PDA

View Full Version : dual silentmaster vs. baffled tips

Ole Miss Rebels
04-11-2008, 01:51 PM
will someone please help me understand something here. from what i have read on this board the silent master option for an 08 xstar with L18 is two "in-line" mufflers and four inch tips with inside diameter of 3 7/16 " without the baffles inside them. plus i am assuming you would still have the rubber flaps. (however, i have read where the flaps would no longer be required. i don't understand that aspect either). would someone who is associated with the factory tell me exactly what the modification entails in converting an 08 L18 xstar with baffled tips, rubber flaps and no mufflers into a dual mufflered option that mastercraft will approve (warranty). my understanding is that the mufflers are quieter and yet deliver more horsepower. from my very limited knowledge, quieter usually means less power. the baffled tips on my boat have a metal elbow welded on just inside the transome to line up with the 4" rubber hose going up to the manifold. do the silentmaster mufflers also have an elbow (requiring me to cut the elbows off of my existing tips after i gut them)? i am trying to use the tips i have and only gut them to prevent doing gelcoat damage by swapping the tips out. would the inside diameters be the same? lots of questions, i know but hopefully someone can answer them.

Jesus_Freak
04-14-2008, 12:31 PM
...quieter usually means less power...

Within a confined range of variables, this may be true, but certainly not a given. I would suggest calling MC of Charlotte with your specifics.

fbroen
04-14-2008, 01:47 PM
Sorry, no useful info from me -- just similar questions really.

Have 08 MCX with the stainless baffled tips and elbows like the ones you describe. Would love to quiet this down with inline silencers in addition the the baffled tips -- but how much is too much back pressure and what are downsides other than powerloss?

erkoehler
04-14-2008, 01:48 PM
Other than power loss, you also loose a ton of space in the engine compartment.

vision
04-27-2008, 10:27 AM
I just added a fresh air exhaust to my 08 X-star MCX. Unbelievably quieter. I can now easily talk to the boarder behind the boat.

I have the baffled tips and no silent master system. To purchase the Silent Master system (two mufflers, new hose connections, and new non-baffled transom tips) would have been $1350. The Fresh Air Exhaust was $400.