PDA

View Full Version : Raw Water Pump Impeller 03' X2

VOLFAN
04-10-2008, 12:08 AM
Can anyone provide me a link to where I can get the impeller and gasket?

I have found several places to get them, but they have all left doubt in my mind that I might not get the correct one. The reason being is from the pictures, p/n's and Desc. none of them seem to be identical. I want to be sure to get the correct one with a gasket.

Also where does the lube need to be placed when installing?

Looks as if mine will be easy to work on...

cbryan70
04-10-2008, 12:10 AM
skidim.com

russlars
04-10-2008, 12:12 AM
I just called my MC dealer, gave them the year and engine information and they sent one out to me. That was the best way to be assured that I am getting the right part. They are only about $30 - $40.

bigmac
04-10-2008, 07:35 AM
It's a standard Johnson 812 impeller. MasterCraft or Malibu dealers have 'em, or you can get it from SkiDim or many other places.

http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=RP061018

http://www.skidim.com/images/0714.jpg

coz
04-10-2008, 08:40 AM
It's a standard Johnson 812 impeller. MasterCraft or Malibu dealers have 'em, or you can get it from SkiDim or many other places.

http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=RP061018

http://www.skidim.com/images/0714.jpg

I just got one from skidim along with the rear pump seal and I was amazed how fast they got it out here to AZ. :D

VOLFAN
04-11-2008, 11:45 AM
ordered it today from skidim... They are very nice people there!

VOLFAN
04-11-2008, 11:46 AM
Now... when I install it where do I need to place the lubricant you guy have spoke of using?

bigmac
04-11-2008, 01:31 PM
Now... when I install it where do I need to place the lubricant you guy have spoke of using?
Butter up the impeller itself. I use food-grade silicone because I have a bunch of it sitting around. UMP uses "personal lubricant" because he has a lot of THAT sitting around. A lot of people use dish soap. SkiDim used to staple a little tube of Johnson's "impeller lube" to the impeller blister package, which I think is glycerine (maybe silicone).

TMCNo1
04-11-2008, 01:37 PM

Oh no he dihent!:rolleyes: :D

bigmac
04-11-2008, 01:37 PM
By the way...this is your transmission cooler.

VOLFAN
04-11-2008, 01:39 PM
thanks... Did I mention I was blind? The color thing threw me off :)

TMCNo1
04-11-2008, 01:40 PM
Butter up the impeller itself. I use food-grade silicone because I have a bunch of it sitting around. UMP uses "personal lubricant" because he has a lot of THAT sitting around. A lot of people use dish soap. SkiDim used to staple a little tube of Johnson's "impeller lube" to the impeller blister package, which I think is glycerine (maybe silicone).

I have a baby food jar of GoJo in the tool box and then after the impeller is installed, I can clean my hands! Fureal!:D

mccauley444
09-05-2010, 03:30 PM
bigmac, mine popped out so fast I wasn't able to see which end goes in, meaning the which of the impeller goes into the housing (side with Johnson 812" or the other side).

Mine grenaded in the housing so I know I need to clean out the trans cooler, but anything else?

Cloaked
09-05-2010, 05:00 PM
bigmac, mine popped out so fast I wasn't able to see which end goes in, meaning the which of the impeller goes into the housing (side with Johnson 812" or the other side).

Mine grenaded in the housing so I know I need to clean out the trans cooler, but anything else?

The cooler is one thing but it is before the raw water pump (RWP) (or on earlier models). Clean out the thermostat housing and look into the vanes of both the RWP and the thermostat housing. Look in every crack and crevice of the RWP and the thermo housing. No need to remove the housing body from the block. Just pull the lid and the hoses. That said, you'll need a new thermostat housing gasket. One other place to look is at the 90 deg elbows going into the risers. Otherwise, most of the remainder of the coolant water path is large enough for most of the rubber to pass through. Here's a pic of one I destroyed last summer. Only the second one in 31 years of inboards.

If your hoses are old, they may need replacing from removal. I have bad luck with taking old hoses off... I usually put on new hoses if they need it. I have also learned to use anti-seize compound on the hoses when I put them back on. They come off a lot easier the next time without damaging them.

mccauley444
09-05-2010, 05:32 PM
The cooler is one thing but it is before the raw water pump (RWP) (or on earlier models). Clean out the thermostat housing and look into the vanes of both the RWP and the thermostat housing. Look in every crack and crevice of the RWP and the thermo housing. No need to remove the housing body from the block. Just pull the lid and the hoses. That said, you'll need a new thermostat housing gasket. One other place to look is at the 90 deg elbows going into the risers. Otherwise, most of the remainder of the coolant water path is large enough for most of the rubber to pass through. Here's a pic of one I destroyed last summer. Only the second one in 31 years of inboards.

If your hoses are old, they may need replacing from removal. I have bad luck with taking old hoses off... I usually put on new hoses if they need it. I have also learned to use anti-seize compound on the hoses when I put them back on. They come off a lot easier the next time without damaging them.

My RWP is before the cooler. My hoses are in good shape (2003 model year).

Mine looks very similar. I fished most of the pieces out of the hose from the RWP to the cooler and removed the hose from the cooler and examined it using a mirror and fished a few more out of it. I flushed out the cooler from the top of it after removing the hose and I think I have it pretty well cleaned out. I'll check the thermostat housing like you suggested and the elbows.

I shut it off when the engine warning came on so hopefully no other damage

mccauley444
09-05-2010, 06:43 PM

Image added to show part

Cloaked
09-05-2010, 07:56 PM
My RWP is before the cooler. My hoses are in good shape (2003 model year).

Mine looks very similar. I fished most of the pieces out of the hose from the RWP to the cooler and removed the hose from the cooler and examined it using a mirror and fished a few more out of it. I flushed out the cooler from the top of it after removing the hose and I think I have it pretty well cleaned out. I'll check the thermostat housing like you suggested and the elbows.

I shut it off when the engine warning came on so hopefully no other damageGood deal. You should be good to go. If you didn't heat it up any more than you say, you're home free.

What caused the water starvation for the impeller to go bad?

mccauley444
09-05-2010, 11:13 PM
Good deal. You should be good to go. If you didn't heat it up any more than you say, you're home free.

What caused the water starvation for the impeller to go bad?

I've never replaced the impeller. Never knew.

I do now