PDA

View Full Version : alternator nightmare

RHCASTEEL
04-11-2008, 07:54 PM
Can i change from a two wire alternator to a one wire, and what problems might i encounter?

coz
04-11-2008, 07:58 PM
Can i change from a two wire alternator to a one wire, and what problems might i encounter?

First ya gotta say hi! :rolleyes:

RHCASTEEL
04-11-2008, 08:00 PM
Hi everybody,
Can i change my alternator from two wires to one wire and what probs might i face?

coz
04-11-2008, 08:03 PM
Hi everybody,
Can i change my alternator from two wires to one wire and what probs might i face?

Sorry dude! :confused: I don't know jack about engines I only know I gotta keep gas in it to keep it running and if it don't start I got engine problems. Someone will be along shortly to answer your question :D Good Luck.

RHCASTEEL
04-11-2008, 08:04 PM
thanxs for the howdy

Engine Nut
04-11-2008, 09:31 PM

Before I answer that question letme stress that if you change alternators that you MUST use an alternator that has spark arresting capability and is designed for marine use. A marine alternator will have either a on permanent label or or stamped into it the designation SAE J1171. If it does not have this designation it is not a marine approved alternator and is not spark arrested meaning that if there is a fuel leak in the bilge, any sparking inside the alternator may ignite those fumes and cause a fire or explosion. The J1171 marking MUST also be on starters and distributors.

Second, if you install a marine approved alternator that has a higher current output than the original unit, you must also increase the size of the charge wire as well as the ground wire if there is one.

Now for your question, a single wire alternator is considered a "self exciting" alternator meaning it uses permanent magnets instead of an external 12V exciter circuit to create the magnetic field to start the alternator charging. Indmar alternators are typically externally excited and use a purple lead to carry that excitation signal. If you use a self excited alternator all you have to do is not hook up the purple lead. Just make sure you tape it up carefully so it can not make electrical contact with anything and you will be just fine.

RHCASTEEL
04-12-2008, 09:34 AM
thank you for the info, you have been a great help. Hope to see you on the water real soon.
R. Casteel