PDA

View Full Version : Extending Rudder Grease Fitting

divetravis
04-09-2008, 11:38 AM
On my 2000 Prostar 205 there are 3 grease fittings (zerks) that are supposed to be greased, one on the pivot, one on the steering cable tube and one in the rudder housing. There is an access panel inside the storage trunk that you are suppose to remove so that you can access these zerks, well I was able to see two of the zerks but there was no way I could see or get to the one on the rudder housing, it is simply too far back under the fuel tank to gain access. The only way I could get to this was to remove the engine cover, rear seat, the fiberglass seat back that makes up the front part of the storage trunk and then remove the floor panels, now I could get my head down far enough to at least see the zerk, it did not appear it had been greased since leaving the factory, the other two zerks had a blue grease around the zerk but the rudder one had a white grease. Rather than having to go through this again I decided to remove the zerk from the housing, add a hose and fitting, install the zerk into the fitting and screw the fitting to the steering cable bracket, I did have to drill and tap a hole into the fitting so that I could use a machine screw to hold it and I drilled a hole in the steering cable bracket. Now I can remove the access panel in the trunk and get to all three zerks. The access panel fit in so tightly that it was all but impossible to get out so while I was at it I installed a handle on it. I got the hose and fitting at Home Depot and the handle from West Marine. Hopefully these pictures will make this a bit clearer.

Larry

russlars
04-09-2008, 11:52 AM
Did you take any pictures of your dissassemble of the boat to get access to these fittings? I am curious as to how to get access to lube these fittings. Your description is good, but pictures tell the whole story.:)

TMCNo1
04-09-2008, 04:06 PM
Divetravis, smart thinking, finally some people are starting to use their heads, Great Job!

flipper
04-09-2008, 04:15 PM
good thinkin'

trickskier
04-09-2008, 04:53 PM
Great Idea!!! I am going to do it as well. Greasing the rudder is always the hardest part of changing my oil............8p

Sodar
04-09-2008, 04:54 PM
Where did you find the fittings? Great Idea and a very clean install!

trickskier
04-09-2008, 04:59 PM
You should be able to find everything at NAPA.

bobbyB
04-09-2008, 05:42 PM
Nicely done.

JLeuck64
04-09-2008, 06:12 PM
Now that's what I call working SMARTER not HARDER!

Chas
04-09-2008, 06:35 PM
When you drilled and tapped the hole for the mounting screw, did it go into the grease passageway? Any trouble sealing it? This looks like a great solution - thanks for sharing your idea and the pictures.

M-Funf
04-09-2008, 06:48 PM
Dangit...now there's something else I have to do to the boat...;)

Very nice work.

coz
04-09-2008, 07:20 PM
Dangit...now there's something else I have to do to the boat...;)

Very nice work.

Funny! I was thinking the same thing :rolleyes:

:D

stuartmcnair
04-09-2008, 10:50 PM
I actually have all the parts I need already...might be a project this summer...maybe if gas gets to high to actually drive it

divetravis
04-10-2008, 01:10 PM
Did you take any pictures of your dissassemble of the boat to get access to these fittings? I am curious as to how to get access to lube these fittings. Your description is good, but pictures tell the whole story.:)

I did not take pictures of the disassembly but if your boat is similar to mine this might help. Removing the engine cover is pretty straight forward, I removed the hydraulic arms, then the screws from the hinges and with the wife helping lifted it out of the boat. To remove the rear seat back assembly at the front down next to the floor there is a long philips screw on both sides that needs to be removed, I then disconnected the front arm on each of the trunk covers (I left the rear arm attached and left the trunk cover attached to the boat), then on the inside of the storage area there are two machine screws on each side that must be removed, they are philips with a nut on the back and without some light they are difficult to see, once I had these removed I took the grills off of the speakers and with my wife helping I slid the seat back assembly forward a bit and we worked it up and out of the boat, this was the scary part since it fit tightly and I did not want to damage any of the vinyl. Now you can lift the access plates out of the floor and gain access to the steering cable/rudder. I will attach a few photos that should help show what I am trying to describe.

Larry

divetravis
04-10-2008, 01:16 PM

Believe it or not I actually found the hose and fitting at Home Depot. The grease hose was in the aisle with grease and lubes and the brass fitting was in the plumbing aisle. I had removed the zerk from the rudder housing and took it with me to make sure I got the correct fitting.

Sodar
04-10-2008, 01:20 PM
Believe it or not I actually found the hose and fitting at Home Depot. The grease hose was in the aisle with grease and lubes and the brass fitting was in the plumbing aisle. I had removed the zerk from the rudder housing and took it with me to make sure I got the correct fitting.

What is the brass fitting used for? I am going to Home Depot right now and I wanted to investigate a little! Is it just a brass elbow for copper tubing on an ice maker/refrigerator?

divetravis
04-10-2008, 01:23 PM
When you drilled and tapped the hole for the mounting screw, did it go into the grease passageway? Any trouble sealing it? This looks like a great solution - thanks for sharing your idea and the pictures.

Hi Chas: The hole did go through into the passageway and I will admit I was not sure if I would need to do anything to seal it or not but after installing everything and hitting it with the grease gun there was no leakage.

I certainly appreciate all of the kind responses !!!

ttu
04-10-2008, 01:24 PM
why sodar, your selling anyway:(((:rolleyes:

Sodar
04-10-2008, 01:26 PM
why sodar, your selling anyway:(((:rolleyes:

Doesn't mean I cannot still provide the new owner with a new feature, while still providing me a project to keep my mind off selling her. :(

divetravis
04-10-2008, 01:28 PM
What is the brass fitting used for? I am going to Home Depot right now and I wanted to investigate a little! Is it just a brass elbow for copper tubing on an ice maker/refrigerator?

Hi Sodar: You are correct, it is in with the all of the brass plumbing stuff like ice makers.

Larry

russlars
04-10-2008, 02:35 PM
I did not take pictures of the disassembly but if your boat is similar to mine this might help. Removing the engine cover is pretty straight forward, I removed the hydraulic arms, then the screws from the hinges and with the wife helping lifted it out of the boat. To remove the rear seat back assembly at the front down next to the floor there is a long philips screw on both sides that needs to be removed, I then disconnected the front arm on each of the trunk covers (I left the rear arm attached and left the trunk cover attached to the boat), then on the inside of the storage area there are two machine screws on each side that must be removed, they are philips with a nut on the back and without some light they are difficult to see, once I had these removed I took the grills off of the speakers and with my wife helping I slid the seat back assembly forward a bit and we worked it up and out of the boat, this was the scary part since it fit tightly and I did not want to damage any of the vinyl. Now you can lift the access plates out of the floor and gain access to the steering cable/rudder. I will attach a few photos that should help show what I am trying to describe.

Larry

Thanks for the pics. That really helps!