PDA

View Full Version : Million Wasted on Govt. Credit Cards!

TMCNo1
04-08-2008, 09:37 PM
By HOPE YEN - Associated Press Writer
WASHINGTON(AP) Federal employees charged millions of dollars for Internet dating, tailor-made suits, lingerie, lavish dinners and other questionable expenses to their government credit cards over a 15-month period, congressional auditors say.
A report by the Government Accountability Office, obtained Tuesday by The Associated Press, examined spending controls across the federal government following reports of credit-card abuse at departments including Defense, Homeland Security and Veterans Affairs.
The review of card spending at more than a dozen departments from 2005 to 2006 found that nearly 41 percent of roughly $14 billion in credit-card purchases, whether legitimate or questionable, did not follow procedure _ either because they were not properly authorized or they had not been signed for by an independent third party as called for in federal rules to deter fraud.
For purchases over $2,500, nearly half _ or 48 percent _ were unauthorized or improperly received.
Out of a sample of purchases totaling $2.7 million, the government could not account for hundreds of laptop computers, iPods and digital cameras worth more than $1.8 million. In one case, the U.S. Army could not say what happened to computer items making up 16 server configurations, each of which cost nearly $100,000

And there is a problem with funding your Social Security Retirement, BS!

shepherd
04-08-2008, 10:36 PM
Federal employees charged millions of dollars for Internet dating, tailor-made suits, lingerie, lavish dinners and other questionable expenses to their government credit cards

In the federal agency where I work, those kinds of purchases would get you fired! On the other side of the coin, as a result of sensationalized reports like this, the bureacracy is so bad now that it takes 3 federal employees about 10 hours of time to wade through the paperwork and approval process to buy a $40 inkjet cartridge for a printer. :noface:

bobbyB
04-09-2008, 03:15 PM
Shepard- Well said!

I work for a county, and I get pretty frustrated with all the innuendos tossed out about gov't employees. Shep hit it on the head when he said that all the peeps out there who believe reports like this just cause more hoops to jump thru:mad: Ever heard of a few bad apples spoiling the whole cart? Same thing here. It's like some idiot boat driver goes out there and pisses everyone off on the lake....next thing you know ALL boaters are labeled as idiots and all kinds of rules and regs follow. The responsible boaters out there end up paying the price for a few morons. Same thing about this kind of report. Probably a few bad apples....overreact and it leads to more hoops....more regulation....higher fees....you get the picture.

I get a little sensitive about this because most of the peeps that I know working in gov't positions are good hard working people. The days of 5 standing and watching 1, are long gone. Maybe was like that at one time...not anymore.

coz
04-09-2008, 04:03 PM
He's guilty too!

http://skorcareer.com.my/images/georgebush.jpg

http://www.cybersalt.org/cl_images/1zzzzxa/g/gbnewairforceone.jpg

:D