PDA

View Full Version : Marine radio cover - abnormal size

turkvu
04-14-2008, 01:51 AM
My old stereo was cutting out on me and the cover attaching the unit to the dash was on its last legs (the screw holes were pretty much toast). So, I decided to get a new marine radio cover. Once I got around to installation though it seems that the new 'standard' size is about an inch too narrow for the hole in my dash.

I think I'll need to drill some new holes in the mounting area since the old ones are so messed up...but I'm still trying to come up w/ the best solution for mounting the new cover in the old space.

All I can think of so far is buying a piece of plastic and cutting it to size and mounting it to the existing hole, then mounting the new radio cover to that plastic. Thoughts on this, or any other ideas?

BTW, the boat is a '95 Maristar 200

TMCNo1
04-14-2008, 05:54 AM
Check with the Best Buy, Circuit City, etc. auto stereo installation department and they may have a adapter kit that will work to adapt the new head unit to the old hole as a possibility for the fix.

turkvu
04-14-2008, 12:15 PM
The problem isn't getting the new head unit in the hole, the hole of both the covers is exactly the same size.

The problem is that the old cover has a wider surround.

Here's a terrible drawing of the problem: In this picture the top is the old setup and the bottom is the new. The head unit is green, the radio cover is blue, the opening is in black, the dash is grey and the screw holes are in black.

As you can see the head units are the same size in both, but the old cover fits to the dashboard and the screw holes. The new cover (and every cover I can find) isn't even wide enough to cover the opening in the dash.