PDA

View Full Version : Started the rehab of an 83

Rick_Seebeck
04-11-2008, 08:37 PM
Just got back from a 12 hour drive to Tennessee where I picked up an 83 ss with the 440. Shamrock hooked me up. I have stripped the inside of the boat and discovered that the foam filling between the stringers is saturated with water. I cut the fiberglass floor out and am trying to decide wheather or not to tear out the wet foam or try to dry it out. I found the thread about replacing the floor but could not find anything on tearing out and replacing the foam. So... tear out the wet foam or try to dry it out? Thoughts?

justinglow
04-11-2008, 08:39 PM
I am having the same issues with my 83 I am restoring. The foam is completely saturated. I would like to know the answer as well.

Slinkyredfoot
04-11-2008, 08:44 PM
What foam? I own a boat four years older and the only foam in under my gunnels.

If it is satruated with water, I would get rid of it........

dichdoc
04-11-2008, 09:01 PM
I pulled mine (there was ALOT of water in it) and replaced with great stuff spray foam which is probably now saturated too. TB

Rick_Seebeck
04-11-2008, 09:42 PM
The foam seems most saturated nearest the injection holes. They were all cracked and open for water to get in.

Chas
04-11-2008, 09:53 PM
The stuff will never dry out.

justinglow
04-11-2008, 11:19 PM
What foam? I own a boat four years older and the only foam in under my gunnels.

If it is satruated with water, I would get rid of it........

When they went to fiberglass stringers in 83' they used foam in between. I guess as a dampening system??

ShamrockIV
04-12-2008, 12:11 AM
good luck Rick! i think u got a awesome start to a great restore job!!

sethro
04-12-2008, 12:51 PM
I think I would first find out where the water is coming from for sure. Around the injection holes, but how is it getting there? Don't want to replace foam and seal everything up only to have it saturate again.

Rick_Seebeck
04-12-2008, 05:01 PM
I am sure most of the water came through the injection holes but I did find a crack under the fuel tank near the exhaust outlet where the floor is glued to the hull. I will fix that crack with some 3M adhesive. I tore all wet foam out, have you ever seen the show Dirty Jobs! While everything is drying out I cleaned the bilge with degreaser and checked all the wiring for worn insulation.

Any thoughts on what to use to refoam the hull?

Bellinghamster
04-12-2008, 07:48 PM
I've always wanted to try ping pong balls... they won't absorb water, would be easy to "inject" into closed spaces, and could easily be removed if you ever need access to what's under them. Not quite as effective as foam for floatation due to the space between them, and I'd have no idea where to find an affordable source. Thankfully (?) my '79 is lacking any foam under the floor. Probably would sink like a rock if ever holed, but easy to drain!

WilliM1940
04-12-2008, 08:19 PM
If you haven't already, try this:

http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=2577&highlight=soaked+foam