PDA

View Full Version : MCX vs RTP as it relates to 205v hull

brucemac
04-11-2008, 11:25 PM
this is an honest question and i've searched quite a bit with little success. not trying to ruffle anybody's feathers or start a my boat is better than your boat thing, simply searching for truth.

i'm buying an 03 X-2 with the MCX, but had it had the RTP, i probably would have still bought it. the mcx was a bonus as far as i'm concerned (isn't it?). test drove the boat and it rides on rails.

my question is fairly simple, what are the differences aside from the small gain in HP?

i had "heard" in the later model X-2's prior to the new hull design, that the RTP was plenty and some had said that it actually had more torque.

just curious. thanks in advance.

bruce

1boarder
04-11-2008, 11:41 PM
don't know about the torque, but in the x1/x2/xstar, the rtp has plenty of power for that boat. when you look at the new x2 with the mcx, you are looking at 12% more power and roughly the same in weight increase. I am sure the hull design plays in as well.

Anyway, I had an x1 with the rtp and I have a new x2 with the mcx and they feel roughly equal with the same prop. Never been in an x1x2/xstar with a mcx, but I imagine it would be one of the quickest boats in the line.

brucemac
04-11-2008, 11:51 PM
thanks 1boarder

i did find this thread, but it isn't really specific to hull

http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/archive/index.php/t-14575.html

i'm hesitant to believe the things i've heard about torque as it just doesn't seem like that could be the case, but maybe they meant at certain speeds, rpms, or something.

anyway, thanks for the reply.

vision
04-12-2008, 01:54 AM
I had an 05 X2 (205V) with an MCX and rode several times in a 04 X2 with RTP. For wakeboarding, I really could not tell a difference. For slalom skiing at 32 mph, the MCX seemed to work less, and pull the rider up with less effort. But not a big difference with the 205V hull. If I was pulling large skiers, I would definitely want the MCX.

jkski
04-12-2008, 08:52 AM
The RTP is a great motor as is the MCX and I have owned both. The biggest difference I see in terms of these 2 motors in the nex X2 is that the MCX will give you a little extra out of the hole and not have to run at as high an RPM for the load you carry. Keep in mind that the mfgs keep offerring larger and larger motors options and that they are mostly geared toward the wakeboard boat market....the larger motor is more helpful in getting a fully weighted down boat out of the water quicker. It's no mystery that over the years we have all added more and more ballast to our boats in search of the biggest wake, so to help offset that increase, the HP goes up.
I would think that some careful re-propping of the RTP might bring you closer to the "out of the hole" performance of the MCX...but I am no expert by any means and I'm sure someone else can better comment.

Roonie's
04-12-2008, 09:48 AM
The MCX sure is pretty. All that aside there is not much difference at all except at WOT. I have the HP/torque charts for the MCX vs the RTP if you want to see them. They have similar torque and hp out of the hole and all the way up to a certain point. Then the MCX keeps going after around 5000 rpm. I test drove both and honestly could not tell a difference except at WOT. As already mentioned MCX will have a little higher RPM compared to RTP but very similar in every other aspect. So the extra 40 HP gives MCX a slight edge from start to end of the RPM range but really shines after 5000 RPM where the RTP stops.

edit; my research is on the 07 X2 hull and the charts are for 07.

tr6coug
04-12-2008, 11:50 AM
Roonie's is right. I've have a friend with an '03 X2/RTP and another friend with an '03 X2/MCX. I've driven and ridden behind both quite a bit. Hole shot is very similar between both and I don't notice any difference between them while driving. The one time that we noticed a difference was a WOT speedtest. The MCX beat the RTP by a few MPH at the top end.

brucemac
04-12-2008, 01:10 PM
thanks guys. one thing though, when i tested the boat, i was WOT at like ~4700 RPM, maybe a bit more, at 50MPH on the speedo

does that seem strange? i may have hit 4800 at one point. he said there was a rev limiter at 4800.

don't know if it was the stock prop. i know it was either repaired or replaced

Roonie's
04-12-2008, 02:08 PM
thanks guys. one thing though, when i tested the boat, i was WOT at like ~4700 RPM, maybe a bit more, at 50MPH on the speedo

does that seem strange? i may have hit 4800 at one point. he said there was a rev limiter at 4800.

don't know if it was the stock prop. i know it was either repaired or replaced

It all has to do with the prop that is on there. Different prop different RPM at WOT. Yes there are rev limiters and not sure what they are on the boat you were looking at. For example my top speed is maybe 45-46mph while RPM's at 5-5100 on my 07 RTP-1 engine.

WESSTAR
04-12-2008, 02:24 PM
I have an X-star with an MCX at WOT the boat tops out at 43 ish

Laurel_Lake_Skier
04-12-2008, 02:26 PM
If you want an accurate speed reading you should try a GPS unit. The speedos on a boat may not give an accurate reading. 50mph seems pretty optimistic.

1boarder
04-12-2008, 02:39 PM
that boat should be in the upper 40s. the rev limiter is over 5000 on the mcx though. As said above, the prop can limit your rpm as well

woody
04-12-2008, 04:23 PM
05 X2 RTP and WOT 28mph..........and that's with factory ballast empty buty she's been repropped, used to do 43 ish

Aric'sX15
04-12-2008, 07:19 PM
05 X2 RTP and WOT 28mph..........and that's with factory ballast empty buty she's been repropped, used to do 43 ish

Top speed?

brucemac
04-12-2008, 08:03 PM
yeah, i know the speedo's aren't so accurate, but i would expect that boat to reach upper 40's with only 2 peeps, 1/4 tank of gas and no ballast. i was mainly curious about the rpms being around 4700. i would have thought they would have been closer to 5000, but as mentioned, i guess it's the prop. nothing to worry about is it?

JohnE
04-12-2008, 10:04 PM
Seems pretty simple to me - rtp is adequate, mcx is better. What's the argument?? If you want to save a few grand go rtp......Most of us don't need anything more....

brucemac
04-12-2008, 10:13 PM
not looking for an argument at all, just looking for differences as they relate to the 205v hull. also wondering if i should be concerened about only pushing 4700 RPM's at right about 50mph on the speedo? based on what i have read though, it's probably the prop and the fact the boat was basically empty with zero gear and two people. thanks for all the replies.

Roonie's
04-12-2008, 10:27 PM
I would not be concerned about the RPM's. Prop has a lot to do with it.

Jerseydave
04-12-2008, 11:23 PM
If your getting 50 mph at 4700 rpm's that sounds much better than average. Like someone said, check with GPS for accurate speed.

sand2snow22
04-13-2008, 12:37 AM
I would not be concerned about the RPM's. Prop has a lot to do with it.

Agree with Roonie. You probably have a prop similar to the one Roonie has on his boat. You lose a little top end speed & RPM, but gain a lot out of the hole.

Unless you foot or are racing someone to the gas station, do you really need it? Big V-8's can suck the gas down at WOT. :D

sinister_designs
04-19-2008, 09:52 PM
I have just purchased a '06 X2 with the RTP as I had no choice as the only way I was going to get a MCX was an '08 model which is just too far out of budget :(
My question is I'm coming from an older ski type hull
http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l126/sinister_designs/wakeboarding/Boat.jpg
it has a 94 model carby 351 Indmar (285hp) approx 2200lbs it did ok.
Am I going to notice a difference? Being that I have not driven it yet can't get it for another 3 weeks or so.

sinister_designs
04-22-2008, 01:30 AM
Anyone?
I'm a little nervous that I might be underpowered :(

jrcarte78
04-22-2008, 11:56 AM
Anyone?
I'm a little nervous that I might be underpowered :(

Are you gonna ride with the 2200# in the X1? In addition to stock ballast?

If so, you will have to re prop and will lose a little top end but I would think with the right prop, the RTP will be ok. Talk with your dealer, ACME, or OJ and see which prop will fit your situation best.

Edit: sorry just saw you said 06 X2(pickelfork)--hopefully the above would still be applicable though...

:twocents: