PDA

View Full Version : trailer guide posts advice

shellabargerj
04-11-2008, 01:51 PM
Guys and Gals:

I have a 78 stars and stripes and have been restoring it piece by piece. The last real piece (beyond saving up for the upholstery) is the trailer. I have used some plans (Thanks dichdoc for your help!) to re-do the fenders, but I am wondering what to do with the trailer guide posts.

How should I mount them? THe old-style screw-in pipe fittings would be pretty ugly on my new aluminum fenders, but I could do it I guess. I'd weld them in after screwing in the new pipes, but I am thinking about bolting the pipes onto the fenders.

What are some pros-and-cons of doing it this way? Does anyone have any advice on how their guide posts are attached - to the frame and through the fenders, or not through the fenders? I've given it some thought and wanted to throw it out there to folks that care.

Thanks in advance.

Jacob

TMCNo1
04-11-2008, 02:02 PM
The older trailers up thru the middle '90's and maybe even today had a tube welded under the fender in the framework with 2 holes in the side and 2 nuts welded on, with a hole in the fender above. The steel guide bar tube slipped down thru the fender hole into the tube and you tightened up the two bolts and jamb nuts. Then the steel tube was covered with a PVC tube that would spin on the steel tube, with a popriveted retainer PVC piece to keep it from floating off, topped by a colored vinyl cap.
Here is pic from underneath the trailer,
And I finished off the ugly hole in the fiberglass with a plastic sink gasket on the guidebar, I found at the hardware store or you can use a rubber "O" ring too!

stuartmcnair
04-11-2008, 02:15 PM
what? no pinstriping underneath?

Prostar Rich
04-11-2008, 03:13 PM
what? no pinstriping underneath?

He needs to get that fiberglass finished then add the pinstripping and get some show mirrors under there!

Prostar Rich

dichdoc
04-11-2008, 09:11 PM
I have the same as TMC1 on my '84 they were however siezed and bentin the holes. I left them alone they ended up being powder coated along with the trailer and I repainted the PVC with krylon fusion, added new covers and caps. I also used the round light grommets to fill the hole around the pipe. I'd think they'd need to be in the same spot as original or it might allow the boat to move sideways and prop to hit??? Just thinking outloud on that one. I'm glad the plans worked. Did you need to change anything on them and did you go with Aluminium diamond plate? TB

shellabargerj
04-12-2008, 10:33 AM
Diamond plate. It's going to be awesome. Will probably paint the trailer Navy Blue or Off-White/Grey. My S&S is light blue with the navy blue metal flake paint. The trailer, the old fender, the plans and the diamond plate are at the fabricator's place. We did make a small change - We're going to roll the fender instead of squared-off as in the plans. I am interested to see how it will turn out. The fabricator's damn good with metal - he does all the work for our farm machinery.

I like the idea of the grommet/seal around the base of the trailer poles.

dichdoc
04-12-2008, 01:09 PM
I ended up rolling my fenders too. Much more stock look. TB