PDA

View Full Version : Alpine iDA-X100M

lav
04-11-2008, 05:00 PM
Anyone have any experience with this new Head Unit Im starting a stero upgrade and am considering this (HU http://www.alpine-usa.com/US-en/products/product.php?model=iDA-X100M) It has wired remote(http://www.alpine-usa.com/US-en/products/product.php?model=MC1) A wireless RF remote with a 100ft range full speed ipod controll,Sirus or XM capability ,reads usb thumb drive ,bluetooth compatable , and it has Ai net connect ability so if you want CD it can be easily add a changer.

TX.X-30 fan
04-11-2008, 06:15 PM
I have an alpine can't remember the one, but it does all that. I love the unit and the sound quality is great.

That is a cool looking unit, I have the car stuff. Those must be new, I like the remote too.$$$$$$$$

JBaker
04-11-2008, 07:14 PM
I don't think you are going to find anyone with any experience on that unit. It is brand new.

lav
04-11-2008, 09:43 PM
was hoping someone maybe had auto HU (basiacally the same) i think it has been out for a year. TX. X30 FAN you are happy with sound quality over all. That is all I really wanted to know it has enough features to please me other wise Thank for replys. Greg

lav
04-11-2008, 09:47 PM
The prices listed on the Alpine site are MSRP I was quoted 399.99 on HU and between 100 and 150 on remote with display(not sure on these prices becaue they are not released yet) but close to $300 to replace two , i agree $$$$$$

tbd01
04-11-2008, 11:47 PM
sound quality is great and the ipod controls are the best in the industry, you will not be disappointed

IsLNdbOi
05-14-2008, 07:54 PM
I've had the iDA-X100M on order for over a month from Crutchfield. I called Alpine today to ask when it would be available and they said not until the end of June.

Ski-me
05-14-2008, 10:34 PM
I've had the iDA-X100M on order for over a month from Crutchfield. I called Alpine today to ask when it would be available and they said not until the end of June.

I just happened to have my Crutchfield book open.....$399.99 for the HU. The amps also look very nice but are $599.99.

JBaker
05-14-2008, 10:46 PM
I just happened to have my Crutchfield book open.....$399.99 for the HU. The amps also look very nice but are $599.99.

$399.99 seems like an absurd amount for a marine unit that is not watertight. And sound quality is somewhat academic when used in combination with an iPod interface. There is no mechanism involved, so every decent unit out there is going to have relatively low distortion when it is merely passing a signal. I say relatively, because you are already dealing with the extremely high distortion/compression of the iPod (although software is improving :-).) I'm as guilty as the next guy when it comes to iPods, but they come with a rather massive sacrifice in audio quality.

IsLNdbOi
05-14-2008, 10:49 PM
I ordered the X100M to use in my car and car's aren't usually the best place to try or expect to be listening to audiophile quality audio. The iPod is fine for this. Besides, if you're concerned about audio quality you could use Apple's lossless format.

lav
05-15-2008, 08:55 AM
"Besides, if you're concerned about audio quality you could use Apple's lossless format."

What is this Apple lossless and where can i find this? Also side note i did not order the head unit because they were not available when i was upgrading, and as far as I know i couldnt order the wired remote yet either one of the main reasons for the upgrade, so this looks like i will be adding this next winter

JBaker
05-15-2008, 03:28 PM
"Besides, if you're concerned about audio quality you could use Apple's lossless format."

What is this Apple lossless and where can i find this? Also side note i did not order the head unit because they were not available when i was upgrading, and as far as I know i couldnt order the wired remote yet either one of the main reasons for the upgrade, so this looks like i will be adding this next winter

I am not an expert on all the lossless formats. My understanding is that they apply only to DRM free music. Obviously, no technology will have the ability to erase original source imperfections without artificially altering some component. When measuring THD there is always N, and in regards to all audio playback, the end result can only be as good as the weakest link along the way. I don't believe you can take a 128 or 256 bit rate and turn it into CD quality. Personally, I can rather easily hear the difference between 320 and the original CD.

I have heard Apple's and a few others A/B'd in prime listening environments (though I am unsure of the original source.) There was still a significant compromise, more so in frequency response than in detail or musicality as is experienced in conventional compression technologies.

And yes, true audiophile sound is probably not achievable in a mobile environment (car, boat, etc.), but sound quality that exposes the grave imperfections of compressed audio is obtainable.

brucemac
05-15-2008, 04:07 PM
yeah, i'd want some end-user feedback too before i shelled out $180 for a remote that doesn't look all that waterproof!!!

nice looking stuff though, don't get me wrong...

ShamrockIV
05-15-2008, 04:10 PM
i have an alpine in my car that charges and controls my IPOD. i love it!!! one in the boat would be good if the remote will change the ipod!! that is the only prob with the aux in setup i have now on my clarion in the boat!! i can't control ipod!!!

TX.X-30 fan
05-15-2008, 04:23 PM
I am not an expert on all the lossless formats. My understanding is that they apply only to DRM free music. Obviously, no technology will have the ability to erase original source imperfections without artificially altering some component. When measuring THD there is always N, and in regards to all audio playback, the end result can only be as good as the weakest link along the way. I don't believe you can take a 128 or 256 bit rate and turn it into CD quality. Personally, I can rather easily hear the difference between 320 and the original CD.

I have heard Apple's and a few others A/B'd in prime listening environments (though I am unsure of the original source.) There was still a significant compromise, more so in frequency response than in detail or musicality as is experienced in conventional compression technologies.

And yes, true audiophile sound is probably not achievable in a mobile environment (car, boat, etc.), but sound quality that exposes the grave imperfections of compressed audio is obtainable.

My boat does not sound like this. :mad: ;)

brucemac
05-15-2008, 05:34 PM

i'd agree with that statement and add that it doesn't take much money to do so either. :)

sure is nice though these days with head units that read data discs, accept thumb drives and have auxillary inputs. :)

while we're threadjacking, here's what i'd like to see:

i'd like to see a wireless satellite or terestrial-based on-demand audio service. mobile jukebox if you will. with better quality than today's two providers being a must (i can't believe they call it near cd quality, lol, it's like 34kbps or something lame like that). i'd pay a premium for that service!!!