilots here if so what do you fly? and what are your favorite destinations? just got my license a year ago a whole lot of fun. dad got his 2 years ago. he flys a piper cherokee 6 and i fly a cherokee 180.

Bruce
04-17-2008, 01:01 AM
In about 1947 I helped my dad rebuild a plane that had been cracked up. I think it was an E 2. Doping all that cloth had me high as a kite. When we finished he couldn't get an inspector to check it out so he flew it himself while the inspector observed from the ground. Went great until he landed and the gear collapsed.( The shocks looked like big bungee cords. ) I swung my leg and pulled that prop many times"Off and on". The first time he let me at the stick I was about 14. Never forget it. During the war he was at Bell aircraft and was the final electrical inspector on the B29's. He only had a 5th grade education. All of this brought back some great memories.

gigem75
04-17-2008, 09:59 AM
if it flys, floats, or f__ks it cheaper to rent it.
150 and 172's are where most of my time is. I don't really mess with it that much anymore. If you don'f fly at least 3 times a month min you will end up with wings attached to your shoulders.

MYMC
04-17-2008, 10:28 AM
impressive list! went to sun n fun last weekend and saw the usaf thunderbirds very awesome! just curious are there any other pilots here if so what do you fly? and what are your favorite destinations? just got my license a year ago a whole lot of fun. dad got his 2 years ago. he flys a piper cherokee 6 and i fly a cherokee 180.
I fly a little bit...:rolleyes:

Grover777
04-17-2008, 11:08 PM
Not a pilot, just a fan. Do any of you head to EAA during the summer? I went once in 1998 then have been back the last 2 years with my two boys. We camp with some friends and have a great guys trip.

We drove to Orlando for break last week and my sons wanted to shoot over to Sun n Fun, however due to our schedule, we could not make it. The Thunderbirds did several flybys over the Magic Kingdom while we were there. No matter how many times I see the Thunderbirds or Blue Angels, it still impresses the hell out of me. The Angels are flying in Peoria, Il this weekend. I have a tough decision on Sunday, after church, drive to Peoria and see the Angels, or take the MC out....decisions, decisions...

gigem75
04-17-2008, 11:14 PM
While in college I met a friend who had been in the Navy and was on the GI bill. He'd been on the ground crew for the Blue Angles back when they flew F-4's. He had a photograph of one of them landing at an air show. what made it interesting was the fact the gear was still up. Now that would be embarassing!

P-hat_in_Cincy
02-13-2009, 10:35 AM
You guys know about this site?

http://www.liveatc.net/feedmap/feedmap.html

You can use the map to select an airport and hear different Air Traffic Control feeds.

Sometimes it'll give you an error/unavailable message, but if you select it a few times it usually comes thru.

I'm listening to LAX now as it's pretty busy.

Witness140
02-13-2009, 10:40 AM
Here's the picture from the 1970 airshow in Cedar Rapids. Pilot was Lt. Ernie Christiansen. He ejected immediately after this photo.

shepherd
02-13-2009, 11:20 AM
You guys know about this site?

http://www.liveatc.net/feedmap/feedmap.html

You can use the map to select an airport and hear different Air Traffic Control feeds.

Sometimes it'll give you an error/unavailable message, but if you select it a few times it usually comes thru.

I'm listening to LAX now as it's pretty busy.

In the early 90s, I could see National Airport (D.C.) from my office window. I bought a little handheld vhf radio (receiver only) from Radio Shack and we could stand at the window and listen to National tower, approach and ground control. Me and a couple co-workers were taking flying lessons at the time so it really helped us get accustomed to radio communications. Cool stuff.

shepherd
02-13-2009, 11:20 AM
Here's the picture from the 1970 airshow in Cedar Rapids. Pilot was Ernie Christiansen. He ejected immediately after this photo.

Ouch! Career-ending landing?

JimN
02-13-2009, 12:36 PM
Not a pilot, just a fan. Do any of you head to EAA during the summer? I went once in 1998 then have been back the last 2 years with my two boys. We camp with some friends and have a great guys trip.

We drove to Orlando for break last week and my sons wanted to shoot over to Sun n Fun, however due to our schedule, we could not make it. The Thunderbirds did several flybys over the Magic Kingdom while we were there. No matter how many times I see the Thunderbirds or Blue Angels, it still impresses the hell out of me. The Angels are flying in Peoria, Il this weekend. I have a tough decision on Sunday, after church, drive to Peoria and see the Angels, or take the MC out....decisions, decisions...

The Thunderbirds will be back in MKE this summer. Hopefully, it'll be the same kind of show they put on in '05 and '06. B-17, P-51, Blue Angles and their support plane, trainers, bi-planes, A-10 and a lot of others, all flying over the city and Lake Michigan.

Witness140
02-13-2009, 02:09 PM
Ouch! Career-ending landing?

Doesn't sound like it. He went on to become the Captain of the USS Ranger later in his career, during the early 1990's, when it was involved in Desert Storm.

Maristar210
02-13-2009, 02:25 PM
Cool thread. Cool stories. We have some cool people in here, fer sure !!!

Bruce. Would love to have coffee with you sometime in a non gay way. :D