PDA

View Full Version : Filling ballast while underway?

GreenSpirit Hydro
04-08-2008, 05:54 PM
Is it kosher to fill the stock ballast tanks while we are underway doing 25mph - 35mph or should we be in neutral? Any reason not to empty them on the move?

wakeX2wake
04-08-2008, 06:00 PM
i usually do around 15-20... in the owners manual it tells you that you need to be above a certain rmp level... you can look it up to see exactly but i just remember that i need to be going around 5-10 while filling

dsoby
04-08-2008, 07:28 PM
The minimum RPM is for the alternator output, I'm pretty sure. I don't know of any speed restrictions.

Chief
04-08-2008, 08:07 PM
Usually fill while getting ready for the first run. I fill all three at the same time. No problems to date with all three pumps running. Usually the engine is running while doing this.

ttu
04-08-2008, 08:16 PM
usually fill as soon as we launch the boat. can fill either underway or sitting still. don't think it matters.

my 07 x2 fills faster when i am going slow on my way back to the dock to pick up riders

Roonie's
04-08-2008, 08:54 PM
I have filled all 3 at idle in neutral before. Usually I am going about 5 mph and filling them then as I get ready to ride.

vision
04-08-2008, 09:44 PM
I fill either in neutral at 1500 rpm (the recommended rpm in the manual), or at speed while pulling. I can not tell a difference. We commonly empty and fill during a set to adjust for weight distribution in the boat. Now if I could get the sender in the port tank to actually read the level in the tank....

Roonie's
04-08-2008, 09:52 PM
Now if I could get the sender in the port tank to actually read the level in the tank....

Get them adjusted as I did with my dealer. They misread before and now they are spot on.

Lennyp04
04-08-2008, 10:17 PM
From what I've heard the reason they want you to go 1500 rpm is so the impellers dont get burned out as easily. Now how much of that is true i dont know. But what I do know is usually the boat is at idle and thats when we flip the switches 3 to 4 times cuz of the darn auto shut off....which I guess is a good thing to have.

Ole Miss Rebels
04-09-2008, 12:21 AM
I fill either in neutral at 1500 rpm (the recommended rpm in the manual), or at speed while pulling. I can not tell a difference. We commonly empty and fill during a set to adjust for weight distribution in the boat. Now if I could get the sender in the port tank to actually read the level in the tank....

vision, my 08 xstar port guage reads faultily, also. my dealer put a new sending unit in the tank and it still reads full when it is empty. what is the story on your port guage? thanks.

vision
04-10-2008, 01:20 AM
When I first received our 08-X-star, the gauges would fluctuate between empty and full. Even in calm water with the boat perfectly still. Or one would read half full yet the tank was full (water coming out overflow tube). Occasionally with full tanks, when you switched to the ballast screen on the VDIG they would read empty. Switch screens a few times and they would read full.

My dealer replaced the VDIG (for other reasons) and thought this would fix the gauge problem. Nope. Now the center and starboard gauge still are inaccurate/variable but at least read something. The port gauge has given up and reads empty all the time.

In my old 05-X-2, I stripped off a one inch wide piece of the ozite/carpet covering each back tank and at least I could physically see the water level in those tanks.

We only use the built in ballast to balance out the boat. I use the Fly High ballast (not connected to the built in system) for our main ballast. Fill the two back and two front Fly High sacs about 3/4s full and the wake for me is perfect.

C36
04-10-2008, 02:43 AM
Depends on the position of your ballast intake - ours is on our transom (year 2001). So for our 2001 boat:

1) it should not to be in motion while filling ballast due to the position of the water intake on the transom;

2) would not hurt to have the engine running (although not in gear) while filling to lessen the load on the electrical system (although in my case there is only one ballast pump so the electrical load should not be too great) - emptying can be done while running or stopped.

Your profile doesn't show the year or model of your boat so this may not apply - but just in case.

Is it kosher to fill the stock ballast tanks while we are underway doing 25mph - 35mph or should we be in neutral? Any reason not to empty them on the move?