PDA

View Full Version : Rudder & Drive Shaft Alignment

russlars
04-12-2008, 03:05 AM
Is it normal to have the rudder slightly off center from the drive shaft? Mine rudder is off to the left of center of the drive shaft when looking at it from the rear of the boat. When I was at the MC dealer today, I looked at several new boats on the showroom floor and noticed that some of them were off center also. However, some appeared to be lined up with the shaft perfectly. :confused:

FrankSchwab
04-12-2008, 03:58 AM
Yes, it is normal and designed in for most ski boats.

/frank

Jim@BAWS
04-12-2008, 08:44 AM
Is it normal to have the rudder slightly off center from the drive shaft? Mine rudder is off to the left of center of the drive shaft when looking at it from the rear of the boat. When I was at the MC dealer today, I looked at several new boats on the showroom floor and noticed that some of them were off center also. However, some appeared to be lined up with the shaft perfectly. :confused:

Totally normal. Slightly off center. If the rudder was directly behind the
the prop there would be some slop. This offset adds to the slight pressure that you feel on the wheel. This allow the boat to always track straight because you the driver are holding the wheel tight.

Jim@BAWS

Hunterb
04-12-2008, 12:31 PM
It also allows you to remove the prop shaft without having to remove the rudder assembly.

Bruce

EricB
04-12-2008, 12:45 PM
It is also slightly off to one side (or the other as in CC) due to rotational torque from the drivetrain. Otherwise the boat would have a serios built-in lean under power.