PDA

View Full Version : Wiring Tower Speakers

boofer
04-12-2008, 01:16 PM
Okay, I am just thinking through installing tower speakers. I am curious what would be the best way to wire the speakers themselves. I am looking at a set of 3 speakers (Wetsounds 3-Some). I have run into some 13ga speaker wire that has 3 sets (6 wires) of wires in one sleeve. Now, if I were to use this wire then I would only need to drill one hole in the tower which I consider a plus. But, I would need to run wires to the 2 Pro 80's from this single hole which might look odd. I considered running the same 6-wire cable to 3 holes (each hole has its own pair of wires), but that would be next to impossible. On the other hand, if I ran 3 sets of wires (one for each speaker) I would need 3 holes, but each wire would be located at its' respective speaker. Am I making any sense? If so, any advice?

Another question. Should I mount the speakers on the front bar or the rear bar? The boat is a 2005 X-2. I think that the natural location would be the rear bar, but would the speakers interfere with a rope?

If anyone has done installation of tower speakers on a similar boat with the same tower and could post some pics, I would greatly appreciate it. I am most interested in the wiring at the speakers themselves.

boofer
04-13-2008, 02:23 AM
Just to clarify the wiring. I am contemplating using a single 6 wire cable or 3-2 wire strands.

endl
04-18-2008, 12:17 PM
Boofer I am doing the same install right now. I have previous holes from 06 stock cans, wiring ect. I have deceided to us the existing wire for the Pro 80's and am going to try "hope" the brackets cover the old moutning holes on top and bottom of the tower. For the Pro 485 I have drilled a new hole beside the existing wiring harness and will run additional wires up the tower and out on top as close to the 485 wiring plug location to get as clean of a look as I can. Some problems I have run into so far: I am having trouble getting 12ga wire fished throug tower. Also the tower on the 06's is not smooth inside as there are different levels of material thickness.

I think in your case running 3-2 wire strands will be a easier install simply because will want to bring the wire out at three differnt locations on the tower. If not you will bring it out at 1 location then have to run wire from the exit location across the tower over to the other assemblies. I guess if you ran a single 6 wire cable then you could pull the respective wires through at the 3 differnet locations.

Wetsound has a extesive gallary of pictures on their website with a lot of clean installs. I have a buddy with a Supra and they just ran the wire out at one location then used cable cover and basically zip tied to the tower and it does not look as clean.

endl
04-18-2008, 12:49 PM
Another thought. If you drill seperate holes on top then you can run the single six strand all the way over to the right side pull it through then go to the middle pull it through then to the left side and pull it through. That actually would probally be the easiest way as long as you leave enought slack to pull the bigger wire through the hole then tap into the respective wire. Dont forget you will still need to put split connectors of some sort on the tower support so you can split and fold the tower.

x30
04-21-2008, 04:52 PM
I have a 2002 X30 and last summer installed 2 Wetsounds pro80's. The existing wires and hole from the OEM can speakers worked fine. I did have to rebalance the amplifier sound channels. I used the OEM amp but a more powerful one would probably be better. These speaker are super loud and can use alot of watts. These speakers are awesome.

endl
04-22-2008, 11:43 AM
Boofer, I wired mine this past weekend. I ended up having to drill another hole from the bottom side of the tower to be able to fish the wire. I had to go down to 16ga. It was a pain in the arse fishing wire ect. I found a weather tite connector at Pep Boys that is identical to the stock connector. I used it to connect the new wires for the Pro 485 so I can seperate them when folding the tower down.

boofer
04-29-2008, 06:32 AM
Thanks endl. I think that if I get to install speakers I will go with 3 separate wires. I do not particularly like the thought of either running one 6-strand wire out then splitting it (cosmetic) or trying to run a single 6-strand wire and fishing pairs out of 3 holes. Thanks for the heads up on the connector. Although we do not have to fold our tower, I do want to keep that option open for unknown situations.