PDA

View Full Version : Polyester Resin or Epoxy

Rick_Seebeck
04-12-2008, 11:42 PM
When I put the floor back in my boat will the polyester resin work for glassing the seam where I cut the floor out?

Also, anyone who has cut out there floor and replaced the foam-- where did you get the new foam?

Rick

WilliM1940
04-13-2008, 01:40 AM
You could probably get away with polyester resin in a non structural area, but epoxy may be a better choice as it bonds cured materials better. US Composites sells a two part closed cell foam.

I left a link on this site to past problems that you describe, but they were all apparently minor. Could you fill us in on how much water you saw absorbed and its location, or was it similar to that old link?

Also, did you find the same problems with the factory adhesive used on the floor to stringer construction, was it brittle and dried out?

I don't think anyone has taken a non wooden S&S apart yet, I was assuming it was not necessary. But if the adhesive bond starts to fail between the floor and stringer, then the hull and inner liner.......could be a problem.

Correctcraftfan.com is a good place for you to haunt, (tons of rebuilds) they are more directed at old boats than this site, although a few of them have nasty words for MC's, jealous I suspect. There is a lot of cross over, people plus good information.