PDA

View Full Version : Backing up the trailer/boat in the steep uphill driveway ?

David4MCSammyDuvall
04-03-2005, 09:43 PM
Hi ! I have a steep uphill driveway to the garage. Wanted to backup my trailer/boat uphill to put in the garage. I unplugged the lights & brakes to allow it to roll up. It won't roll up. My Dodge Ram 1500 truck pushed it halfway up and it just stop in the middle. Won't roll inside the garage.
Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.... :o

Mag_Red
04-03-2005, 09:50 PM
What year boat/ trailer do you have?? Disk brakes?? Drums?? On my set up (2004 PS 209 ) if you disconnect the wiring harnes, you can for get about back up a hill. I even found that if I'm parked going down a slight grade, start the truck, and then try to reverse.........it ain't going to happen. It seems the trailer still thinks it needs to apply the brakes as the brakes actuator is already depressed somewhat as you are already going down hill. ( make sense???? )

kskib046
04-03-2005, 09:50 PM
leave your lights plugged in, the 5th wire in the harness disengages the brakes

David4MCSammyDuvall
04-03-2005, 10:56 PM
My boat is 1995 MasterCraft 190 Sammy Duvall Series. The trailer does have brakes. Disk or Drum brakes ? Is there a difference ? It does make sense that the trailer thinks it needs to apply brakes.

David4MCSammyDuvall
04-03-2005, 10:59 PM
5th wire in the harness disengages the brakes ? Should I just plug in half side away ?

Mag_Red
04-03-2005, 11:08 PM
leave your lights plugged in, the 5th wire in the harness disengages the brakesThe problem with this reverse lock out is this..............if there is already some pressure on the brake actuator, the reverse lock-out will not release the pressure already in the lines.........it just keeps more pressure from building. I believe (and I could be wrong) but the lock out is similar to a Line Loc on a drag car. ie you pressurize the brake lines, press the line loc button and release the brake. The line loc holds pressure in the front wheels, while releasing pressure in the rear brakes allowing you to heat up you tires like this.............

André
04-04-2005, 07:10 AM
Mag
You miss her ?

Ben
04-04-2005, 07:17 AM
David,
My 1994 trailer has a little metal thing (about the size of a nickel) on the end of a cable, which I believe is a brake lock out. It hangs down similar to the pin on a cable that locks the trailer to the ball on the truck.
I think it is supposed to fit into the slot that the pin slides fore/aft on the trailer tongue to actuate the brakes. Anyway, I think you are supposed to put this in the slot to keep the pin from sliding & brakes engaging.
I've never backed up a steep slope, so I've never had a problem. Not sure if my brakes work too well to start with though.
Anyone else seen / used this?

lakes Rick
04-04-2005, 10:39 AM
David,
My 1994 trailer has a little metal thing (about the size of a nickel) on the end of a cable, which I believe is a brake lock out. It hangs down similar to the pin on a cable that locks the trailer to the ball on the truck.
I think it is supposed to fit into the slot that the pin slides fore/aft on the trailer tongue to actuate the brakes. Anyway, I think you are supposed to put this in the slot to keep the pin from sliding & brakes engaging.
I've never backed up a steep slope, so I've never had a problem. Not sure if my brakes work too well to start with though.
Anyone else seen / used this?

YES, this is what mine has/had ( lost it) and I believe your trailer should also, as this was before the electric lock out or disc brake era..

NatesGr8
04-04-2005, 10:54 AM
I have the same little metal thing for my 94, and if my brakes worked i would need to use it to back up any kind of steep hill. What this thing does is prevents the toungue actuated brakes from engaging by preventing the tonngue from sliding.

Mag_Red
04-04-2005, 10:56 AM
Mag
You miss her ?Hell yeah! But selling her was still a good decision...........might get another one once the newness of the C6 wears off. Can't touch one for anything under MSRP right now. In a year or two the on-line dealers will be giving 5-7 K off. :popcorn:

Mag_Red
04-04-2005, 10:59 AM
I have the same little metal thing for my 94, and if my brakes worked i would need to use it to back up any kind of steep hill. What this thing does is prevents the toungue actuated brakes from engaging by preventing the tonngue from sliding. The newer trailers should have this also instead off the electric lock out. There is a pin/lever on my trailer that is supposed to serve as an emegency lock out, but it doesn't work worth a damned :mad: