PDA

View Full Version : Don't let this happen to your lake...

tr6coug
04-09-2008, 02:07 PM
Scary, check this out. Lake Mead is becoming infested with mussels. Don't let them get into your favorite lake!

http://www.opb.org/programs/ofg/segments/view/1622

flipper
04-09-2008, 04:14 PM
They are having problems with the mussels at a couple lakes around my house. Don't think it's all that bad yet, and hope they keep it under control.

johkur
04-09-2008, 09:07 PM
How do they keep it under control? Just try to keep the lakes quarantined, or some way to actually help the lakes that are already infected?

johkur
04-09-2008, 09:18 PM
How do they keep it under control? Just try to keep the lakes quarantined, or some way to actually help the lakes that are already infected?

Hammer
04-09-2008, 10:14 PM
How do they keep it under control?
Add more pollution.:o :D

adkwaterski
04-09-2008, 10:18 PM
Marina's on these lake need to better inform people that are launching boats. All it takes is a boat whoses hull is infested to ruin a lake. Education is key.

MIMC
04-10-2008, 01:00 PM
The mussels are bad! Unfortunately we have them on our 300 acre lake - they are freakin everywhere! They are razor sharp too - will cut your feet and hands bad. Kids have to wear water shoes no matter where they go and we have to where gloves when popping the course. Not much you can do to kill them off - they will starve themselves eventually after several years. They eat all the micro organisms in the water, the water then becomes so clear, then more sun light shines deeper into the water - then guess what, more weeds than ever. Viscious cycle!

JohnnyB
04-10-2008, 01:14 PM
We have them in Wisconsin, too.

They came into the great lakes from Europe in cargo ship ballasts. They have been here for probably 15+ years.

Their larvae are water suspended. Anytime you carry water from an infested lake, you are carrying them.

The WI DNR Recommends the following to prevent transmitting:

Flush engine with fresh water for 10min.
Rinse with hot and/or high-pressure water, OR Dry for 5 days.

http://dnr.wi.gov/invasives/pubs/Zebra%20Mussel%20brochure.pdf

Here's some general info:

http://dnr.wi.gov/invasives/fact/zebra.htm

88 PS190
04-10-2008, 01:31 PM
We've had zebra mussels in our lake for a few years. Damn bass fishermen...

Anyway, our lake was pretty clear to begin with so they haven't propegated that well (fertile lakes they have more to feed on and explode and cover everything)

Chas
04-10-2008, 01:44 PM
I posted about this a month or so ago - they are closing lakes in our area left and right. I'm in Southern Cal, and they are just now allowing some boats back in. But in order to launch your boat you have to pay for a $50 inspection, and then put your boat in quarantine for 10 days. They slap a lock on your boat so you can't launch it - even if you opt to pay for storing it there at the lake - and then they break the seal on the lock and allow you to launch.

If you go to another lake - especially one which is infested already - they up the quarantine to 28 days.

Chas
04-10-2008, 01:49 PM

So far they have no way of controlling these things. Lake Mead is reported to have millions and millions of them already, and it has not been infested for very long. The little devils seem to be born pregnant, and have nothing to do but breed, clog up plumbing of all types and sizes, breed, eat all the microorganisms, breed, cut people's hands and feet, breed, wipe out spawning grounds, breed, foul boats, breed. In fact, they seem to be able to foul anything that touches the water such as docks, pipes, ropes/lines, anchor chains, intake screens, props, rudders, shafts, boat hulls, ballast tanks, fisheries and fish farms, anything.

tr6coug
04-10-2008, 01:55 PM
How long does it take for the mussels to start growing on your hull?

Sodar
04-10-2008, 01:57 PM
So far they have no way of controlling these things. Lake Mead is reported to have millions and millions of them already, and it has not been infested for very long. The little devils seem to be born pregnant, and have nothing to do but breed, clog up plumbing of all types and sizes, breed, eat all the microorganisms, breed, cut people's hands and feet, breed, wipe out spawning grounds, breed, foul boats, breed. In fact, they seem to be able to foul anything that touches the water such as docks, pipes, ropes/lines, anchor chains, intake screens, props, rudders, shafts, boat hulls, ballast tanks, fisheries and fish farms, anything.

I heard that if boats are used, yanked out, and washed, there was no threat of hull damage. Are you saying that anything that touches Lake Mead will get mussel growth?

SkiDog
04-10-2008, 03:29 PM
Damnit man, if it aint gas prices we gotta worry about, now its this!

Chas
04-10-2008, 03:40 PM
I heard that if boats are used, yanked out, and washed, there was no threat of hull damage. Are you saying that anything that touches Lake Mead will get mussel growth?

They say that the embryos are water-born, and that you can basically take a scoop of Lake Mead water and put in under a microscope and find them. Anywhere.

It seems to be true that if you pull the boat out and wash it down the hull will be fine. Five days dry seems to kill these beasts if they are in between bunks and hull, or in nooks and crannies on the trailer. I can't imagine them hurting our boats and trailers since we tend to look them over and care for them so carefully. However....

I wonder about cooling systems, hoses, manifolds, and the biggy: ballast systems? The lakes around here are especially concerned about fishing boats - particularly live wells, bait tanks and other things which take in the lake water, and which may not be able to be completely dried out between uses. And they don't care if they foul our pumps, engine cooling systems or whatnot - that's our problem. They really care that we might transport them to a non-infected lake or waterway, and that is everyone's problem.

wakeX2wake
04-10-2008, 03:44 PM
intercooled engines are most likely the culprits here... they may have a legitimate reason for cursing inboards this time...

rodltg2
04-10-2008, 04:12 PM
what if you take a spill in Lake Mead and drink some water. Will the mussels grow inside you stomach??

Sodar
04-10-2008, 04:15 PM
what if you take a spill in Lake Mead and drink some water. Will the mussels grow inside you stomach??

I thought you were "Gone"! :D :confused: :D

Better change your location! :)

Chicago190
04-10-2008, 05:11 PM
They say that the embryos are water-born, and that you can basically take a scoop of Lake Mead water and put in under a microscope and find them. Anywhere.

It seems to be true that if you pull the boat out and wash it down the hull will be fine. Five days dry seems to kill these beasts if they are in between bunks and hull, or in nooks and crannies on the trailer. I can't imagine them hurting our boats and trailers since we tend to look them over and care for them so carefully. However....

I wonder about cooling systems, hoses, manifolds, and the biggy: ballast systems? The lakes around here are especially concerned about fishing boats - particularly live wells, bait tanks and other things which take in the lake water, and which may not be able to be completely dried out between uses. And they don't care if they foul our pumps, engine cooling systems or whatnot - that's our problem. They really care that we might transport them to a non-infected lake or waterway, and that is everyone's problem.

On that note, I bet ballast tanks/bags are a problem as well because unless you completely empty them, when you refill and empty them in a lake without mussels the embryos enter the lake.