PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Re-Paint

wsrobert
04-15-2008, 02:18 PM
Hey guys...currently I have a galvanized trailer for my '91 Maristar 240sc. I was wanting to re-paint it, but didn't know what my options are with the galvanized. Has anyone re-painted a galvanized trailer before? Just looking for some suggestions.

Thanks!

wakeX2wake
04-15-2008, 02:41 PM
someone here has to have re-painted a trailer... my guess would be strip and use a good primer vs just going over what's there... more costly but it'll be done right

TMCNo1
04-15-2008, 02:46 PM
someone here has to have re-painted a trailer... my guess would be strip and use a good primer vs just going over what's there... more costly but it'll be done right

Is galvanizing removable by sandblasting, then priming and painting or powdercoating?

BrianM
04-15-2008, 02:51 PM
With the proper primer you can paint a galvenized trailer. No need or want to take off the galvanized coating as it provides far superior corosion protection to paint alone.

wakeX2wake
04-15-2008, 02:52 PM
you'd have to melt it to get the galvanizing off... that's a metal to metal bond... no chemical process is going to separate that... sandblasting won't remove any of the galvanizing either unless it's rusted... even then it will only remove the weak oxidized metal (rust)... i'd sand blast prime and paint that sucker w/ a few coats of good paint... you're going to have to talk to someone else about a good paint... i don't deal too much w/ caustic substances unless it's inside a beer or mt dew can

Sodar
04-15-2008, 02:55 PM
Our local custom trailer builder is building painted galvanized trailers for those that dump thier boats in salt, but want it to still look good. From what I understand, galvaized metal is rougher than untreated steel, so it is just a matter of smoothing out the trailer, spraying a good primer made for galvanized steel and painting it. Here is a website with more info than you could want to know!

http://www.galvanizeit.org/showContent,291,335.cfm

kjohnson
04-15-2008, 10:36 PM
Leave it galvanized. You will be much happier when the pain doesn't peel off from rust.

wsrobert
04-19-2008, 08:39 PM
I definitely would like to leave it galvanized, but I just didn't know what I could do about making it look better.

After reading the notes from the website that Sodar listed, I think I'm going to take it to someone that does powder coating. I think alot of the places that do spray in bedliners can do the same thing here. Thanks for everyone's help!!!

MarkL
04-19-2008, 08:44 PM
You would have to use a zinc oxide primer.

wsrobert
04-19-2008, 09:31 PM
Sounds like I better let the pros handle this one. I'll just make sure to take all the comments and notes to them...Thanks again!