PDA

View Full Version : 2005 X-2 MCX Stalling at 3500 RPM

shurgot
04-15-2008, 01:36 AM
I took out the X-2 for the first time this season. It seems to consistently stall between 3000 and 4000 RPM (experienced as an immediate power loss and the engine turning to 'power-safe' mode accompanied by the check eng message on the display).

The boat runs great at lower RPMs. I have no way of checking the codes thrown by the computer, so I am looking to you guys for help. I am going to take it in to the dealer later this week, but I would first like to get an idea of what the problem might be.

I recently serviced the boat myself (oil change, impeller change, transmission fluid, cleaning of spark arrestor, etc.). I haven't changed the fuel filter recently, but I doubt that's the problem.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks!

boofer
04-15-2008, 01:44 AM
I am one to fully understand the system. But, off hand it sounds as if the computer or other device is detecting something out of limits. Did you notice the oil pressure or the temperature? How about voltage? I know some here might recommend taking a look at your fuel pump. But if it happens as you describe, I would not think it would be the fuel pump.

Does the engine completely shut down? If not, can you accelerate once everything calms down? Do you have a good battery? Just questions that I think might help others help you.

shurgot
04-15-2008, 01:52 AM
Hey Boofer... thanks for the questions! Here's what I know so far:

- Engine Temp is good.
- Oil Pressure is right on.
- Voltmeter is right at 13.5V
- Batteries should be good (1 season old Optima Yellow Tops x3)

The engine doesn't completely shut off. It goes to idle and remains there ignoring all throttle movement until you power off and power back on.

sand2snow22
04-15-2008, 02:31 AM
Sounds like your engine caught the moderator bug :mad:

Chief
04-15-2008, 05:52 AM
Sounds like the ECM is going bad. I had a LTR330 that pretty much did the same thing. Shop said it was stuck in "maintenance mode". It was replaced and all was well.

shurgot
04-15-2008, 06:13 PM
Just had it checked out. Dealer confirmed it is the ECM. $650 for a new one, installed. :mad:

Thanks for the help guys!

boofer
04-16-2008, 01:31 AM
Bummer. I wonder if you could of bought one from MYMC (Charlotte MC) and installed it yourself? I am not sure if they require calibration or anything else like that. Well, at least they were able to diagnose the problem and it wasn't one of these hard to find issues.