PDA

View Full Version : Help! Wiring for electnic ignition conversion

leeh2u
04-13-2008, 09:23 PM
I can't get the boat (1990 Prostar 190) started after installing Electronic Ignition Kit from DIM and I want to make sure I've got the wiring correct. Here's what I've done:
- new plugs, wires, coil, and electronic ign. kit
- removed all wires from ballast resistor
- connected to the pos. terminal on coil = orange from boat and purple from new electronic ignition kit
- connected to the neg. terminal on coil = grey from boat and black from new electronic ignition kit
- direct connect purple from boat to choke

The boat will fire when the key is turned, but drops off and won't run as soon as I let go of the key. Can anybody confirm this is the correct wiring for the new setup? Any other ideas? Thanks.

Cloaked
04-13-2008, 09:46 PM
I can't get the boat (1990 Prostar 190) started after installing Electronic Ignition Kit from DIM and I want to make sure I've got the wiring correct. Here's what I've done:
- connected to the pos. terminal on coil = orange from boat and purple from new electronic ignition kit
- connected to the neg. terminal on coil = grey from boat and black from new electronic ignition kit

The boat will fire when the key is turned, but drops off and won't run as soon as I let go of the key. Can anybody confirm this is the correct wiring for the new setup? Any other ideas? Thanks.
http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=3533&highlight=electronic+ignition

TMCNo1
04-13-2008, 10:04 PM

Sound like the kill switch! Did you replace the coil with the 12V coil like here, http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=R117004, just curious?

leeh2u
04-14-2008, 07:12 AM
Sound like the kill switch! Did you replace the coil with the 12V coil like here, http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=R117004, just curious?
Yes. Replaced with new coil from DIM.

Dan K
04-14-2008, 08:22 AM
Sounds like a faulty ignition switch to me. I had a very similar problem, replaced the switch and was good to go.

leeh2u
04-14-2008, 02:48 PM
I can remove kill switch and watch volt meter drop on the dash. I can try a new ignition switch, but back to my original question....Can anyone confirm that the wiring is correct. Anyone else with a 1990? Thanks.

rob935
04-14-2008, 04:34 PM
check your messages i have sent a link you may find usefull..

rob935
04-14-2008, 04:36 PM
http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=3533&highlight=electronic+ignition

leeh2u
04-14-2008, 05:51 PM
Thanks - I did see that before I started the conversion. I just don't see the same wiring as my 1990. Just trying to confirm the boat leads (orange to positive and grey to negative).

Jerwest
07-05-2008, 04:11 AM
Did you bypass the resistor? My coil wouldn't spark until I did this. Then it started right up.

TMCNo1
07-05-2008, 10:14 AM
You just don't do away with the ballast resistor, you move the distributor side purple wire and place it on the other end where the purple wire attaches to the ballast resistor, thereby bypassiung the ballast resistor for the distributor to get a full 12v source, not the reduced voltage of 8 for the points.