PDA

View Full Version : Replacement fuel filter 95 Prostar

Skipper
04-15-2008, 03:01 PM
Last weekend I began to prepare the boat for the season. I was removing the old fuel filter (between the fuel pump and the throttle body) when I noticed that the bottom of the fuel filter was bent downward almost 30 degrees. When I tried to install the replacement filter it did not want to fit. I ended up modifying the bends in the fuel lines above the filter in order to make it fit. Looking at the fuel lines, it appears as though the lower line (directly above the pump - leading to the filter) is too tall.

I bought this boat at the end of last ski season. I ordered the fuel filter from SKIDIM because the PN's matched. The filter that I removed appeared to have the bottom fitting bent downward when the bottom of the filter collapsed inward under pressure - not a factory elbow. Is there a different, shorter (or one with the fittings angled slightly) fuel filter that is supposed to be used (if so what PN?). Is it possible that one, or more, of the fuel lines was replaced with the incorrect line?

Any suggestions on how you would remedy this situation with your own craft?

peason
04-15-2008, 03:35 PM
You may want to call Skidim - they have a lot of experience and may be able to provide some insight.

BrianM
04-15-2008, 03:51 PM
Hmm. I just replace the one in my '97 with a replacement from DIM and it was a perfect fit. I wonder if somehow yours was bent while on the boat? Got a picture.

justinglow
04-15-2008, 05:32 PM
Brian do you know what the part number is for the filter after the tank? Does skidim carry it also?

BrianM
04-15-2008, 05:42 PM
Brian do you know what the part number is for the filter after the tank? Does skidim carry it also? This is the filter I used from DIM. It is actually a Napa filter and has the part number on the side. Took me 2 minutes to swap out. It holds a lot of fuel so you will spill a bit. The filter is at the passengers side rear of the engine almost at the top. http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=3481

Skipper
04-16-2008, 01:35 PM
Brian,

That is the same filter I have on my 95 Prostar. It mounts in the same location you described. But it certainly wasn't the two minute job it should have been.

jimmer2880
04-16-2008, 07:45 PM
That's the same filter that was on my '95 also. The PO had stripped the threads off of the fuel-line. After cleaning out the screen on my fuel pump (no filter between the tank & the pump), I decided to eliminate the filter between the pump & the TBI, since I needed to make a new hard-line anyway due to the stripped threads. I installed in in-line filter between the tank & the pump instead. I'm glad I did that. No more clogged fuel-pump screens :)

Skipper
04-17-2008, 03:38 PM
Did you just fabricate the line or did you purchase one? Part no?

jimmer2880
04-18-2008, 08:18 PM
Did you just fabricate the line or did you purchase one? Part no?

I tried to get a MC line, but was told that none were available. So, I asked my local MAC tool guy (a friend of mine), which local auto shop had the proper flaring tool for my fittings and took it there. that worked great, since I was then able to route it exactly where I wanted it routed.

Skipper
04-28-2008, 03:12 PM
... I installed in in-line filter between the tank & the pump instead. I'm glad I did that. No more clogged fuel-pump screens :)

What type of fuel filter do you install between the tank and the fuel pump? Is that line under pressure? Do you attach the filter with standard hose clamps?

jimmer2880
04-29-2008, 07:50 PM
Bill,

No, that line is under Suction, not pressure. Yes, it's attached with regular hose clamps. I dont' remember the NAPA number right now, but it's a standard, steel outside, in-line fuel filter.

Edit - I think it's this one, but I could be wrong....

http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=FRAG3870