PDA

View Full Version : 05 X-star extra ballast sacs.......best way

Jerseydave
04-13-2008, 08:38 PM
I have my (2) 400# sacs to plumb into system for rear lockers. Choices are:

1) remove overflow from hard tanks, allow them to fill sacs and run the sac vent hose to fittings on sides of boat..........or

2) install a "Y" ball valve off ballast pump and fill sacs seperately from hard tanks.

I think I like #2 idea more because if I only want to use the sacs I don't have to fill the hard tanks too. I know MYMC doesn't use the hard tanks because they are so far forward.

Opinions???

dmayer84
04-13-2008, 09:05 PM
Search over on mcmaster.com for 3-Way Wye-Style Brass Ball Valves that would probably be perfect for your setup.

Lennyp04
04-13-2008, 09:28 PM
How are both you guys doing? Sterling is really starting to get active! Ready for the season?

skeeler
04-14-2008, 11:18 AM
I have my (2) 400# sacs to plumb into system for rear lockers. Choices are:

1) remove overflow from hard tanks, allow them to fill sacs and run the sac vent hose to fittings on sides of boat..........or

2) install a "Y" ball valve off ballast pump and fill sacs seperately from hard tanks.

I think I like #2 idea more because if I only want to use the sacs I don't have to fill the hard tanks too. I know MYMC doesn't use the hard tanks because they are so far forward.

Opinions???

In my '07 X-2, I "Y'ed" off the ballast fill/drain line to the hard tank and it worked just fine. Just didn't have the complete control like the ball valve would give ya.

Jerseydave
04-14-2008, 11:46 AM
skeeler, you had a "y" with no shut-off valve and it filled and emptied both the sac and hard tank at the same time, is that right? Did you install a vent hose on the sac to the side of the boat?

Jerseydave
04-14-2008, 11:51 AM
Lenny, doin fine down here. Ready to splash the boat maybe this weekend. Went to the Mastercraft open house at our new dealer in NJ, Sandy point marine. Great bunch of guys who are really stoked about the wake/ski boat business. I drove the X-45 for a while and pulled JB for a quick session. Some others rode as well, but not me (too windy/choppy/cold for me.

I heard you helped Kevin M yesterday load-up his '01 X-star, now there's a guy who's excited about his new boat!

skeeler
04-14-2008, 11:55 AM
skeeler, you had a "y" with no shut-off valve and it filled and emptied both the sac and hard tank at the same time, is that right? Did you install a vent hose on the sac to the side of the boat?
Correct, "y" with no shut off. The only problem I had, was the timing out issue on the ballast timers. Not an issure on yours.
I can't believe I didn't think of it before, but my '04 X-2 I had would be closer to what you are doing. This will help, and at least give ya an idea. It worked great!

wakeX2wake
04-14-2008, 12:01 PM
skeeler... on the '07 x2 where are the pumps for the rear tanks?... i looked the other day when we were on the water... i found the intakes under the motor and the pump for the kgb tank under the middle back seat but not the other two pumps for the rear tanks

skeeler
04-14-2008, 12:14 PM
skeeler... on the '07 x2 where are the pumps for the rear tanks?... i looked the other day when we were on the water... i found the intakes under the motor and the pump for the kgb tank under the middle back seat but not the other two pumps for the rear tanks
Good question. I can't remember off the top of my head. I think maybe behind the rear storage compartments, but hopefully someone can confirm. I didn't really have the '07 long enough to take it a part. :D

Jerseydave
04-14-2008, 12:23 PM
Thanks for the pics Skeeler, that's simple enough.. I'll try that setup first.

Thanks again the the heater info and pics too. I installed my heater and shower last week, went real smooth. Gonna try it out this weekend.

wakeX2wake
04-14-2008, 12:30 PM
Good question. I can't remember off the top of my head. I think maybe behind the rear storage compartments, but hopefully someone can confirm. I didn't really have the '07 long enough to take it a part. :D

gotcha... the main reason i ask is b/c i was going to do like you said and put a Y or T (most likely a valve) in the line going from the pump to the factory tank (so i could run another line to the soft bags i'm getting)... i just can't seem to find the friggin pumps and wasn't going to take the boat apart looking for them if anyone knew off hand... i figure they're mounted like you said... behind the rear storage or under the floor by/behind the ballast tanks

boofer
04-15-2008, 12:29 AM
Or you could do this.
http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=18829

If you did go the route of the ball valve, you would also have to install a check valve on your overfills in order to keep the overfill from one tank/bag filling the other.

Many people have had luck with simply doing your first option. Apparently they have had good success with being able to empty both reservoirs, which was a small concern.

wakeX2wake
04-15-2008, 09:50 AM
for option #1... i have been told that i would have to install some type of fitting or something onto the factory hard tanks for the over flow line or i would fill my boat w/ water? any ideas what they could be talking about b/c i don't see it... seems to me i could just remove current overlfow plumping and plumb out of factory tank to bag and from bag to over flow... am i right?

boofer
04-16-2008, 12:20 AM
There are no special fittings to speak of other than ordinary hose fittings. You are correct about the installation. Input to tank (no change), overflow from tank attached to input for the sack, overflow for sack to overflow from boat. As long as you use the same size hose, all of the fittings (namely the throughhull overflow) will be the same. Now, with this configuration, you will not be able to fill only one or the other. Theoretically, you could fill the tank only if you kept an eye on the sack to see when it began to fill. You cannot fill the sack only. Despite concerns about draining both completely, everyone that I ran into with this configuration said that this was not an issue and they could drain each completely.

Now, if you go with the 3way valve than there are additional issues. Look at this rough drawing.
http://carpron.com/multisite/d/207083-2/no+check.jpg

Without the use of a one-way check valve on the overflow it is possible to fill both the hard tank and the sack and vice versa. Now, look at this drawing.
http://carpron.com/multisite/d/207087-2/check.jpg

Now, with the addition of the check valves, overflow from the sack/tank that you are filling goes out the side of the boat. When you go to empty, you need to pay attention or you could harm your pump due to the fact that there is not any air replacing the water you are emptying.

Fly High has a fairly nice all-in-one upgrade for the X-Star. Take a look at it. It comes with everything you need to plumb in additional ballast and still retain complete control of the filling and draining process. One of the members here just recently did this to his boat and wrote a post about it. http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=22708