PDA

View Full Version : Skiing in Eagle River WI

daverbeck
04-12-2008, 07:09 PM
We are renting a place on the Eagle River chain (Yellow Birch Lake) this August. Any suggestions on restaurants you can boat to?

Anyone ski this area regularly? Want to get together for some runs? I am really the only (semi) serious skier in the family.

Dave

94 ProSport

School Skier
04-12-2008, 07:44 PM
I used to go up there fishing! I think they have a mill foil problem so I don't know if that will effect you're skiing. Yellow Birch was a good fishing lake for us. You can ski all the way to other large lakes but in the channels it's no wake.
Hope you enoy it as much as we did.

peason
04-12-2008, 08:08 PM
We have vacationed their quite often. Afew of the resturants to check out are: Chanticleer Inn - is a good spot to stop for lunch and have brats and beer on the patio - also one of the best runs is right out in front on Voyager lake as you go toward Catfish lake -tight but a good smooth run if you don't run into a lot of traffic. We usually ski on Scattering Rice lake - simply because there is not a lot of traffic. Be carefull going into this lake the entrance is shallow - but once you make it through the channel its fine - we have taken a lot of runs on this lake.
The Hiawatha on Duck Lake has an excellent lunch menu to eat on the deck too - great burgers, brats and fries. The best thing about this place is the kids can play out on the lawn while the adults sip some cold beverages.
I would also reccomend taking a trip through the lakes and taking the lift up to the upper chain - they actually lift your boat over the road and set it down on the other side - makes you a little nervous but these guys have been doing it for years and they see a lot of inboards.
unfortunately there is not a Master Craft dealer on the lakes - the closest one is over in Minocqua. If you also get a chance drive a little north to see the Chain Skimmers Ski Show in Conover, WI. If the weather is too cold or rainy to go out we hae gone up to Bon Falls to hike around the water falls.
Twelve Pines resort is also a good place to eat.
Eagle river is our favorite place to boat and vacation, nice downtown with a movie theater if it's rainy, nice people and a lot of water and alot of inboards.
Have a great time - I am sure you will enjoy it!

peason
04-12-2008, 08:08 PM
OOps double post!

daverbeck
04-13-2008, 07:42 PM
Thanks for the info!

Ole & Bonnie
04-14-2008, 07:35 AM
Thanks for the info!
I grew up there, and live there summertime every year, on east shore of Yellow Birch Lake! Milfoil is being dealt with professionally, and isn't an issue, except possibly in the river between Y.B and Heckel's Marina, other side of the 45 bridge. Chanticleer Inn, thoroughfare between Eagle and Voyaguer Lake, has a beer and brat garden--great ambiance, and an even better (awesome) dinner menu. Give us a call if you need anything while you're there at (920) 267-2398. You'll love the place. Pat & Bonnie Doyle

daverbeck
04-14-2008, 10:46 PM
Ole

Will you be up there the week of August 18?

If so we should try and get together to ski.

Dave

erkoehler
04-14-2008, 10:57 PM
We have a place on Old HWY 70 between Eagle River and St. Germain.

Best place to ski that I know of! Catch some of the local ski shows in the evenings, they are always entertaining :)

Laurel_Lake_Skier
04-14-2008, 11:17 PM
I'm on the other (Three Lakes) side of the chain for the summer. Lots of good skiing there as well, and usually less traffic. Three Lakes is about 10 miles from Eagle River by road. It is a much longer trip by boat. We ski nearly every morning (missed 3 days last summer). Let me know if you'd like to try and get together.

Laurel_Lake_Skier
04-16-2008, 08:30 PM
Catch some of the local ski shows in the evenings, they are always entertaining :)

As Erk says, quite a few shows in the area..... the Three Lakes club puts on their shows Wed. and Sun.@ 6:30. Its worth the trip to see the bridge barefoot start.