PDA

View Full Version : 81 Mastercraft Almost Restored

Chaser_rct
04-11-2008, 12:47 PM
It has been a long project restoring my 81 mastercraft stars and stripes and now all i have left to do is install the steering cable and the floor. I was wondering if anybody here would have pictures of how the cable is supposed to attach to the rudder in the back and how to get it center with the wheel. Any help would be greatly appreciated

jimmer2880
04-11-2008, 07:13 PM
No help, but I'd like to see pictures of the process. :)

dichdoc
04-11-2008, 09:21 PM
pretty crappy photo that may or may not help but shows the mounting point on the hull. On my 84 the rudder comes up through the "bushing" and the arm slides down onto it. Its a keyed shaft so it will only line up one way.which is pointing to the right in the photo or non drivers side. I think I just had someone crank the wheel lock to lock and measured for the "center" and then bolted it on. You will need two people or a jack to support the rudder while you connect the arm. Any help? Travis

cbryan70
04-11-2008, 09:29 PM
what type of steering helm do you have big T?

Jim@BAWS
04-11-2008, 10:18 PM
It has been a long project restoring my 81 mastercraft stars and stripes and now all i have left to do is install the steering cable and the floor. I was wondering if anybody here would have pictures of how the cable is supposed to attach to the rudder in the back and how to get it center with the wheel. Any help would be greatly appreciated

First of all upgrade to teleflex if you can. That old ATCO system is the pits !!!. The steering tube can be moved foward or back. That is the FINAL tube that the steering cable goes through in the back. There is a cap and a ZERT fitting that holds grease. Line up you rudder to the middle position then adjust your tube. Your steering wheel should rotate the same amount each way. The last thing to do it remove the wheel and rotate it to the most centered position that you want. That is the only way I know how to do it.

Jim@BAWS

Chaser_rct
04-13-2008, 01:50 PM
Thanks for all the replies i will get pics posted as soon as i get a spare second...i have upgraded to the teleflex cable and with your guys help i got the steering cable working properly but now i just have one final problem...i beleive there is a special bolt that goes through the rudder arm to clamp it together am i wrong??