PDA

View Full Version : Replacing instrument panels

turkvu
04-14-2008, 07:19 PM
I have a '95 maristar and like many other around here the instrument panels have started to crack and the screws have come out in many places (and won't stay in). After doing a bit of looking around, I'm thinking about making my own out of wood and I'm wondering if anyone has any tips or things to think about before I get started.

Thanks.

Chaser_rct
04-14-2008, 08:43 PM
im not quite sure on your fiberglassing knowledge but i had a friend who covered the holes up on his maristar and made his own design it was pretty sweet!! Something to think about at least

wsrobert
04-15-2008, 12:45 PM
I'm having the same issue on my '91 240sc. I'd be very intersted to know what you do and how it turns out.

turkvu
05-08-2008, 06:59 PM
Here's a few shots of the old dash:

turkvu
05-08-2008, 07:02 PM
I decided to start w/ a couple of the easier pieces so I took the ignition and stereo surround (they were also in the worst shape). I made paper templates for each piece and transferred them to 1/4" birch plywood. I then cut the plywood using a jig saw and sanded each piece to size w/ a belt sander. Here's a pic of the rough pieces:

turkvu
05-08-2008, 07:02 PM
I then applied a mahogany finish and several coats of varnish:

turkvu
05-08-2008, 07:04 PM
A zoomed shot of the old dash for comparison:

turkvu
05-08-2008, 07:05 PM
And finally the new dash installed. Let me know what you guys think, and I'll keep posting pics as I get around to the rest of the dash.

Laurel_Lake_Skier
05-08-2008, 07:36 PM
A big improvement....looks good.

If you have access to a router with a flush cutting bit, a fast way to duplicate the shape of the panels would be to use the old pieces as your template. Attach the original part to to plywood with double sided tape and you can quickly cut the replacement pieces with the router. Nothing wrong with the method you used on the first pieces but I think the router would save quite a bit of time.

icewake
05-08-2008, 08:17 PM
one thing you can do it to make it a little more classy is to buy an big piece of the glue on woodgrain(its going to be fake but will look good) and put it one the outside of the wood. it does look good though the way it is!

turkvu
05-09-2008, 10:29 AM
A big improvement....looks good.

If you have access to a router with a flush cutting bit, a fast way to duplicate the shape of the panels would be to use the old pieces as your template. Attach the original part to to plywood with double sided tape and you can quickly cut the replacement pieces with the router. Nothing wrong with the method you used on the first pieces but I think the router would save quite a bit of time.

Thanks, not a bad idea for the rest of the pieces, the problem with these couple was that they were in such bad shape that I actually needed to kind of guess what the corners looked like.

turkvu
05-09-2008, 10:36 AM
one thing you can do it to make it a little more classy is to buy an big piece of the glue on woodgrain(its going to be fake but will look good) and put it one the outside of the wood. it does look good though the way it is!

Well the woodgrain doesn't show up too well in the pic, but there is def a grain to it, after I get a few more pieces installed I'll try to get a good shot w/o the sunlight washing out the details.

And thanks!

damaged442
05-09-2008, 11:46 AM
Looks great!